Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvair truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bart78, May 11, 2011.

1. Bart78

Bart78

My dad and I just baught a feild full of old cars and trucks. There are two corvair trucks on the place. Does anyone know if they would be good projects and easy to sale when done?

2. HELL YES! They're pretty cool. Love the side ramps...

3. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Where are they?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One of the local old car guys in Houston drove one of those for years. He liked the convenience of the side drop gate.

5. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

What else is out there??? Ill help clean up the land for you!

6. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Not worth crap, and very hard to sell.

As I have learned Corvairs are almost worthless. Unless they are super nice running/driving (cars, or trucks) stay away from them. Even then they don't bring much cash compared to other stuff.

Last car I had was a 2 door all there, not running w/a title. I was jumping up and down someone gave me $300 for it. Took 2 years to sell it then.

Now that guy wants to sell it.....

Everyone thinks the rampside are funky cool, but you'll have to give away a project. Took almost 2 years to get rid of the ones I had.

Sold 2 rampsides, 1 was pretty rusted in spots but all there except not running. Traded a $250.00 gas pump and like $300 or $400 for it.

Other rampside I had was complete, would run and a good builder w/title. After trying to sell it for $500 for almost a year I wound up trading it for a junky ranger x-cab.

I got lucky on both trucks......

7. if i remember the rampside pickups like to split right between the cab and front of ramp when they get rusty....

8. last rampside i remember was in 1969 it was wrecked and provided endless hours of fun being used as a bike jump ramp.

9. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

They're coooool (I have one) but they won't bring you any money. For some reason, Corvairs just don't sell.

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

There are a lot of unique parts on the trucks, so you will easily be able to part them out (or sell them outright) if you tap into the Corvair community. If you give me the details, I can forward the info.

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

12. Bart78

Bart78

My dad told me he likes them but he wont do anything with them. He has some neet cars that are just sitting there. We are in stephenville tx. There is all kinds of stuff. The good ones are a 55 second series 3600, 56 chevy 210 4 door wagon, 57 buick 2 door one of my soon to be projects if I ever get done with my others. A 65 elcamino, 3 65 c-10 shortbed stepsides, 55 plymouth belvader, corvair trucks, 2 72 javalins, 49 ford 2 door, a real nice 64 f100 shortbed and 2 66 broncos that I have traded for a 65 mustang fastback. And a crap load of dautson 240z that will be going to the scrap yard.

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

I bet there is a market for those 240z cars, especially with the drifter crowd. They'll go for more than scrap

14. Bart78

Bart78

I know but finding room for the cars is getting hard we have so many

15. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

Looking to get rid of any beside the ricers?

16. Bart78

Bart78

Some i get rid of we fix up a bunch of them and use most for parts for others. We are going to look at another place this weekend. A friend of mine found it and the old lady says evry car is 500 dollars each. I dont know what all there is.

17. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

rampsides are worth the most in terms of us corvair nuts! a rusty one will push $1,000
    while like you being from texas they will go for $1,500-$2,000 pending condition
    a really nice one will fetch about 10-15 grand in the corvair community

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Cool as all get out.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      532.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Bart78

Bart78

They are in prety good shape thae have been sitting but they are all there ans solid projects. I will probably sale them when I get them moved. we got 52 cars and trucks in all. The old mans wife wanted every thing gone she was tired of seeing them.

20. If you ever intend to move jukeboxes, gas pumps, freezers, etc... My buddies rampside was a godsend...

I can't think of a better shop truck... I'd buy and restore one if I could afford it... you rarely use the back part anyway, so why not a plexi engine cover...

Attached Files:

21. Bart78

Bart78

I dont plan on doing anything with them. Mt dad says he likes them, but I want to sale them. I am kicking around the idea of a model a roadster project.

22. Just as an example, a local yard here bought two late Corvair 2-doors, one ran, one didn't, both really solid cars, which can be hard to find in New York. Tried to sell them whole for a long time. They ended up out in the yard to be picked from. So I got online and asked some Corvair guys what I should pick off them. They basically said nothing, they couldn't give a crap that these were going to the crusher. I did sell a steering box and column out of one of them, meant to go back and get the other one, never did. Was a set of Dan Gurney mags on the one I should have nabbed, too. But after hearing from these Corvair guys that they didn't care if Corvairs got scrapped I kind of lost interest in doing anything that would help them.

You can poke around and see if any have sold like on eBay or watch Craigslist, but odds are they'll bring more over the scales loaded with crap than they'll bring from a "corvair enthusiast" ...

23. Bart78

Bart78

For what I gave for them it would not take much to get my money back. I need to get rid of some cars anyway. looking at getting rid of around seven cars that I just picked up a few weeks ago.

24. Gabrielli

Gabrielli

Interested in some Rampside parts. Please call me direct or email please.
    210.861.0930, or leave your number and I will call. Email: [email protected]
    Thanks, Gabrielli

25. And then you have the vultures.

26. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Back when I was a kid worked for Wolverine gear I'm sure some of you remember Wolverine cams. We had one of those used mostly to transport pushrods from our assembly plant across railroad tracks to warehouse area. I also used it to go to dump on edge of town. It was a pretty cool thing couldn't haul much but the ramp made it easy to load. The thing I remember most though was how when you pushed it hard the rear end would lift up and get very very squirrely because camber went all funny!

27. Bart78

Bart78

Once I get all of them moved I will probably take pics of what i want to get rid of. Found a real cool old international truck the otherday. It was parked by a fence next to a place I hunt. Someone had made a deer stand in the bed. Looks in prety good shape the place has new owners and they are cleaning the place up have never seen it before.

28. kidcorvair

kidcorvair

There are people out there who really enjoy Corvairs. The pickups are very rare and getting sorta hard to find in decent shape. The thing you have to look for with the FC's are inside the door fender-well, floors, rockers, and the cross pieces under the bed area. If those things are gone, the body would probably not be worth restoring. But, the main body panels that usually got hit can be worth something. The FC engine blocks are different than the cars also. So to someone that needed one, they could be worth something.
    If you were to post them on Corvaircenter, I bet you could part them out.
    Cass

29. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Don't just scrap the 240Z's - there's some big collector groups out their fr them!

30. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Corvairs are simple, easy to work on, durable and fun. There is a surprisingly robust aftermarket for them as well. They might not bring as much money when done as a 57' Belair, but they are less expensive to restore. There IS a market for them, if you're willing to invest a modest amount of time.

As times get tougher and gas goes higher, they are gaining in popularity as a reasonable alternative to big engined, heavy, expensive cars from years past.

Don't discount them as worhtless.