Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

wow that car is a beast ..

2. Rich1028

Rich1028

great video!!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That car is a beast! Looking forward to the video of a full pass.

4. I can smell the Cam 2 and rubber from here!!:)

[​IMG]

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

No Cam 2.... Pure methanol ;)

Yep... Me 2! :D

I mailed him a picture of the burnout. He called me the minute he got the mail. He didn't know that pic was coming. He said it brings back a lot of memories. Yes.. He told me he is so glad I decided to do this. :)

Thanks to my wife. Austin took the still. You can hear him in the video. He was very happy with that picture. He has shown everyone at school I think... LOL

It feels really strong. That was still very lean in that video and that wasn't much throttle... :eek:

It is hard to sleep, work, do much of anything right now... LOL

Abso-freakin-lutely!!

My knuckles are still scabbed over and I can't take my credit card out of my wallet without oven mitts.. :eek:

I hope it measures up to the hype..;)

Not going to make it out this weekend for several reasons. Weather is the main one. We have had so much rain here, my pond out back is higher than I have ever seen it since I have lived here. My trailer sank into the ground because of all the rain and I can't get it out. I spent about 3 hours the other night trying to free it but it got dark then rained some more so I need to wait for another window hopefully next week. :mad:

Might be a blessing in disguise because I still have some finish work on the car to wrap up and this way it won't be rushed. I can be better prepared when we take it out for the first time. However, I only really have about 3 weekends left to get it dialed in before headed to PA to let the boss look it over. I will be fine if no major issues but I am screwed if there is something seriously flawed in the whole project. :eek:

We pulled out the front end this week and put it on. Does it look like the car in my avatar? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Wow Great Job!

7. "Bad Banana" is looking like one bad banana....well done brother.

8. novabbc

novabbc

Great job. Hope to see you @ Beaver Springs.

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

ZOOOOWIE!!!! Loving this thread!!!

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Embedded your video for you. Sounds awesome! Great work.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  11. Wow!!!! Great video. Great story and nice job. I like it and it sounds Great.

12. pregrid

pregrid

13. cooljunk

cooljunk

Great job Rusty. The Falcon should be ready by next weekend (waiting on drive shaft) maybe we can match race. My HP won't match yours tho.

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Wicked machine...

15. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

@ pregrid - That's got to be the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen!

16. mt94ss

mt94ss

Congrats! Sound like it's going to be faster than you thought...

17. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

mmmmm, that injected smallblock pops and made me smile from ear to ear. Thanks for sharing.

18. igby

igby

what size cam u have in the small block? sounds great

19. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Honestly, I don't know. The engine is a loaner and I ddn't get a cam card with it. Guy who owns it claims it should be 600-650 hp. We will get a better idea what it really has HP-wise once we get it on the clock. I need to weigh the car at some point as well and I can figure out what exactly it has for HP. ;)

20. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

great story-- great car ---cant wait for more:)

21. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Looks like we'll be ready this weekend but the weather may not be.:mad: I was going to go north to Ubly but they are having a 2 day race and not much testing time. With the weather questionable, I will likely try to go to the local track here in town and just try to see how it feels and handles if we get enought of a dry window. They run both Saturday and Sunday so hopefully we can get to try it out. Not sure if we will get pics and video and there might not be much to see depending on how it goes. If it works good and no major issues, we'll probably try to go to Milan next Saturday.

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

hope things work out for ya:)

23. Rich1028

Rich1028

hope it all goes good for you.
    I might be at milan next week to watch you guys.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Couldn't be any cooler! Looks exactly like it must have when your dad drove it, and it sounds wicked!

25. pregrid

pregrid

I get that a lot!:D

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Funny enough it reminds me of a guy I used to work with :eek:

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Looks like a wash out for the weekend :mad:. We finished the last of the details today and I am calling the car DONE!. At least until we run it and see what happens. It is as ready as we can make it. We spent the day cleaning and organizing the shop and getting a pile of stuff that we need to take along to the track. Got done and decided to take some more pictures.

[​IMG]

Here they are starting with the finished car and whole build crew... :D

[​IMG]

Wife likes this one better.

[​IMG]

The office.. Original Sun Super Tach. Unbelievable that it works fine with the MSD box. That tach was made probably 30 years before that ignition box. :eek:

[​IMG]

I mounted in a borrowed EGT gauge (mounted to the dash bar) to watch the exhaust temp to keep from melting pistons. Once we make sure it is dialed in, I'll pull the gauge and weld the hole shut in the header tube.

[​IMG]

Added turn outs to the headers. When we ran it on the road it was blowing dust and debris up into the engine and filling the car with alky fumes. I have to take care of this engine and I ain't staging the car with my eyes watering..LOL. Much better now. Don't notice the alky fumes in the car hardly at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

271 days from start to finish. I would have never believed we could have done that when we started. This thing went together very well and I am pretty happy with just about all of it. We spent virtually no time on "prettying" things up. It is pure function. Scratches, dents, missing trim is just the way it is. Meaningless for it's intended purpose.

Now it is just beating the weather and getting this thing down a track somewhere as soon as possible. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  28. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

very cool---glad you fixed her up

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good on you,job well done ,can't wait to see the results

30. buds56

buds56

All that work in that short of time, All I can say is