Register now to get rid of these ads!

New kid from Kansas.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Strangers29, May 12, 2011.

1. I've been trolling around the hamb since ~2006. Finally decided to start contributing to the site. I grew up around hot rods and muscle cars. My ole man got me hooked at a young age.

We'd started building him a 1931 Tudor sedan chopped 6in and channeled 4in. Then I got a full time job and moved out, and his project went to the back burner. He suffered a couple real bad heart attacks back 3 years ago, and hasnt been able to do much work on his car.

A couple weeks ago I snagged up a trailor full of parts (including a body and chassis) for a 1929 coupe. The body was pretty clean, but the old farmer that had it before me and welded galv sheeting AROUND the roof and had butchered the car up pretty bad.

I decided rather then trying to save the 5w, that i'd build a sport coupe/coupester. I've got the original frame for the car but its been welded pretty shitty, so im using it for my measurements and im building a frame out of 2"x3"x3/16" steel tubing. I've got the rear "z"ed 12" and the front end "z"ed 4".

My plans are to run a coil over type rear suspension using a ford 8.8" 31 spline with 3.73 gears. Going to the front, im using a stock i-beam axle, with 39-40 hub/spindle. im going to mount it in what i've heard called "bulldog" style or suicide style front end. the spring will still be located on top of the i beam but it will be in front of the radiator.

Plans for the motor are to go with something along the lines of a 347 sbf going threw a t-5 trans. I'll be running it open hood/open fender. nice and low, still trying to figure out what rim/tire combo im going to go with. i'd like to go with a 26" tall tire in the rear so that it follows the body lines right.

Im going to paint it Blitz black (John Deere paint...cheap). It will look kind of hot-rodded out on the out side (not at all a r@t R@d). but then on the inside i'd like to go with white leather int with a nice cherry hardwood dash and accents. I know alot of you guys use dashes out of the 40's+ vehicles but i want to go something a little different.

Im going to mount a ~22 gal fuel cell in between the seat and the rear Z. then im going to customize the original fuel cell to conceal all of my electrical parts (battery, wiring harness, coil, all that kinda stuff).

My wife and I have an 18 month old son and then we've got another little boy on the way in october. I had built a non hamb friendly 2001 mustang gt with a fully built stroker motor and all the good stuff. Hard times fell on us and i sold it off. Had to come up with a new project, so i got this coupe for little of nothing (literally almost nothing).

Im going to build the car and kind of contribute it to my grand father (who i passed away before i was born) he flew in the 484th bomb group as a 2LT and later on as a 1st LT in a B24 bomber known as "Fuel-Cell Fanny". My intentions are to surprise my dad with it since he hasnt been able to finish his hot rod.

Im going to have Grand pa's pin up girl from the nose art of his b24 air brushed on the back deck lid (i know alot of you guys prolly dont have airbrushed stuff on your hot rods, but this is kinda personal).

Sorry for the book i've wrote you guys, i'll leave ya'll with some pics now... feel free to tell me how stupid this build is, or how great it is. i'll take positive or negative comments. Any helpful tips are great as well!

O. and just so you know, incase this ever comes up, yes...im only 20.

Also, im currently looking for a diverside door from a 28-29 coupe and the rear deck lid. I've got my eyes on a complete parts car in wichita but not sure if the deal will go threw. I've got an entire garage full of parts if anyone is looking for some original A parts now as well.

ONTO THE PICS!!

Heres how it looked when i got it...
    [​IMG]

Here i've got it onto a wooden dolly just to move it around for the time being.

[​IMG]

Heres my lovely wife standing by it to kind of establish the ride height
    [​IMG]

and here it is with a 26.5" tall tire just for reference (spare tire for the wives 2007 ford edge)
    [​IMG]

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard form down here....Kool project.

3. yblock292

yblock292

welcome from derby area, don't pay attention to them okies!

4. Thanks fella's. i noticed there are ALOT of kansas people on here. Thats always good to see!

5. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

Welcome from Salina...Kool project ya got there

6. Thank you sir!

Just got a load of sheet metal in today so i can start fabing up all the patch panels.

Hopefully by early next week i'll have all the tubing in so i can start cutting it up for the frame.

Im going to use a 60* step up in the front and rear. (cut a 30 degree angle on both pieces of pipe to equal the 60).

7. sodas38

sodas38

Welcome from Maize! There are a ton of us in Kansas here.

8. triumphtony

triumphtony

Welcome from Mcpherson. That is a cool project you got.

9. Welcome from Iowa! Doesn't look like to bad of a start at all!

10. Looks like an ALIAS to me !!! Stop by for a visit STRANGER !!! >>>>.

11. I've gotta go choke down some food at the in-laws tonight, but i'll stop by some time and see what you've got in the makings. Wont be too long before im gonna be in need of a pretty little motor to set in place on this thing.

12. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Welcome from Omaha, Nebraska. Keep us updated on your 29!!!

13. DozerMek

DozerMek
    from Chapman,KS

Welcome from Chapman.

14. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Welcome from Gypsum, I was just noticing how many KS folk are on here myself.

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Welcome from the West Coast of Florida.

Cool project and the pictures are great.

Good luck and keep posting pictures as the project continues along.

16. Howdy doo from a transplanted Kansan livin' in the arctic tundra. Love your project. I'm thinking about the wooden mock up frame idea too. Looks great.
    Yes, there are a LOT of Jayhawkers on here. Some of my best friends.

17. mrenfro

mrenfro
    from Kansas

welcome fellow Kansan. the more the merrier.

18. Hey now Seesko, no one said anything about any jayhawkers here! haha jp.

Sounds like i should have a small load of parts showing up this weekend so that i can attempt to make a rolling chassis.

Except the more i work on the body of this car the more im wanting a 30-31 chopped and channeled coupe.

I've got another coupester showing up this weekend that i bought for some parts. I've also got a bunch of people coming down to hopefully sell some crap off. I've gotta guy interested in buying my 39 ford p/u so thats exciting. maybe i'll have a little more project funds!