Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

I was very fortunate to have seen both Burriss' race in western Pennsylvania!! John S.:D

2. racer5c

racer5c

moser

Attached Files:

3. Miller27

Miller27

Thanks Denny, Good info I will check into it. Thanks Marty.

4. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Help me on this one, I do know the 11 roadster was built by Grant King for George Snider( Snider was at the car show Sat. with his yellow 32 Ford hot rod). I heard the engine,427, may have come from Jim Hall of sporty car guy. It next went to Duane Woodward and ran as a supermodified at Madera and here on the westcoast. It then went down in class and ??? Swanson drove it in a limited class, he is the father of the Swanson brothers who went first and second at raceway park this weekend. I think is was restored by Dick Baskin here in Fresno, the car may be on loan to the Woodward museum.

5. KGB911

KGB911

The Simone Offset is in my opinion one of the prettiest Sprint Cars ever built! I was at the Copper Classic the year it was entered in both the Sprint and the SuperModified class. It was a perfect example of Rules interpretation!
    How about the time Simone ditched a perfectly good airplane off the coast!
    He had moments of Brilliance!

6. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Jimmy Bryan, Troy R. The Man!

Attached Files:

7. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Names please?:confused:

8. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

The Simone Sprinter was built by Garry Bettenhausen ???? and I saw him in it at the Copper as no.99 and black

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Paul Russo in the Bardal No. 45 1959, Bob Sweikert DA Lubricant Spl 1956

10. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Me again, Snider, Grant King sprint roadster as a super at Madera in the 80's, Woodward driving

11. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Here is the photo, sorry

Attached Files:

12. KGB911

KGB911

Anyone have pictures of the car when Wilkerson won the 1967 CRA Championship or when Wilkerson drove it as the #27 Bartz car in 64 and 65
    Wilkerson won his First CRA main event on September 05,1965 at Clovis in the Bartz #27.
    I am building a tribute car to Bartz, Brown and Wilkerson and would sure like to firm up the History. Dad spoke to Tommy Lee about the car last week and he confirmed that it was the same car and said it wasn't a trick car but was easy to set up and never crashed hard in all of it's years of racing.
    Dan Ruth

13. KGB911

KGB911

Brown was not very happy about Grant King getting a mould of the Mechanical Rabbit body!
    It was quite strange for him to experiance the very same thing that happened to Dads Micro Midget body in the 60's, both were built in the same shop in North Hollywood California. I told them both that copying was a form a flattery! That did not make them feel any better. Roy most likely remembers Fitzatrick Trailers, he is the guy that pulled a mould off Dad's Micro!
    Dan

14. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Kgb911 Remember seeing the Simone Roadster at Copper World also, Saw the car last year at Woodland's and it looks awesome!!!

If you ever saw Simone at Ascot he was a wild man! biking, wheeling, on the gas!

At Whiteman they had a sprint car event and some guys came down from the valley with a black pavement car and waxed everybody. Looked like a high dollar team, they had a boxed truck to pull the car into painted black, alot of chrome. Anyone have a idea who those guys were?

15. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Greg

Thanks for the update...

I will pass the info on to Phillipe...

Thanks...

LM

16. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

USAC at Reading from 1978. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

17. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello.

Attached Files:

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I totally agree! A replica, or a clone that is clearly stated to be REPRODUCTION is one thing, but claiming it is the real deal is something that brings on law suits. On the other hand if you have the documented engine or chassis from a race car, I'd rather see it reconstructed than just sitting on a shelf.

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

We know it's Tom York,but what was the car,and where is it,now? John S.:confused::)

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Nulls roadster.

Attached Files:

21. As a former car owner and current vintage owner / racer it is widely agreed to in many vintage circles that the chassis of a car is basically it's DNA and quantifies that as an original car. During the racing life of a car we replaced engines, drive trains, body panels and many times seats. But the chassis always remained.

22. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

And not even the whole chassis; just 51%!

23. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Sorry I don’t Know the answer... :(

24. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

If, in fact, the engine in the car came from Jim Hall it was probably by way of Donnie Ray Everret who did engine work in the Indy area for years after he had been the engine man for Chapparal and who was the engine guy for Longhorn Racing. The motor is a real honest - to - goodness 494ci CanAm motor. Longhorn used to put the thing in their champ dirt car and run it at Phoenix in the open comp shows as a sprinter - talk about rule interpretation. They also stuffed the thing into their sprinter to run the fall open comp show at the Springfield mile one year with Steve Schultz driving. It had to be the wildest sounding engine this side of a NOVI that you ever heard.

25. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

WOW great looking sprinter! Did you sell the midget?

26. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Tom York in roadsters, Any ideas about the what I think is the Gerhhardt roadster.

Attached Files:

27. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Some shots that I hope come out of the Vollstedt,
    I hope these are not too off topic for the purists here as it is a Champ Car ,not a sprint car , but it is '67 and doesn't have wings.
    This is the Cale Yarborough ,George Follmer ,Dick Simon car

Attached Files:

28. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hi Greg (trentesept), Thank you and congratulations. Thank you for the well documented history of the Rolla Vollstedt cars. I was able to follow your description of events that transpired and I am happy that you're content in owning chassis "A." A lot of us, I'm sure, are not just cageless and wingless sprint car fans here. We're fans of a lot of different forms of racing. And the pics you've posted of your car are just awesome! One reason why my interest is so high for your car is because of that amazing engine. Anyone that heard those engines run back in the day will never forget that sound! I hope you can do like Michael McKinney did and maybe post a YouTube video someday with the engine running. As soon as I saw the controversy brewing on the two cars, I thought about posting a pic of chassis "B." So, finally, here it is. (We all know who's driving it!) Thanks again, Greg and congrats.'

Attached Files:

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

Steve: Have you seen the #21 at the Gary Iron&bridge website. The car is attributed to Meskowski/Leffler. Any other history or pictures anybody??:confused:

30. KGB911

KGB911

Beautifull Car!
    But period correct,wouldn't those cam covers still say Ford on them instead of Foyt! Details, I would only guess the Ford covers cost mucho $$$$$
    I was in Victory Circle for AJ's last win in 77 with a Coyote Foyt/Ford, all those Gilmore red & white stripped uniforms. I will try and find my pictures.
    Dan