Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painters with Candy experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, May 14, 2011.

1. 69fury

69fury

I've been learning as much as i can about candies, pearls, metallics, non-metallics, gold leaf, and turned gold leaf at the same time as trying to decide what color i should paint my falcon.

I've never been much of a fan of reds, because I tend to think they have too much orange, or look too maroon. Candy Apple Red over gold or silver is attractive, but I'm looking for something that really jumps out at me (especially if it's gonna be red).

I saw this pic online, and the description is Candy Apple Red with red variegated gold leaf, but the clear was not applied yet... Not ever doing candy before, I assumed it would be glossy even before clear (or is this just the look of color sanding?)

My question: Can this satin candy effect be recreated with a satin or matte clear coat to make it durable? I like the way it appears and think it would look great with regular or turned gold leaf but dont want the paint to die an early death due to UV/whatever...

-rick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Why go to the trouble and expense of Candy Apple Red if you want a matte finished product. You would definitely need a matte clear coat to protect the painted surface. Red attracts the suns rays BADD being the worst colour for sun fade.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree with METAL...why bother with the expense, time and talent to shoot candy, and not have it shiny.
    Just plain stupid.

Like the Polish Olympic Gold medal winner...having his medal bronzed. (I'm Polish, I can say that!)

Pick a color to match that shade of candy and shoot it with flattener.

4. Racewriter

Racewriter

Or paint it candy, make it shine, and have something that kicks ass.

5. greazy john

greazy john

i like candy,she is fun

6. That Triumph tank would look so much better glossy. (glossy)Candies look great with goldleaf.

And yes Rick, your Falcon would look much better glossy...I really don't understand this mat and satin look.... I really hope this trend goes away faster than pink and lime green windshield wiper blades

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Gotta agree with whats been said already,a matt finish will kill everything that makes a candy paint job great.

8. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

A matte finish over the gold leaf would ruin most of the reflective properties of gold leaf and make it look more like gold paint. I also agree with everyone else about not making it shiny, you would lose the depth that candy gives you.

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

This satin shit is going to be as dated as the '90s pastels in a couple of years.

10. Home depot has flat paint in every color you can imagine, it is called house paint.:rolleyes:

11. 85-percent

85-percent

69Fury - some comments for you.

My guess is that tank is in-process for it's paint work. It has already been body-worked, primed. blocked, sealed, probably gold candy basecoat, probably candy red color, then probably a few coats of intercoat clear. it has been color sanded, probably with 600-1200 grit wet or dry paper, and then the leaf and striping has been applied.

The remaining two steps are to spray final clear coat and then color sand/final buff/polish. This buries the artwork underneath the final clear, which makes it even more awesome.

PS - the series of materials and correspondent thinners/catilysts/additives all have to be compatible - made by the same paint company, and the cure time window has to be highly respected! (clarification - each paint step has to be 100% compatible materials - but i think its OK to use PRIMER BRAND A with PAINT BRAND Z

-90% Jimmy

PS - matte candy is kind of like spinach and chocolate ice cream. or making toothpicks out of telephone poles. There is a whole category of hot rod flats (flatzz?) currently available that are a much better answer to flat paint than you're thinking of.