Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG with questions about 17" Gennies on a '55 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenone, May 15, 2011.

1. greenone

greenone

Greetings! I've been following this forum for a number of years now and just recently got something HAMB friendly. My wife and I drove to LA and picked up a 55 F100 a few weeks back. It's a pretty basic deal 302, AOD, 9" rear and mustang II front. I'me getting ready to pull the motor so I can box more of the frame, fab a trans cross member and replumb the brakes and fuel lines. None of that really NEEDS to be done, but I'm going to do it anyways. On to my major question...I want to run some gennies on the truck, and I was thinking 17's would be an old look but a little more modern. I've been searching for a few days now and haven't seen anybody doing anything other than 15's or 16's. Tire selection is a little less in 17 for tall and skinny, which is what I'm going for. Anybody have any experience or advice about 15 VS 17"? Here's a pic of the truck going on the trailer in CA.

Thanks,
    Aaron[​IMG]

2. Nice truck.
    And thats a good question. I've only seen 15's and 16's on F-100's also. I'm building a '56 and have been thinking of going with 16's. Maybe you can borrow a 17 inch rim and tire from somewhere, just to try it out.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say not only no but Hell No. Nothing looks sillier than over size wheels and little low profile tires on older trucks. Real trucks have to have some rubber showing in the sidewalls.

I can see where you could really use some good looking wheels though. Those rather have the "special of the week" look and don't really add to the looks of and otherwise really nice little truck.

4. greenone

greenone

Thanks! And what are you talking about!! The wheels on the truck now are Boyd Coddington..maybe you've heard of him? I should be able to sell them for decent money given his current situation. hehehe! I know what you mean about the low pro tires on older cars and trucks..loks like butt. I was going to try and use 29-30" tall tire so I was thinking there would be enough sidewall to look good. I was also thinking I would drop it another 2" and I'm not 100% sure a tire that tall would clear in the front.

5. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Personally, I think you should go with 16" ... when you lower a truck over 16" rims, they look big enough.

6. greenone

greenone

I was wondering about that too. A taller tire will raise the truck some, but dropping it back down will probably have it sitting about as is. I was planning on buying some regular modern radials for it. I plan on driving the crap out it and my wife wants to drive it as well. I haven't really looked into the 16" tire selection.

7. i wouldnt go with 17s. Ive always thought it looked hideous on trucks like Mr48 said. I would go with 16s and give it a more practical stance.

8. It seems like there are a lot more tire choices in 16's than there are for 17's.
    What type of wheels are you planning to use , smoothie steel, polished alum., or ?

9. greenone

greenone

I was going to use a Gennie...probably from Wheelkid.

10. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I would go with 15 or 16" 65 profile tire. Any thing less in profile looks silly on any truck, let alone a traditional ride.

11. v8 garage

v8 garage

Yeah. We heard of him, but since you are the GREENONE I guess you haven't noticed that billet wheels aren't exactly HAMB friendly. LOL
    V/8

12. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

**cough*** dick says what? ***cough***

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Please consider 16 inch wheels the Max and 70 profile tires the Min.;)
    Paul

ps.Just cause I've heard of Sweeney Todd doesn't mean I'd get a haircut from him

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. greenone

greenone

I was starting to lean more towards the 16's as well. I definately did not want to run a low profile tire. The look I'm after is a stock truck that's been lowered. Thanks for the help. I should be able to get enough cash for a six pack if I scrap the wheels on it now:D

15. 17" wheels are uncommon for a traditional look - how about 16's up front and 18's out back? A 265 70 18 will be a little more than 32 1/2" tall.

Steve

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have always wanted to set one of these trucks up with 17" steels and a 55 0r 60 series tire. You would keep thr sidewall hieght reasonable and do a bit better job filling the wheel well, plus end up with a lower aspect ratio to help get around turns. I have always thought the thing that kills most 17" and bigger combos is using short sidewall 40, 45, and 50 series tires. There are plenty of 17" tires out there in the 55 and 60 aspect ratio to supply the s.u.v. drivers out there - probably more so than 16". As far as the Coddington wheels go, you can probably get some o.K. dollars from them. Not every body is into the traditional kinda thing...