Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the best era for cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d.reese, May 16, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing against the Y-block, but I never did understand why Ford went with stacked intake ports....

2. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

For me, there are two simple criteria:

Purely style, I'd say 30's. That's when the horsecart-inspired looks were completely banished and pressing techniques gave us some of the most incredible curves in history.

Engineering and performance-wise, the 60's are tops. Yes, some of the innovations were actually from the 50's, but in the 60's they turned mainstream, which is a good thing. And styling wasn't bad either, it definitely was well above the 70's stuff. It all went sort of downhill from there.

Cheers, Eddie

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

WTF?:eek:

5. djmartins

djmartins

This is it, except I would go a little earlier than 55.....

6. bob-o

bob-o

'55 to '67

But I still love 30's and 40's cars.

7. rld14

rld14

Tough call, and does this have to stay Trad or not?

Mid to late 50s, that was a real watershed era with Cars... high horsepower outputs, and a lot of "luxuries" that we take for granted today were brought into mass production then; fuel injection, power accessories, cruise control, disc brakes, unitary construction, modern air conditioning, etc.

After that? Mid-Late 1980s. That was another real watershed era, ABS Brakes, modern style electronic engine management, cars that were fast AND low on emissions, air bags, electronic chassis controls, etc.

Still, I REALLY want a 56 Lincoln :)

8. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup!!!

9. 61bone

61bone

The best era for cars started about 1894. Every year there has been something we could get behind and wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in.

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I think it depends on when and where you were in high school.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

1930s was a great style period . Lots of deco looks and flowing lines , most were rolling prices of art . I mean the 36 ford , 39 merc and the numerous zephyrs that screamed tail dragging deco meanness

12. Teens first. Cars had just thrown off the reins, figuratively, and had developed their own look, as distinct from a horseless carriage. Everything was still new enough that there was a plethora of ideas about how to do anything.
    Take just engines: 'T' head for performance; 'L' head for most; yet there were OHVs, OHC's, Hemis, blowers, and most all else in-between. Not since the teens have you have as much choice.

Secondly, the 60's to '70. Pre-governmental influence, for the most part. Styling reached it's peak, safety be damned. Comfort would only go down from '70 on. Power conveniences were at a level that aided most driving, yet had not reached the gimmick level of today. And these cars are imminently driveable. Plus, they will probably always remain repairable, as there are no electronics in any of them.

As I work in a dealership, I have checked: many cars from the 80's can no longer be repaired using factory parts. This includes computers for F.I., ABS and others. Whether you like 80's cars or not, you will see less and less owing to parts non-availability.

Cosmo

13. garyf

garyf

Best looking body styles in America in my opinion were built 1940 and 1967.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

1932, 1957, 1967

Ago

15. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

No, not straight up TRAD, I was hoping for everything I've seen so far. Just wanted some of the old timers to fantasize, that if they were much younger would they prefer the 80's, over the 90's or the 10'' over the 80's. I believe there's a ton closet members on here, that just look and listen only. Trying to pull some of them out to:)

16. can't be answered.

17. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Probably the best response of all. The 30s cars were wonderful and the 50s -60s were great. I'll get my butt kicked for saying it here, but I really think we're in another golden age of cars today. Some of the new performance cars are just amazing. Huge horsepower and torque, decent mileage, and stylish to boot.

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Don't worry, some of us got it. Sarcasm is a terrible thing to waste though. ;)

19. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

cant really pinpoint it to a certain decade, but i do love cars n turcks from '34-'59. :)

20. sbin

sbin

The best era for reliablity,braking, handling and efficiency is now.
    Styling is a personal preference but lots of great looking machines from 30's to 60's
    70's and 80's were pretty lean times some of the new stuff is outstanding!

21. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

22. Deuces

Deuces

Are Roman chariots traditional enough???

23. rld14

rld14

One of my all time favorite cars was made in the 80s (88 M5) and I own one.

But that being said, here's food for thought:

When I first started screwing around with actual cars I was 14, and that was in 1989. Back then people were actively restoring the stuff that's covered here, Muscle cars were becoming big in the resto scene (In that they were becoming valuable) and about the newest stuff that "collectors" were into were probably the last of the real British sports cars, as in MGs and Triumphs up to about 80/81.

But imports and exotics aside (IE Stuff that never got cheap Like Porsche 911s and Ferraris, etc) cars from the 60s were collectible and people were working on em, fixing em up, scouring for parts, just like today.

So 50s and back stuff was real big.

Fast forward 22 years. I don't see 81 Eldorados being restored, but 59 Eldorados are still big buck collector cars just like they were when I was a kid.

I don't see people restoring 87 Thunderbirds, but 65s were being actively restored when I was a kid, and there's no big business in resto parts for 80s T-Birds.

In 1989 a 1958 Chevy would turn heads, make people smile, draw a crowd, etc. Will a 1980 Caprice do that today?

In 1989 The last of the E-Types were only 15 years old, they were collectible and were being restored. Today the last of the Jaguar XJSs are 15 years old, and I don't see anyone restoring them or them bringing a fortune in the market.

I said it 20 years ago and it still rings true, 70s and 80s cars will simply NEVER be the collectibles that the earlier stuff is. IMO a brick wall was hit. Granted there's exceptions, but those are exceptions, not the rule (Buick GNX, Hurst/Olds, Corvette ZR1, BMW M3/M5/M6) and hardly any of those cars are worth, inflation adjusted, anywhere near their new or late model used car values.

20 years ago nice 59 Caddies weren't $5000 cars.....

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

For looks ... the 1930's hands down :D

For performance ... the 1960/1970 era.

Most here can really appreciate the style, grace and beauty of the 1930's cars.

Also the 60/70 era had FAST, high performance kick butt cars for a reasonable price. Most any young man could afford one if he really wanted one.

Unlike today ...
    The new Mustangs, Camaro and Hemi cars are fairly quick ...
    but you about have to be a old grey beard to be able to buy and insure one. :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. Deuces

Deuces

I paid mine off... :)

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have a 35, a 46 and sold a 66. Haven't had 50's yet. Love them all. Personal preference but I loved that old BBF 390 FE.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's easier to determine the eras that I don't want. I have no desire to own anything made prior to 1926. Fun to look at but useless to me. Then 1974 to date. If it came from the factory with a catalytic converter, I'm really not that interested.

Kiss my ass if you want me to choose only one decade between those two dates. Which one of your children do you love the most? I certainly don't like every car made between those dates but there are more keepers than losers.

Besides, it may change as you get older. I hated muscle cars when they first came out. Rich kids with a payment books trying to keep up with an Olds powered Deuce coupe. By 1966 I was lusting after a 4spd Olds 442. Still do.

If you are so narrow minded that you can only love one era then you are a bigot and not a car guy. IMHO:D

I'd have told you that you were completely nuts if you told me in the late 60s that I would ever be building a 56 Ford with an FE...but I am and digging the shit out of it.

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm with all the 50s guys here,taking into consideration somebody once said "the 50s ended in 1963".
    As far as second choice goes;
    I'm with all the 50s guys here, taking into consideration somebody once said "the 50s ended in 1963"
    Paul

29. It can be answered and has been its just that no one will have the right answer, because everyone has a bung hole.