Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did your first car go????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Nov 18, 2010.

1. I paid $79 for my first car at a impound auction. It was a '70 Gremlin.
    I was 17 then and I used that car for the summer going to my first job, AND to run away in and get married. We left it at our first cabin about 50 miles out of town in 1988 when reverse went out in it.

We took our now grown daughter back up there to show her where she was born ( I delivered her) a couple years ago and the little neighbor kids that use to run all over up there now own the place:eek: and wanted to know if we wanted our "red car back" I said "no thank you" and my wife said "YES"! I knew at that point I was screwd:rolleyes:

SO, my (our) first car is sitting in my carhole with new floors and ford 8"
    Sbc and t350 waiting to be dropped in this summer.

Biggest problem is they used a bulldozer to push the Gremlin about a 1/8th mile through the woods at some point but somehow didnt total it. They had it full of generators and tools and crap.

This project is obviously a labor of love as it is not "worth" fixing up, but how many people can leave their car sittin someware for 23 years and go back and get it?

Sammy

2. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

My first was a 1974 plain jane Nova, w/ 24,000 miles in 1985. I dropped in a v-8, shaved it, dechromed it, and shaved the door handles before painting it Porche Red. (Hey, it was 1988!) Sold it to a buddy and he let it go to pot before another kid bought it and it was gone!
    My second was a 1964 Chevy II, nice spotless car w/ a 327. I sold it for big profit to buy a GPX900 Ninja w/ wheelie bars! I did find it last year. I was at a local cruise and was looking the car over with my dad. I told Pop's that it looked just like my old one and he said it couldn't be. A few minutes later a voice behind said "Reconize anything/" When I turned around it was the kid I sold it too. I guess he trashed it, sold it, car was redone, he grew-up, bought the car back, and then restored it to the way it was the day I sold it to him! He even found a NOS Pioneer cassette player for it! I didn't get to keep my first car, but at lease he did.

3. My first car was a 1964 Chevy Bel Air wagon. I bought it from my Dad for 200 bucks. (I think he actually wanted more money, but I was putting so much into it, he felt sorry for me. )
    I hadn't had it more than a week when I was backing out of my friend's driveway and forgot the back passenger-side door was still open. I caught it on a tree and ripped it right off. By some cosmic stroke of luck, I found a replacement at a junkyard thart was the same color inside and out.
    My friend, "Mouse" and I ended up primering the car with 15 cans of grey primer spray paint and I sold it to a family named Bovis for the exact amount I had purchased it.
    It not only was my first "band wagon", but led me to a life of longroof appreciation.

Attached Files:

4. dmikulec

dmikulec

Mine was a 1963 Plymouth Belvedere longroof (1977 - $75)... last seen resting (rusting) in a creek somewhere in Erie Co, PA :(

Sure do miss her...

5. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Mine was an OT 1972 car. A few years ago I drove past a gas station maybe two miles from where we used to live. Lo and behold, my old car was sitting out back. Still had the same rattle-can gold paintjob from all the dents I repaired. Still had the stick-on letters on the back windshield with my girlfriend's name almost intact. Unbelievable. It still looked almost exactly the same after twenty-plus years.

I had to u-turn and check it out. Car was unlocked so I sat down in the drivers seat where a rush of memories came flooding back, all of them good.

I drove off with a smile on my face that stayed with me for the rest of the day.

dka

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Mine was a 47 Plymouth sedan bought for $125 in Fayetteville NC in 1966. Spent $50 more on brakes, hoses, belt, and I was on the road. Sold the car to a fella in Red Level AL, just down the road from Andalusia AL when I went in the Coast Guard in late 1967. Bought it back from a 10-year old kid in a junkyard near Red Level in 1970. Sold it again to a guy in Mobile AL in 1972 just before I moved to Pasadena TX. Every time I drove through there on the way to visit my folks I'd call him and see if he wanted to sell the car. After 12 years his number was no longer in service so I lost it.

7. I just found out recently, actually.

My HS car was a 74 Stingray. 275 horse 350, 4 speed, 3.73 gears, silver, black guts and t-tops. Tweaked a bit, but it would smack a 5.0 Mustang in the mouth back then. It threw a rod my senior year and it sat for a few years following. When I finally decided to tear into it, I found the rear frame crossmember was badly rotten. It had some other issues as well, so I decided to sell it. I did put a bitchin' stereo in the Camaro I was driving at the time with the cash, though!! Chalk it up to being a dumbass kid.

Anyway, I had sold it to a local Dealer who specialized in muscle cars. He put a new engine in it, put those ugly hood locks in the fenders, and put it on his lot, rotted frame and all. The dealer never changed the title to their name. Something that would become a problem for me years later.

It was bought, but apparently never titled in the new owners name, either. It was then sold again a short time after, and not titled again. It sat in the current owners garage for 10 years. Then, I started getting letters in the mail from the DMV about how the new owner wanted me to do this and that so he could re-title it, which included me PURCHASING a duplicate title, having me and my mom (she co-signed) sign it, then signing the title over to him. Well, I refused to pay my own money when the guy COULD have just done a title search on his own dime. In Maryland, it it comes back not stolen and without a lien, they'll issue a title.

So I got a few of these letters. About a year after I got the first letter, I get a phone call (on my unlisted cell!!) from the current owner. He's huffing and puffing about how he bought this car from such and such who bought it from so and so who got it from me, and how I was the last guy to have it tagged and titled in my name. I say OK pal, bring the title to my place and I'll sign it over to you. So he says he can't do that because he "lost in in a flood" (and where he lives is flood prone, but all I could think of was Terry the Toad from American Graffiti), that's why he needed me to get a duplicate title. I told him flat out I'm not paying to do that and I told him he could have done a title search and saved himself a lot of time and stalking, and me the bother. I'm all for helping out a fellow car guy, but you gotta draw a line somewhere. I said I didn't appreciate him calling my UNLISTED cell (and a call to the DMV saying I didn't appreciate them giving it to him). After my refusal to pay for his title, he got frustrated and I didn't hear anything for a month or so.

Then his wife calls me.

I let her know the situation from my point of view. She was a lot more polite and understanding than her old man, so I told her that despite all the drama, if he paid for the duplicate title, I'd get it signed. So after a couple weeks, an envelope shows up with the duplicate title and a letter instucting me to call him when I sign it and he'd pick it up.

I call him the next day, he picks up the title the following Friday evening and was a HELL of a lot more polite in person after seeing me. He was in his 60's it looked like, and kinda scrawny. I go about 5"10" and 230 pounds, with a fair bit of muscle under the padding. Built like a fireplug my wife says (no, I'm not a hard-ass or anything like that, quite the opposite). So I give him the title, shake his hand, and that's the last I heard about the car.

8. benji2714

benji2714

Mine was a 1966 Pontiac GTO 389 4 speed. Gas crunch in 1970, my father said let's trade it in on something economical. I listened to him and traded it in on a 1970 Buick Skylark. Buick was 2900.00 new. they gave me 750.00 for my GTO. The Buick lasted 8 months. Sold it, bought another 66 GTO. 400.00 tri power 4 speed. 8 months later I got drafted. My Father sold it to some guy for 950.00 while I was gone. Never saw neither of them again. I will have another one some day. It will cost more than 950.00 I'll bet.......

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

It was a 55 studebaker so its probably sitting in someones collection now and worth about a gazillion times what I sold it for.

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My '69 LTD was totaled by a drunk driver so it went to the boneyard after giving up it's 390, C6 and 9" rear...

11. My first car was a white 1957 Belair conv. I sold it locally to buy a new 1967 Buick GS400. Now a days when I see a 57 at a show I could kick myself. Would-ve, should-ve, could-ve.

12. Patina30A

Patina30A

Took it over from Pops at age 16 and still have it some 39 years later... Guess I should get it street worthy again.

[​IMG]

13. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

In the spring of 1965, a neighbor couple (Todd and Presley Thompson, God bless 'em), who knew how much I was into cars, gave me their '54 Dodge Coronet 4 door with a 241 Hemi and Powerfite 2 speed auto. On September 26, 1966, the night before I left to be inducted, I gave it a friend who ran a radiator shop, and had helped me with my hot rod AH Sprite. It ended up in a figure-8 race at Glen Este Speedway. I saw it again in a junk yard on Deerfield Rd. in the mid '70's while hunting 1950 Plymouth parts. It and the yard are long gone now.

14. WHARTON

WHARTON

[​IMG]
    Ouch really miss that bug!!

15. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

still got mine after a month of owning it (im 16 )not realley hamb friendley but its close. it is the oldest at my high school witch is kinda cool it a 66 plymouth valiant

Attached Files:

16. phukinartie

phukinartie

My first car was a 1968 Olds Cutlass supreme. On my 17 th b-day someone in a 67 Tempest backed out in front of me,bounced off that and a 72 Dodge Polara it was done
    The insurance found me partly at fault.(how I still wonder) and I could not pay to get it fixed and ended getting a old p/u truck.Fast forward to 4 years ago ,I was looking for a 68 once again I looked all over,even 2 states away.Then I found a KILLER 68 442 20 miles from home and brought it home exactly 25 years later to the day I lost my first car...I was so nervous I trailered it home and did not drive it till the next day

Attached Files:

17. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Same boat here...55 chevy 210 2dr sedan after 40 years and it's sitting in the garage. The 327 back then has long been replaced with a 377 but still has the 4 speed.

18. 55chevy

55chevy

No duh, ya think? What else would be more important to work on? A Jeep? Ahaa, just cutting you some crap, but think about it.

My first car? 62 Impala 2 dr ht, 6 cyl 3 on tree, spun the tires one day around a corner cruising the strip in Kendallville, IN. Cop pulled me over, I said my foot was wet and slipped off the clutch, plus I had just bought the car. He gave me a warning and said if I can't drive a stick park it. Sold it to a guy I knew for $75 because I bought a 69 Super Bee for $500, which I totalled as predicted by my bro in law, oh to be 16 again.

19. Johnny Guns

Johnny Guns
    from Michigan

Impounded then sold at a police auction... Don't know now?

20. 1963 Oldsmobile 98 4 door hardtop. Still in the grove on the farm where I grew up. Drove it about 200 miles before a rod bearing spun. It already had 136,000 miles on it when I got it.

21. erlomd

erlomd

Just sold it...an 89 camaro rs with no engine for 1500.....sucker!
    Well, in all honesty it did have a bunch of cool parts but the guy never haggled the price and fell in love so the he'll with it. I still kinda miss it.