Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is some amazing work, Woodguy. But so were all the great woodys you've built in the past. I didn't know you were ill. God bless.

2. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Woodguy,
    Those are some great looking & well detailed slot cars. Thanks for sharing.

Comment(s) on Bullfather's posts 10021 & 10020....the #2 blue & white coupe is Graeme Bolia at Shangri-la, with a HEMI!! Probably just before he moved to the McClure Ford #15, which I think was sometime in the late 60s. The #62 coupe in 10020 might have been decent looking, if they hadn't cut away most of the pillar behind the opera windows. As it is, it is BUTT-Ugly. Gawd....what were they thinking!?

3. George M.

George M.

I didn't know about Mathon owning the car, but I do that that Joe "Chicky" Malave bought the car, put a Vega body on it and ran it as #17 with John Michalowski and Bobby Holmberg as his drivers. Probably after Mathon owned it, I'm guessing. There are pictures of the car somewhere on this thread. Here's one...
    [​IMG]

4. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I remember Mathon with the Cougar, he had a Hemi in it, and what I remember most is that he looped the car at both ends of the track NUMEROUS times.

5. Thanks Al, for posting this. Vince was a true legend of the golden era of stock car racing. He comes from a long list of famous racers from the Kutztown Pa area including Freddy Adam, Rgas Carter, Red Coffin, Charlie Gilmore and many others. When you discuss Al Tasnady, Budd Olsen, Bobby Malzahn and others Vince must be in that conversation. RIP from a fellow Kutztown native.

6. cfl7171

cfl7171
    from Western NY

Yup, I remember that as well, Hank was a rocket down the straights and couldn't get around the turns to save his life. If I recall one night, they did a brake test at Islip (you drove through turns 1 and 2, down the backstretch and then hung a left into the figure 8 course and had to stop at the X). Seem to recall Hank didn't get it stopped to well. If memory also serves me right, Siggy Bunse couldn't get his Mustang stopped at all. When was the last time you saw them check brakes at a racetrack?

7. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I think the intention of a lot of those "chopped tops" was to improve the driver's line of vision. Aerodynamics wasn't a part of the modifieds back then, as their speeds still were more limited by tires than anything else. Look at the previously posted pictures of Dutch Hoag's Camaro. The roof of that car was really hacked up.

8. Moselli

Moselli

Leadfoot is spot on about aerodynamics. There was a belief or paradigm if you will, back in the coupe and coach era that aerodynamics didn't matter or come in to play on a track that was a half-mile or less. I think Troyer, Evans and Bodine were happy to let others believe this.

The other thing that happened in the mid-sixties was the placement of the motor in the chassis. The engines were moved back toward the center of the car. If you look at some of the old pictures posted, you can see the extremes. Some of the modifieds were almost mid-engine cars.

To a point, the set-back of the engine and the associated weight distribution gave advantage, but too much set-back became a disadvantage. Coupled with a short wheel base, these cars were very difficult to drive.

I heard several drivers during that period say that when then drove cars with engines set back they couldn't feel where the limit of the car was before it would spin out.

Regards,

Moselli

9. Moses has spoken!

Hahaha I love this guy, your so knowledgeable it's amazing. Then I look at your picture, with the beard and I can't help but chuckle thinking how great that photo is! It reminds me of a Greek philosopher. We are truly blessed to have you have with us! Thank you for your contributions!

10. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

Interesting.
    Other effects that normally come with moving the center of mass rearward, towards the middle of the wheelbase, include:
    - better off-throttle turn-in,
    - better braking,
    - more traction,
    - more understeer at exit of turn.

One thing that, to some degree, can be done to compensate for a driver's reduced feel of chassis rotation is to position driver farther towards the rear.

11. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

As an example of this, look at the stars and stripes S/360 coach (formerly the Snyder/Warren #44 and Diffendorf 26, better known as the Flying Cockroach); the motor's rearward and so is the driver.

I'm still amazed that that car, given the lightness of its construction, has somehow survived all these years.

12. ganga

ganga

The only place I ever saw it was Danbury.

13. Moselli

Moselli

Thanks very much for the nice words Bullfather.

When I finished my tour of duty with the Air Force in 1970 and went to college on the GI Bill, I had the chance to spend the summers with my friends working on asphalt Modifieds in the Upstate New York area and getting a chance to hang out with some real legends of racing at that time.

As an Engineer, I was always told to not reinvent the wheel, so I spent a lot of time as a sponge, taking in information from other racers and learning from their experience. As Yogi says, "You can observe a lot by watching."

I try to jump in on this forum and share that knowledge when I think it's relevant.

My current project is a 1936 3-window coupe Vintage Asphalt Modified.

Regards,

Moselli

14. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Moselli, Have you posted any pics of your project on here? Your avatar pic is who? Did you spend any time at Shangri-La?

15. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

I don't know whether you've ever driven a mid-engined car where you sit near the front axle, but it makes a big difference.
    If you figure that, in terms of maintaining control, the main thing you're trying to sense and react to is lateral movement at rear axle as it pivots around front axle: if your butt is directly over rear axle, your body is moving 1-for-1 with the rear axle. Instead, if your butt is in the middle of the wheelbase, your body is moving only .5-for-1 with the rear axle.

16. Quoting Yogi Berra, nothing better! Love to see the project when it's finished, is there any plans to make it a tribute? Or is that staying sealed until it is revealed?

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  17. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

Happy Birthday Gordie.
    I thought you guys would be interested in seeing the progress on the #99 Bodine Valiant project.
    Racing Rip

Attached Files:

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

wow!

19. jmh

jmh

Racer.. That is cool!! Looking good!! Keep posting!! John

20. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

a few more danbury

Attached Files:

21. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

22. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

the other photos did not seem to save, try again

Attached Files:

23. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

danbury

Attached Files:

24. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

My two favorite drivers, Fred Foshay and my son Matt. If someone knows of a coupe similar to this 39 to repaint/build a replica please let me know. 203-499-7956

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  25. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great stuff from Danbury ... please give some years if you can. Thanks.
    Joel

26. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Not sure, my dad started taking me when I was around 3 . The photos must me from 1967 to 1970 or so..

PS The 07 kart in the right of the photo is Travis LaJoie's who is around 8.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  27. pepboy

pepboy

Do you have any pictures of the 12 that ran at Drummonds,Sorel,Thee Rirers,Quebec in 70's?

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Nice old Danbury shots, my boss bought the 007 from Eddie rRchie for fifty bucks, just for the wheels, had me cut it up with a torch...talk about a used up car... that was it. Had one of Fuzzie Baer's old 34 bodies, and gave it to a guy who never paid me...wouldn't be surprised if he still has it, (and he owes lots of folks money), PM me if you want his name...

29. monksfan

monksfan
    from fonda n.y.

Lou Lazzaro's very first win pictured here.Lou had to borrow Junior Bianco's name so that he wouldn't get docked NASCAR points for running a non-sanctioned track.Junior was Louies lifelong friend & crewchief.The Track is the old Victoria Speedway.

Attached Files:

• vict.jpg
      vict.jpg
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
  30. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Great Monk Pic, do you have any of Starter "Chet Hames" ? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.