Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed OD questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57MoreDoor, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Ive recently obtained a Chevy 3speed OD from a buddy. Ive started taking it apart alls good inside, but i was wanting to ask how would i test the solenoid to make sure its working? Also arent those solenoids 6V how would it work with a 12V system?

Aside from testing my main question is how to use the OD. Im going to some how wire it with a relay and switch to eliminate the original governor and kickdown stuff. When i say how to use it i mean, ive heard u push the lever in then flip the solenoid switch (assuming you have the switch & relay setup) let off the gas and it engages...correct? NOW, im confused on when to disengage the OD. Ive heard some guy say when he gets off the freeway, he pops the clutch in, then flips the switch off, then pulls the cable out, then i guess let the clutch out so it goes to 3rd gear direct drive. Then ive heard ppl say not to try and disengage it until you are going under 30mph, or not to even try to disengage until you are COMPLETELY stopped.

Can i get some big help here? Ive tried research and cant find much, so im hoping these questions are detailed enough. I really want to know all this before i screw up my new tranny...which ive heard you CAN do if you dont know what youre doing!

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The lockout cable is just that: it either ENABLES (in) or DISABLES (out) the O.D. It is not used as part of routine operation. With it in, drive the car in normal fashion until you want to select overdrive. If the governor switch was still functional, it would allow the solenoid to shift into O.D at something around 26 m.p.h. when you lifted off the throttle. With the governor switch out of the circuit and manual shifting (energizing the solenoid), you can make it shift any time (and any speed) you wish. Flip the switch and let up on the gas. To down shift, de-energize the solenoid and clutch it. In order for the solenoid to shift in or out, the drive line must be unloaded momentarily. The O.E.M. kickdown switch does this by momentarily killing power to the ignition coil. The lockout cable can be pulled out any time the O.D. is not engaged.

3. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

One note if using a switch to engage. Be sure to take out of overdrive before trying to go into reverse. It will not go if OD engaged unless kill engine. Manual says it can cause damage though. An indicator light is a good idea. I have one and still forget to switch it off after coming into town and stopping at red light. Going to hook mine up automatic someday. Link below to download manual or PM and I can email it.
    Borg Warner OD manual

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Jay71

Jay71

I have the same questions about the o.d. too. Getting ready to put one in my 55. Would like to keep the 3 on the tree and have O.D. too. Thanks for the info.

aussie57wag likes this.

5. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Google search r10 overdrive, lots of good info and wiring diagrams and good luck with yours, I just gave mine away locally

7. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Thanks for the help. I tested the solenoid it is 12V after all and it WORKS. Now i just need to figure out a wire diagram for it.

So when pulling off the freeway off ramp, I just push the clutch in then i can flip the switch to turn the solenoid off??? Because it takes the engine load off the transmission?

8. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Complete wiring diagram in the links I posted.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The solenoid is normally in the off position. When you energize it (supply a voltage), it engages a set of dog teeth which inturn activate the OD planetary gear set. You have to release the load on the transmission in order for the dog teeth to either engage or disengage. Normally, you don't even need the clutch. Just pedal the motor.

The sequence goes like this. Accelerate to your desired cruising speed. Flip OD switch, pedal motor. The OD will now be engaged.
    Turn switch off. Pedal motor again to disengage. You will now be in third and can accelerate (passing gear) or slow down (off ramp, stop sign, etc).

They are good transmissions, you can make it as complex as you like. I just used a simple toggle in my '51 F-1 and controlled the OD manually. My Dad's '49 Packard is completely automatic. It engages at cruising speed when you back off the throttle, disengages automatically upon decelleration or when you mash the throttle to pass some one.
    You can even wire it to operate like a semi-automatic 6 spd if you want.

Here is a wiring diagram of the automatic version.
    [​IMG]

Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. If you know you have a '55 or newer Chevy unit, then you have a 12 volt system. There were 6 volt units made for other cars and they may look like a later model 12 volt one. They should be marked, but you never know.

The control cable keeps you from shifting into reverse when OD is engaged.

11. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Thanks jdj but thats the original wiring im looking to do something manual like frozenmerc said, with a toggle switch and indicator light so i know when its on and dont forget. ;)

Yeah this tranny came out a 62-64 chevy wagon so it 12v. Also i hooked it to a 9v battery and i guess it didnt have enough volts but 12 did it.

12. Andy

Andy

You will need to get in the habit of putting it in reverse when parked. If you just drive up a driveway and leave it in any forward gear, it can roll backwards. Parking brakes are also good to use.

13. pdq67

pdq67

I think that the '49/'50 Packards have something like a B/W T-85 in them that have syncro's on all three gears, and it is also an OD tranny.

I do figure that past probably '55, everything was 12 volt but I may be off here??

I always wanted a B/W T-85 3-speed stick OD because I figure that they are strong enough to handle some big power. I know of one that came stock behind a '64 Ford Galaxie 500 XL(??) 2-dr h/t with a 390 in it back in '64.

In fact I tried to order my '67SS/RS Camaro with one, but was told they were no longer offered, go figure!! Had ta go either the 3-speed stick, the Muncie or a P/G.

pdq67

14. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Use a good quality toggle switch with 2 poles. Put 12 volt to one side. On the other put a wire that goes to the OD solenoid. On the same pole install another wire that goes to indicator light. Ground other side of light. OD solenoid may have 1 wire or 2. If 1 wire it is internally grounded and you are done. If it has 2 then will need to ground second wire. Color code for wires on solenoid will be on stock diagram.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

16. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yeah thanks Mike ive been using that sites procedure to take apart mine. So far so good.

17. I´we got one of these overdrive manual transmission from Lincoln ´49 ,on my 28 roadster.

I would like to know if someone has dissolved this : Car has converted to 12v but solenoid is still 6v , can i use resistor from coil ,or will it burn , i think that when you hit the switch , it draw momentarily 10 amps and keep-on will take about 3amp , or ...?

Is the later 12 volt solenoid from Merc same fysically , so is it interchangeble with Lincoln unit????

Othervise gearbox works very well , i just like to drop cruising rpm´s

AVG

18. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ok question i watched that guys video on how it shifts ect. my question is, is there a way to wire it up without the "governor", "overdrive relay" and "kickdown switch". like, can i just have the lever for on and off. then have some sort of button for when im driving and i can click it and then let off the gas for a second. if so please draw up a diagram!

19. mikebarone

mikebarone

This guy has a complete book available an reproduces many of the parts. He also has some other pretty cool stuff.

I called with questions and have purchased from him. Would do so again.

Fifth Avenue Internet Garage
    http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/

20. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ok so if im understanding this right, the blue on the seliniod is positive, and the blue orange stripe is negative. does that need to be a constant hot to keep the overdrive engaged, or is that a momentary thing?(one click turns it on, the next turns it off)

21. MilesM

MilesM

Constant

22. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

As stated, it's hot the whole time. That's why when you downshift in overdrive you begin coasting (no more compression braking) at around 23 MPH.

However, I would like to know exactly how the circuit inside the solenoid works. The contact in the lower left grounds out the ignition to kick overdrive out through the kickdown switch, but what exactly goes on with the two coils and the remaining contacts?

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The big coil is to throw the solenoid, and the second is to hold it. Inside the housing is a set of contacts that controls this by switching them as the shaft moves in/out.

The reason is because the big coil would draw alot of power and get very hot if it were continually engaged. Once the solenoid throws, there is no need for a strong coil to just hold it.

24. R&C RON

R&C RON

The late model saginaw 3sp overdrive have synchro first gear,witch is a nice touch.I think mine is a 66' or 67.
    ROD&CUSTOM RON

25. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

so what youre saying is, is that i NEED that relay on the coil.... so if i get that(i might have it) can i hook it up to a toggle so i dont use the governor ect? i think i might have the floor button, but im running a spoon pedal.

26. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The kickdown switch can be on the carb or accelerator linkage like Chevrolets and Studebakers, instead of the floor like Fords and Mercurys.

The govenor is basically a switch. When the speed reaches around 26 to 29 mph it opens and energizes the solenoid, through the relay, and when you lift your foot off the gas pedal the load on the driveline releases and the solenoid engages the planetary gears.

Here's how you drive it. It's a blast to run with overdrive and fun to teach your friends to use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  27. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Thanks Mike. I was thinking it might be something like that, but wasn't sure.

28. Just tested the overdrive , i hook it up so that i have a resistor from old coil , and first it was not giving enough voltage to actuate the solenoid ,but when i jump wired the resistor for a second , and make the action with 12 volt , after that the keep up amp is so low that coil resistor works fine , giving 7volts to the solenoid , and i believe it will survive the 12 v pulse without a hickup....

It works like charm , rpm drops nicely when cruising 60 mph :)

So i have flip swich on the sifter and bush button next to it to make a jump wiring momentary to engage the od. After pushing the push button you can drop it off by turning the flip switch to off position.

If you do it like this , make sure that you have a mark light that indikates od on , because if you left the power on to solenoid and resistor , it will heat up the resistor real good , couse the voltage thru resistor is not enough to activate the coil without extra pulse from the jump wiring it with a push button....

Clear enough ? :rolleyes:

29. RHunt

RHunt

i would also like to know if you can run 12v through a 6v relay without burning it up. mine is wired through a resistor right now, and will work very inconsistently, wondering if i can run straight to the solenoid. kinda tough dealing with weird wiring that the previous owner did.

30. Retd1SG

Retd1SG
    from Wisconsin

Man o' man!! This is the info I've been hunting for!!
    I've hauled a '59 vintage T-85 O/D around for years.
    Never knew how to wire it up before.
    Took it out of a '59 Ford Police Interceptor 20+ years ago.
    Now I'm going to overhaul it and the 352 PI and put them in my '50 Fordor.
    Great links, by the way.

aussie57wag likes this.