Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 gmc 100 truck building in Ga

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dawai, May 16, 2011.

1. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

[​IMG]
    As purchased from neighbor. my 57 gmc 100 truck.
    [​IMG]
    Note the 160mph speedo w/42,000 miles???? tach in original dash..
    [​IMG]
    Ladder traction bars???? Chevelle 12 bolt?? no clue except it looks like a moonshiner's truck.
    [​IMG]
    This week...I took a wire brush on a grinder and the old paint "spun" off the firewall and windshield frame, roof.. I osphoric acid sprayed it, Da sanded it, wiped it down and shot black primer and clear coat on it. Windshield frame is ready for glass.
    Sat the 72 4 bolt 350 into it I have had since the late 70s.. this is the 12th chassis it has been in. Last was the el Camino where it twisted the center out of the flywheel. I traded the 400 turbo for a 5 speed w26 spline front shaft. Will have to buy a 11" Iroc Disc, a 11" pressure plate to fit my old flywheel off the orange motor. (mix and match)
    [​IMG]
    To mount? I bought a front saddle mount off a 5 ton truck, will add wings to it to go out and sit on frame rails on cushions.. the truck mounts on the engine I was going to use were going to run right into the brake lines and emergency brake. It has to offset one inch to the passenger side to clear the stock steering box with the stainless headers.
    Has 5 lug car hubs on the front, I got the Speedway motors Disc kit circled in the book, thou money is tight..

I have been having so much fun with this one, the others are pushed back into the dinky weeds. This past week, the harley has gotten dusty from sitting.

The tooling has been made to do the cab corner profiles.. I think the pictures are on allmetalshaping where I used to be a active member. That home made overhead helve hammer did them in one pass. It's made from scrap, old jeep spring.. and out performs every Factory machine I have ever saw in use..

Yeah, that's my bulldog's ass.. He's in every picture somehow. He's part of the security system and my best buddy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Great Post, Keep adding more pictures as you get farther on the project. I Like the real posts where a guy does his own work, Rather than one where a guy posts pictures of his car that someone else did all the work for him. There is always the reward you feel for doing the work yourself.
    The history of your motor adds to the story too.

3. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

beautiful truck. i'd like to know its history. someone was pushing it hard before you got it. i love the big, chrome grill and bumper.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I used to have one of those, wish I had another, cool project.

5. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

The Patch panel I made on my home made overhead helve hammer for this truck.. SURPRISE TO ME, the one I crushed was not the only one I needed.. the other one was constructed of bondo.. Surprise.. huh??

I was wrong, the youtube video link, description, and specifics of the guided helve are on Metalmeet.com not on allmetalshaping.. Search overhead helve.. my user name the same there as here.. more videos on youtube.. under my user name there ibewgypsie..

This was made in one pass. Using the home made tear drop dies there.
    My favorite shaper on it is a simple rounded bar over a harbor freight rubber mallet. I am working on a pantograph, you take a pin gauge and set it to the contour you want to match? then cut it.

When I make the next one? I'm gonna make a half dozen to hang from the ceiling, cause I love to slide corners on gravel roads..

Attached Files:

6. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

great trucks! my chevy has been through many engines and changes over time. its a keeper! congrats on your 57 build.

7. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Then the motor saddle I bought.. well... Looking further.. I got the side motor stands from the mid seventies.truck on it, I cut plates yesterday to put the top mounts in.. Took about a hour to get that engine where I wanted it in place.. The bottom side of the loops were "floating:.. so I tied them together with a flatbar A simple crossmember will have to be made... Better for the future if I ever decide to put a power steering pump on it.

And that hand I hit with a ball peen hammer knocking out the Pontiac motor mounts? It keeps telling me I broke it.. A minor setback.

I'll be searching to see if anyone else has put similar mounts into this chassis.. if anyone has a link.. post it please..

8. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

THE truck stands are back in.. USING scissors, cardboard, a soapstone pencil and a plasma cutter.. I cut out the parts.

Tack welded in there.. I just pulled the engine back out (3rd time in this chassis) And soon as I feel like it I will weld her in solid.

Getting them stainless headers snuggled in there. they are supposed to fit a 74-80 chevy half ton two wheel drive truck.. It was a chore.. I got room for the distributor on the back, low enough to get the T5 in there.. and offset to the passenger side about a inch.

I can't wait... I am still waiting on some sales from the other toys to finance this project further.. Had lots of talkers and B'sers.. I got $1800 in parts on a list.. and I am doing it cheap.. Rough, fun, and runnin daily driver is what I am after.. something I can clean up as I go..

Attached Files:

9. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Depressed economic times locally, the area runs on Carpet and Sales. Sad story huh? I'm working on my own toy with a couple of nickels in my pockets. Kinda figuring it out as I go. This is what I came up with so far.

I needed brakes on the Hot rod, my 57 gmc 100. Master cylinder was Pouring, the previous owner had put a windshield washer reserve on it to fill up on the firewall and a tube in the top.. I guess he'd fill it each time he drove it. Wheel cylinders Ordered, came in wrong. I got the drivers replaced.

New Master cylinder: I bought a 1967 G20 Chevy Van dual port master cylinder cause it had drum brakes all around. (Orielly's less than $20, Original MC at $350)

Side mount plate.
    Laid the old MC on a plate, took them transfer punches and marked the centers on the old MC on the plate. Then scribed around it including pedal mount, cut it out, cleaned it up on belt sander so the slag would not make me bleed.. (again)Drilled the holes 1/2",

End mount Plate:
    Then stood the new MC up.. marked the end size on a plate, burned it out as close as I could, then used a rat tail file to fit.. Pushed center through hole and marked mounting holes.

Welding two plates together:
    While bolted to the end plate. I figured the "centerline of the old one on the side plate. THEN measured the pedal centerline from mounting plate. Got the old MC in proper position, leveled the centerline in the vise, then leveled the new MC in place on the scribed bore CL after checking pedal centerline by adjusting it sideways , tacked it in. Checked it all several times.. (ocd)

I tack welded it all together, 3/32nd 7018 Low Hydrogen stick welder, about 120 amps.
    Check fit the bracket under the truck, fits fine against the mount and clears everything.
    Then I welded it up in the vise.. SO FAR..

Pedal Mount:
    Problems.. well my cnc mill I use to drill the "big holes" with would not boot up (to really screw something up put a computer on it). I can't build the swing pedal mount there on that round part on end.. can't paint it.

I THINK.. the swing pedal is parallel to the frame.. so if I tram the head square with the bed, then drill all the pivot brackets at once it will be square right? I could do the same thing with a big drill press and a square , if I had one. If it is OUT of square the pedal going through the floor will "scrape" and give me a fit. Anyways.. I added the gussets around the new MC.. seems to be as strong as any other GM MC mount now.

Now if someone could tell me what brake fittings I need?? I think.. a 1/4" flare plug for the other side, a flare Tee, and some line to couple the two front brakes on the one end and the rear on the other port.. Odds are, as it has been in the past I'll run all new line.

Thanks TO Hamb for the idea for the 2 port newer and safer MC.. I looked for the previous post to just add to it.. could not find it.
    Thanks to Hamb for helping me figure out "what kinda" clutch to run.. I got a 1979 TransAm M-21 11" pressure plate and disc to connect to my Iroc 5 speed and OLD Orange engine w/flywheel from my old 1 ton. That nutso transmission has a crooked mount, I had to build a cross member and weld in a crooked pad.

Motor mounts.. 20 hours in them buzzards.. in hindsight it'd been much easier to clip the old truck.. I am now gathering parts for the "build #2 with disc clip. if I live that long. Right now I am cleaning up the body, welding in new panels.. and gonna have fun with the old truck. It's gotta be fun, it was made the same year I was born.+

Funny thing while ordering them new parts.. as I was typing the other night, the parts were going up.. half the parts increased as much as 25%.. as I was placing the order.. I cursed myself for not poking place order button quicker..

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

keep on building! Subscribed!

11. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Setback 1, That didn't take long, huh?

Dropped the 5 speed back off the bellhousing onto my chest, was using it to set drive shaft length, build cross members.. find floor HOLE for shifter..

Pull Auto flywheel, tap SS flywheel pressure plate holes, put SS flywheel on engine, zipped down tight. Got the new M21- clutch out of box. Slid under neath. TRY fit the plate on the transmission looking for " spline burrs" or anything that frustrates you while bench pressing them. transmissions into place. Whooa.. stop the truck.. too large.. .

Spline is correct number of teeth, but about 1/8" too large on disc.. Back to drawing board. Box is KO'ed.. so.. It's mine to hang on the wall.. I'll look for the "T5 post" later to modify the information if possible.. get the numbers off my T5.. part number.. etc..

EDIT: infor..
    14 teeth main shaft, Diameter .95". M21 is a 26 Tooth 11".. pressure plate matches my flywheel.. so I guess I Need to find a 11" 14 tooth disc

This will give time to belt-sand the cross member, clean bellhousing, and driveshaft, paint shaft and Let Pat Powdercoat the rest. He is in Rome Ga, a Airplane frame-metal shaping guy with a 18 foot deep powdercoat oven. And as my buddy. we trade back and forth.. you should see the 283 script v-covers on my wall.. Orange and clear coat.. whoo wiee..

(did you know? Having two creepers is cool.. I set fire to one of mine when I started a Rod up with a demon carb.. it was pouring gas, helluva fire. upholstery is ruined.. but.. YOU lay your parts, 5 speed or "flywheel" and pressure plate on it, roll it under the truck.. then it is "there" without draggin it on the floor) I got one aluminum panned transmission that is almost ground a hole from moving it around the shop..

A buddy gave me some parachute buckles.. They look perfect for shoulder belts-harness. Gathering up all the old "hotrod junk" I love.. my cal custom barefoot pedal, 8 ball off my Lowrider shifter, Ooga horn, and the fuzzy dice. Pat said he'd give me a lesson in Bomber seat building. (to match the buckles). THIS truck is meant to be "FUN".. as I get there. All this junk has followed me around for years, never outgrew it and never will..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  12. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Yeah.. I had "several" T5's here.. NOW I got two.. I got rid of a bunch of old engines and probably will send a few more on.

My Camaro 26 Spline transmission is gone. I sure was puzzled when the 26 sp plate went onto the main shft and spun.. I looked around.. it has been gone a while.. probably when the 4.3's I had under the bench got gave away.. (all scrappers are honest, right?)

I do have a Mustang T5 left.. 3.9 first gear, 10 spline input shaft. If I can get ahold of a adapter, a blow proof bellhousing or make one..

SPent the whole morning trying to make a Computer run on the cnc.. Kinda frustrated enough to put "buttons" on it. I got ten grand in a bridgeport boat anchor milling machine. without a computer that's what it is.

Please do not call the SPCA because I ruined a striped squirrel's habitat.. he got evicted from under the seat. Pat assures me I can build a pair of bomber seats. SO.. here that project is added to the first build of this toy.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sounds like a really fun build. I'll be following this one. Oh! And don't you worry about the squirrel incident. You're secret is safe with us! :D

14. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

So.. I gotta rebuild a bulldozer before you can move a mountain? 15 year old OLD pattern torch coming out of retirement, put it back together yesterday and today. It used to be on a 55 gal drum, TO make that transmission adapter and cut a precision hole in plate.

Leveled cutting table, mounted post-stand no less than 3 times till I was happy, last time on a adjustable plate. Leveled mounts for swing arms after messing up height to table, Leveled top of post with grinder, mounted Part of the (10 year long) cnc gantry project to hold patterns on a 10" dia 1/2" plate, w rotary on top w.arm.
    That big ole flame cutter sounds like a jet while lit.. it has to go. I may keep the rack and adjustor off it. That's why it got retired, it used up $80 worth of gas in a few hours and burned a 3/8" crack in the metal. A smaller tip for this torch was +$100 way back then too.
    My Chinese plasma cutter can slice 1/2" like butter, 250pc consumables was $35. I can afford to feed that.

Crank adjustable eccentric to cut circles drawn up in pencil-blueprints. AND a HOOP to "scribe" pencil, or 1:1 print outs of computer designs and plasma cutter will copy underneath. (will post when completed) I normally work with scissors and cardboard templates for parts.

If you are building one, keep all three links parallel (1st bearing, 2nd bearing, cutter-tracer probe) and level so it swings level, the bearings are simple 3/4" flange bearings pressed into round tube and 3/8" threaded rod.

After I made up my mind to use the WC mustang tranny, someone found me a clutch disc.. it is from a S10.. a 14 tooth 10" plate.. free.. That tranny is just good for 180hp so I read. It'll fit behind my buddys 283 in his elky. AND the 23T project can go-fish for a tranny.

Attached Files:

15. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Posted a longer write up on build of Plasma "hole cutter" over on Metalmeet.com Will take more pictures and write up dimensions when diss'ed for painting.
    http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9085
    About ready to bore hole in 3/8" plate for mustang transmission, then bore hole in 3/8" plate for chevy transmission, then marry the two after indexing to each other into a mustang-chevy transmission adapter.. and going on with this build.

Looks like'a I found a way to cut the instruments into the next stainless steel dash huh?.. or?? what ever I choose.

Obsessive compulsive disorder- mechanic-rod building? ya know, when you decide to cross the river in your hot-rod, sometimes you gotta build a bridge first? 1st bridge nearly done. needs paint and a handle on the circle cutter.

Attached Files:

16. Looking good, excellent workmanship. Where in north GA are you? I'm at Rockmart.

17. I'm told chevy made an 11" 14 spline disc for the '85 astro van with a t-5...hope it's true because I need one too..
    BTW, I'm using a 57 GMC bellhousing in my 34 ford project. [early pontiac engine/5 speed] I have the bolt-on ears on the housing but need the frame mounts or photos of them..you know, the ones you broke your hand removing. Still have them for a photo?
    Sounds like you're having the correct amount of fun building your truck...

18. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Rocky. Yes.. somewhere.. unless the scrap man that got the Iroc tranny has them.
    I'm going to a wedding today for a buddy.. Will look tomorrow.. Pm me your phone number so I can leave a message if I find them.

There's yours if I can find them. I am in North Georgia 20 minutes south of Chattanooga TN.
    As soon as I get that master cylinder mount done, the original mc is junk to me. Maybe rebuild able. I have to have it to check the pedal location till then.

I have two of them bellhousings here. neither off this project. both have been torched out for late model starter.

19. I'm loving this thread. Good job, man! I think a '57 Jimmy is my favorite 50's truck. Love the look of that front end! Keep posting your progress. Subscribed.

20. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Going sideways here. Sold a tractor to a buddy, took the cash part of the deal and was going to buy the glass, then a buddy who works construction had a job and no cash to get there..

They worked him a week then furloughed him.. Aww.. love them construction jobs. He's back, and the pay check is in the mail.. so they say.

I got the cnc mill running with the laptop. I can drill the brake MC mount square up now.. in the morrow. That bugger is crapped out, mice living in it, wiring severly screwed up by Pitt bulldog.. (I think he was after a mouse) but it still runs.. and if it runs, run it..

Projects.. the stainless air cleaner top, not worked out yet, I am going to pre-stretch the next one on the ewheel. Set up a radius attachment on a cheapo beadroller.. it amounts to a slot on a table and a flatbar that fits the slot with a bolt welded to it.

Other gadget there is a thing to drill round bolts or tube for lock wire..

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9156 Did this for the 23 project.. took about two hours.

THE power hammer is kicking, and I got them cab corner dies mounted.. have to cut some blanks out.. OR make a four foot long one??

I also swept the floor a few times.. so.. It's happening.. Not to the speed I like.

Attached Files:

21. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Took a dump truck air cleaner, large element, big diameter, set up for HEI, and made some "scoops" for the sides.. reminicient of old?? flow like a beast, (large diameter element) and "ALMOST" what I want..

I screwed up the welding underneath, had to get out the mig, it's a flux core job.. and I dirt daubered it.. well.. if someone "looks under there" they deserve to find out I cheated..

Have to hook up that kitchen stove in the shop and try out that puffer powdercoat gun I traded for.. after I hook up the bead blast cabinet laying in the yard for two years.. after.. I eat lunch..

Time to swap them heads for the 2.02's.. and the intake for the snowflake, and..

(parts ordered for the cnc, replacement drive so I can do the adapter, I chickened out on the plasma circle cutter).

Attached Files:

22. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

My inner panels are much better than I thought. I do have a door hinge "welded" in on the drivers side I have to address. It also has a foot tall strip of bondo in the door. (typical old hot rod) Mine actually had a whole lotta surface rust and little inner rust. People who "saw" it wanted to buy "parts" off it thinking it was too far gone to rebuild.

Windshield Glass was supposed to be here today, I got the windshield frame and cowl shot and clear coated. THE young guy called, said he had to reschedule a time when he had "3" installers available. One inside pulling, one on each front corner. NOW.. I am not a kid, I am 54. I was working at a shop as a mechanic in the 70s when building a 55 chev truck.. Kyle's auto glass sent a one armed man down who put the windshield in the truck for us. I was stout as a bear, but was sure I didn't want to arm wrestle him.

I guess installing curved glass is a "lost art too" ? I won't say a word to these young glass installers till I get mine in Come this Wednesday. All I can say further is they will be lucky I no longer drink a lot of beer. (instant asshole, just add beer)

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. sololobo

sololobo

MY fave 50's truck as well, just love that front end. My bro x-derelict is selling his 55 G.M.C., that is on a newer Siverado chassis for a very low price, if I was younger I would tackle this one. Yours is really taking shape nicely. Enjoy this cool rig bro. ~sololobo~

24. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I got the cnc up and running. Rewired the parallel port cable where the pitt bulldog pulled the cables out.. It must've had a broken wire in the insulation. (wiggle work, wiggle quit work) . I can fix that master cylinder mount and complete it now. I ran three small programs without it going "insane" and shooting off in a wild direction.

Powder coated in a kitchen oven the temporary air cleaner lid, got the snow flake intake bead blasted after two hours of working on the blaster.. Finally I took the pick up wand, dropped it into a gallon bucket and shot the intake. It has some problem in the nozzle, I took it apart like 20 times, will not suck properly on the hose. THE intake should have been clear coated over the matt aluminum finish, but I blacked it. It is slick, but not as good as Pat does them. (he's supposed to pick up the inner fenders and batt box, and 23 T frame here)

Windshield.. ADVICE needed.. they re-nigged on the install.. wanted to increase the cost to $450 for just the windshield. They are selling me the windshield outright and delivering it this morning at a deep discount.. I've never put a curved windshield in. I've seen a couple.

I think.. you place the rubber around the glass, put on the cowl in place, then shove the top up, from inside, start the upper side of gasket by fingers.. then shove it on up as far as it will go.. use twine across lower edge before setting windshield, saw twine across lower edge over the lip back and forth to get the gasket onto the lip.. breakage comes from?? shoving a side in too far at a time, or warped glass not bending back correctly??

Any advice will be appreciated.

(the guy bringing my windshield to me, put side glass in my 59 chev delivery 20 years ago) So I won't be harrassing him as much as I planned. He did kinda dump on me tho. I think it is a percentage failure and "time invested thing".. I can take a week putting it in if I have to. If he takes a week, he'd be employed next week at Burger King.

25. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Pretty good day.. the glass is made in China. It mostly fits.. I had to stretch the cab there on the drivers side with the port a power..

Just did what I remember seeing.. sawed the string back and forth after getting the top started, I did hang the sandbag on the lower part to keep it pressed "back". Worked the gasket around, went inside and got one of the wife's spatulas for cake? a small knife like with no sharp edge and broke like a trowel.. I snuck it back into the sink just now. There is one spot I think it needs to go back further on the drivers side. AND a flaw.. a scratch over about middle.. and a chip on the lower edge.. it'll be allright I think tho.. they may both develop cracks..

Pedal mount, drilled the hole for the swing pin. the hole for the lock.. welded the two together then had to belt sand the warpage back out. Looks like it will work.. I powdercoated it black to stop rust. That kitchen oven is working out for small things.. I had to twist the intake manifold cross ways in the oven tho.. it would not fit laying down flat.

After the windshield went in, I emailed the wife and told her to buy a lottery ticket on the way home.

Attached Files:

26. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

ya got to be kidding.... glass made in china for old cars and trucks

27. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

I was so about to order the van mc, then I saw the fab on the bracket. I'm not that good. i'll have to stick with the kit.

28. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Black Lion.
    Important measurements to make a mc mount.. pedal offset, pedal pivot location.. so pedal can go through floor board. I can get a measurement on the MC bolt spacing. and the center hole for the MC so you can see if the cheap van master cylinder will fit the $60 Speedway bracket..

I'm not that good either, I am slow and think things out all the way around.. In thought thou if you have money, the $60 mc adapter at speedway is much cheaper than two days labor.
    (all my tools are home made, including that 1976 cnc made from a old "paper" punch tape machine")

TT, they "said" it was made in America on the phone.. "the installer Said so in person" the Sticker on the glass says different. I'll get a picture.. HOW can they make glass and put the glass companies here out of business like they have all the tool manufacurers? I mean.. I needed clevis'es for the 23T.. No way I am going to put Horsepower on the ground through a chinese clevis.. everyone who has broken a suspension part under power had crashed I know of.

I am so beat up today, I awoke each time the advil wore off. My shoulders feel like I boxed ten rounds slapping that glass into place.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  29. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Home made FORD mustang transmission to chevy bellhousing adapter build:
    1) I made a pointed bolt 7/16ths I think. on the lathe that screwed into the bellhousings.
    2) bolted the bellhousing down onto the mill bed.
    3) installed 1/4" pointer in mill spindle
    4) manual jogged mill till pointer and sharpened bolt lined up, wrote down measurements
    5) using a old version of autocad, using center hole to align two bolt patterns I super imposed one over the other.
    6) printed out bolt locations..
    7) cut a 11" wide x 9" tall square plate, lower left front is 0,0 bolt holes drilled in these locations and you can copy with any drill press with readout or.. if you are real good you can print the pattern 1:1 out and punch the drill holes.. lemme tell ya, that 5.114 hole is a "bit"... well..
    Ford pattern, drill and tap 7/16ths (I think.. maybe metric?)
    x1.1513 Y7.1527
    x8.7865 Y1.1190
    x2.4870 Y0.9122
    x0.9207 Y7.7225
    Chev pattern drill .48 hole
    x9.855 Y7.7225
    x0.7824 Y2.9160
    x9.9293 Y2.8378
    x9.2430 Y7.5307

5.114 center hole at x5.1004 Y5.7374 Chevy bellhousing I have has a larger hole in the center to carry the pilot shaft.. it does not "rest" on the edge.. meaning it does not carry the load like the center on a car wheel.. so?? the center can be larger than needed.. if the other holes are "perfect".. I am making mine fit tight, cause I like to turn things loose at times.

Top right TWO holes missed, all others lined up. (drill bit went off on a tangent?). NOW.. I don't remember when I calibrated the 1976 model cnc last, so do a plywood test pattern or sheet metal and check on your machine before committing to a steel adapter. It is supposed to be "right" but.....

I am laminating three 1/4" plates to make the required 3/4" thick spacer-adapter. Reason why the plate is so large. I plan on bolting them together around the perimeter.

Attached Files:

30. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

She made me sign back in.. double post.. sorry..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011