Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems with JAMCO motor mounts for 55-56 chevy. Need help!..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49Chevysled, May 14, 2011.

1. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Ordered some motor mounts for a V8 350 from JAMCO. seamless HEI type.
    They do not align right and do not sit flush against the frame as they suppose to. They are marked with the 4 on the mounts.
    One side fits flush against the frame but the other mount has a half inch gap between the frame and the flat face of the mount. which makes the motor of centered.

Talked to JAMCO ( getting ahold of someone to talk to is a different story) and arrived 2 weeks late from original ship date
    they said those are the right ones.

looking at the mounts side by side they have different angles on them.
    which to me seems like part of the problem.

the instructions that came with it have nothing to do with the mounts. they say they are bolt on types if you dont want to weld. but useless really

Any one have this problem??? or am i just doing something wrong
    ive have installed other mounts before and its a fairly easy project

ps. the wood board in the pics is the correct spacing between the mounts for the motor

Attached Files:

2. If you have any way possible use a dummy engine and trans. Set evrything the way you need it and weld them. If running an HEI GM be sure to move the motor foward for clearence at the firewall. imho

3. dannyego

dannyego

I put similar mounts in my 56. I dont remember if they were TCI or speedway, but they went in what looks like the same position no problem. I drilled holes and bolted them in. There is a bolt end (rounded off frame attachment) right infront of where they should go. Just but it up forward untill its touching that on both sided and you should be good to go. They should flay pretty close to flat agains the frame.

4. dannyego

dannyego

on second look, whats that extra metal it looks like you have under them attached to your frame?

5. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

its not an extra piece its the plate where the rounded bolt your talking about goes through. i cleaned it up so i could tack in the mounts. but since i havent been able to make them work they are still just mocked up.

if i put them against the rounded bolt then the mounts will be to far apart. wider than the motor.

6. what is that dimension?

7. dannyego

dannyego

did you get the motormounts that match up with these mounts?

8. dannyego

dannyego

here are mine installed

Attached Files:

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Swap the two mounts from side-to-side leaving the board bolted in place. Will that change the angle for the better and still leave the distance correct?

The mounts you have look like they're mounted backwards from the instruction picture.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

what type of mounts did you use?

these are the one i have on the engine (in pic)

Attached Files:

11. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

i tried that. it doesnt work. it throws off the angle completely. it turns the angle inward towards the engine

12. dannyego

dannyego

I bought mine from speedway. There is really only one place the mounts fit on the frame. Will they sit flush if you put the where they are supposed to go in the manual?

13. dannyego

dannyego

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294793

Maybe this link will help. My measurements weren't working out so I just bit the bullet and put em in where the diagram showed. Everyone told me the measurements were off and it wouldn't work. Ended up fitting perfectly. Go figure. Pm me if you have any other questions about your driveline swap. I did it a couple of years ago so I know what fits and what issues you may run into :)

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just put a pair in and gave up on the mounting instruction measurements. Just hung them on the motor with the motor mounts and lowered the engine into the car. Once it was in they still didn't lay perfect like the instructions say, so we wiggled the engine around until they were close, then tack welded them in place through the holes.
    After that we pulled the engine out and welded them up solid in every edge I could reach. Dropped the engine back in and it was great.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I had a set from Danchuk, they looked exactly the same as yours. I bolted my mounts to the engine, placed the engine in the chassis bolted the chassis mounts to engine and welded them in place. They never fit the chassis perfectly, but I never had any problems.

Pat