Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Junior Off His Leash (My Shoebox Build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geiser, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

After many years helping my father build his toys and occasionally driving one of them with him to some local shows, and after lurking in here for over 8 years now, I'm starting my own build.

I would like to use this as a reference and guild lines as I work on this through the years. Kinda great that we can use the HAMB forum for such a wonderful tool!

1951 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan

Plans:

Engine/drive train:

351M/400 w/ Lumpy Cam <-- this is still in the air. I'm worried about clearance with this larger sized deck. I might just have to make it work!

Looking at Toploader 4 speed or a BW T5 to go behind it. Thinking that the T5 will have clearance issues.

8.8 Ranger rear end. May keep the stock until the keyway gives out.

Body:

Shaved doors and sides. Going to Hardtop Chop it 4-5" with a slanted back. (Already looking into ways to get around the door window seal issues because I live in Ohio and dry weather with sunshine is limited.)
    Going to Louver the hood and attached some REAL spots. Front bumper was going to be the stock but I'm throwing around the idea of attaching some 1956 Cadillac Dagmar bumpers after seeing this pic:
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any info on who owns this shoebox please let me know!

Front end will get the Aerostar front coils treatment to lower it. Maybe even with a coil cut off of it. Back end will be getting the C notched frame, (for future bags), with 4" lowering blocks. Keeping the leafs for now.

Keeping the steel wheels on it. And I think I covered everything I can think of at this point.

Pictures as is (stole some pics from original owner):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and.....

[​IMG]

Just kidding! :D

-Geiser

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you have a pretty solid base to start the project on and a pretty solid plan. You might have to go with hardtop/ragtop doors like Yuri did on his carson top shoebox to do the hard top thing. Then you would only have to sweat getting the quarter windows to seal.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great project son.
    I really don't care for the grill on that black one although I'd prefer to see some modification to the 51 grille.
    That rear roof slope is killing me... Way over board :)
    Ha I have a good corner in my garage for that rebuilt 8BA! :)
    I inspected this body it is solid as hell.
    good luck!

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nice! I'll be following this one.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Nice, solid car. However, 55 years ago in my corner of Ohio, the car would simply have been nosed & decked, lowered in the rear, dual pipes, shaved '51 Merc skirts, and (just maybe) had some go fasters added to the engine. With that the car would have reigned supreme until the late '50 cars hit the used car market.

6. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

How about the bull horns then? :p

I agree. that slope is too much. Going for a 4 in front to a 5-6 in back. We will eye ball it when you come over to help me chop off the roof. :D

7. RDR

RDR

Good for you....committing yourself by starting this thread! Years ago I gave my son a chopped/sectioned 51 Fleetline project for all his help with my projects....Well, he up and sold it instead of finishing it and things were a bit tense for a while...I got over it, but guess what I might be thinking is that your dad is proud of you taking on a build and seeing it through,huh?!... Keep up the good work and the dream...now it's dads' turn to help

8. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Stripped it out saturday getting ready for the chop. Started my tape cut marks also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a ATF teach-n-fun tool box with a bunch of goodies in it!

[​IMG]

9. captainflight

captainflight

10. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Finished putting in the 3" lowering blocks in back. Still not happy with ride height.
    Think I may need to de-arch the springs or remove 2 leaves.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

The left side was sitting a tad higher then the right. (I took the shocks off and I believe it was just sitting at a "high point" when I was bouncing the rear end to settle everything.) It will be around 1" lower then shown.

11. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

After scratching my head as to why my rear end is sitting so much higher then others I seen and not believing that my leaves just aren't as sagging as much I did some quick research. Found out that my back shackles on the leaves were upside down! Apparently back in the day they did this to raise the back end.

Picture as is:

[​IMG]

Original Position:

[​IMG]

Going to flip them tonight. Should get my back end down a good 4-5 inches.

12. 76cam

76cam

Wow great start!!!! good luck.....

13. GO DAGMAR!
    Great project. I picked up a sweet '49 last year but not had time to do anything with it yet. And I like that one with the Caddy grill you posted! Kinda over the top but WOW!
    Keep us posted with pics. Ya started the chop yet?

14. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looks like your off to a good start.
    keep us updated with the build

15. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Sitting alot better now......

[​IMG]

16. SHRUM

SHRUM

Wow didnt know that about the shackles mine was the same way. always was to high for me.

17. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Crazy huh. Thank god for the endless information on the internet!!

I'll be shoving in the Aerostar coils this weekend and cleaning/grinding/sanding/undercoating the crap out of the underbody.

18. neat build
    just alittle aside when a car is stipped to a rolling shell it will sit a tad higher then it would if it was finished....... lessweight for the springs to hold up

ill be watching

are you going to use the 51 grille? ....i could :D

19. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Front coils in. Sitting pretty good. I can expect it to be 2" lower when the guts are back in. Chop is this weekend.

[​IMG]

20. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Cool car.. Hope to see it crusin around someday.

21. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Chop Phase 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I would have thought you would tack some braces across the rear window piece to make sure it didn't spring out of shape when you removed it. I imagine you'll find out when you re-install the glass and rubber moulding in it.
    Great work and a fun project. Always loved the 51 Fords since I had a convertible way back when.

24. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

Thanks!
    That formed piece was solid as a rock when it was taken out. Not sure how it could deform but we are the chop rookies here!
    I'll take the back window and fit it in to check. Probably should put some bracing on when we re-install it.

25. Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep at 'er.

26. Tin Can

Tin Can

looks like you started off with a really solid car. The chop is looking good so far

27. That chop looks perfect...wanna do mine?

28. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Looks good

keep on

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes, We plan to test fit the rear window during the panel installation. Thanks for the heads up.
    Now comes the fun part. I love the fabrication work!

Now you guys will have to get some ski ropes if you plan on driving around standing up in the trunk.

[​IMG]

30. big creep

big creep

you really made me laugh out loud!!! hahahahaha to funny!