Register now to get rid of these ads!

25-29 chevy goldmine/barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty1295, May 11, 2011.

1. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

My dad through some luck walked into a gold mine of 25-29 chevy parts the other day and just got back from surveying everything. Thought you fellow car folks might enjoy a few pics.

Guy is older (80), has some medical issues and knows time is short. He has been collecting parts for the early chevy's for decades. As you can see everything is organized and sorted.

The pictures only show some of the parts. In total I think my dad said there was

6 titles
    8 frames bare frames
    2 rolling chassis
    Several engines
    a row or 2 of fenders
    a few wheels, when is last time you saw a wood spoke wheel, let alone a stack of them
    ~100 boxes of organized parts/labeled. Each box around 40lbs
    A few cowls
    1 coupe
    2 roadsters
    2 roadster trucks (no beds)

I have not seen the stuff personally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

3. kisam

kisam

Wow! If he comes across a nickle 27 grill, please pm me. I have been looking forever!

4. WOW!!!... just WOW!!!

5. wow... a grown man's field day

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He hit the Mother Load. Bet there might be a Father /son Chevy project in the near future.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

WOW!!! I need a ton of parts for my project! A 26 or 28 title, some 28 rear bones and a set of 26 doors would be awesome!!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

I suspect you just might be correct in that statement. Most of you guys know the wood frames in these old cars once gone, leaves you with a pile of parts not a complete body. I believe there is a coupe my brother and dad have spotted that is complete enough to make a project out of. The neat thing for me is my brother (seen in some pictures) and my dad ~ 10 yrs ago really didn't talk at all. My brother growing up, and cars have brought them back and they spend a few days per week in the shop now.

Dad has ideas to save a 2nd car also. Just will take awhile to inventory it all and see what is there.

Most the parts will be for sale at some point. As you can see it will take awhile to inventory what is there, and what its all worth. Some items obviously will not be worth much, a few items could be real treasures.

He has a "collection" of parts to build a 29 chevy coupe there also, would you believe he has the ORIGINAL 1929 title to go with it?

9. Killer find!! Congrats!!!!

10. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Stuff is still out there. Any 27 Aluminum grill shells?

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Great stash, is your dad is getting all of it, or selling it for the old gent?

Looks like the old guy obviously ate a banana or two in his life....

12. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

He is going to be getting all the parts. Guy has several cars complete and running that are not part of the deal. Not even sure they are for sale.

Guy knows what parts are worth, just wants them to get in useful hands vs a scrap yard. His time here with us is short due to some medical issues that have hampered his ability to work on cars anymore.

Plan is for dad to transport all the parts to his house and start to inventory things keeping 2 cars for him/brother. Rest of parts will be researched as to what they are and eventually sold over next year or 2 hopefully helping a few other cars come back to life.

Just going to take some time, and being he wasn't an expert on these year cars before this adventure it will be a big learning curve at the same time. I am sure some of the parts are worth a lot/rare, other parts probably scrap value. Knowing what is what is the trick though.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that is a score , what luck enjoy the goodies

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find by your dad and a nice save all around. The older gent had the forethought to sell to someone who would put the parts to good use or pass them on to someone else who will and your dad will do just that.
    I wish we were closer together as I sure could use a bare frame right now for one of my projects.

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Me likey old Chevs.

16. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

Ty is Dad in Indiana as well . Man I have got to start peeking in more barns in my travels :D.

Rick

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

He has a "collection" of parts to build a 29 chevy coupe there also, would you believe he has the ORIGINAL 1929 title to go with it?[/QUOTE]

That is a real gold mine of a find. I did see an aluminum 28 chevy grille in the mix of parts, and I have all the parts to build a 29 chevy coupe also.

18. that's awesome good luck with the projects.

19. RAY With

RAY With

Wow a total gold mine. Its not every day a barn full of old parts are found and I hope they will find there way to those who need them.

20. bct

bct

great score ....i'm de$perate for 1 ladeau iron for 28 sport coupe.....when you get this all sorted out let me know if you have one....thanks

21. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

The parts are closer to you than you would want to know. I won't say much more yet.

No, job has forced me to move away from "home"

I will refer back to this thread when that time comes. It is going to take awhile to sort. He is looking at 3 trailers maybe more, plug truck beds, etc to haul it all home.

I think the first project they plan to build is a roadster. My dad is fired up and offered to help my brother finance the project. We were discussing suspension and engine options last night. Probably be something fairly simple and mostly traditional. We shall see.

22. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Wednesday my dad starts to gather the parts and move them back to his house.

Now included in the deal is something kindof cool. 1926 chevy coupe (really a pile of parts to build one) with an original 1926 issue california title.

23. bct

bct

gotta be like christmas around there....

24. lickyleo

lickyleo
    from ct

hey great find, i'm looking for a frame,and maybe some other parts. I got my 29 from a long time freind, he started building this car when he was 12yrs old, it was done by the time he was 16. 5yrs ago he got rearended and bent the frame bad , the car does need rear quater work but it is fixable, we had alot of good times in the car, and now I have it and want to restore it with my son,if you think you would be willing to part with a frame let me know
    I hate to put a new school frame under it . thanks let me know Bill

25. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Yesterday was the first trip. They took a 20ft enclosed trailer as well as an open trailer. The goal was to spend night there last night and head back today. I heard they had some brake issues with tow rig just shy of the destination, but with 2 tow rigs and 6 guys I am sure they got it resolved fairly quickly.

I am guessing it will be 3 loads maybe 4, but we will see.

Hopefully more pictures to come.

the goal is to make sure he has enough parts to build complete cars to go with the titles. Maybe not the most profit that way, but we are car guys and would rather see complete cars than parts. It will take awhile to take inventory of what is there, not there and what everything is worth.

26. lickyleo

lickyleo
    from ct

how much for a frame or rolling chassie for a 29-30

27. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

No 29 or newer stuff. Nothing for sale at this time anyways. Be awhile and will post anything for sale in correct location here when it does happen.

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And we all secretly hate you, too! LOL. Amazing stash. Congrats. Gary