Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Ins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, May 11, 2011.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

Well its that time to get some insurance on the Model A I am building. My agent said as long as it was not up on tires my homeowners would cover it but now it has the wheels and tires mounted and in the process of wiring it. So looking for some suggestions as to what everyone is using when your project is in process but not yet road worthy?
    Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Swifster

Swifster

Hagerty, Grundy, Infinity...

By the way, if I were you, I'd look for another agent. You car was covered for nothing under your homeowners insurance. HOMEOWNERS DOES NOT COVER CARS, EVEN DISASSEMBLED ONES!!!

Now, do you have a visible serial number for the vehicle? Does it match your paperwork (title)? This can be a problem if the vehicle is totaled for what ever reason (insurance appraisers/adjusters are people too). Was the serial number documented on the vehicle if using the original frame? If not using the original frame or engine, do you have a state issued VIN on the vehicle?

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use JC TAYLOR Antique auto ins. since 1968---No problems yet!!

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

X2 just insured my ranchero with them

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grundy works for me, price & service.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get a quote from Grundy before you commit. They were much cheaper than the collector ins co that I was using. I've never had a claim from any of them but from what I've read here their service is very good. In the mean time I'd have that puppy up on jack stands.:D

7. The main thing is "COLLECTOR car insurance" which means you CAN'T drive it as a daily. there has been many posts about insurance on here, you can use the search function. My advice is to first think about what your going to use the car for daily or show/pleasure, then call around to collector car insurance places and regular insurance places and ask LOTS of questions (garaged or not, driving it to the store, agree value or stated value).

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Grundy hands down
    and Swifster is right, the only type of "vehicle" that is insured under your homeowners policy is one that is used to maintain your property such as a tractor or riding lawnmower.

9. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

I guess it depends on what you claim. My truck was broken into and everything that was stolen was covered under my home owners policy. I use State Farm Ins for '51.

10. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Very good Denise I made my living as an insurance agent. I am always amazed when people think something that is motorized but not essential to the upkeep of their homes is covered. It is not not boats not cars not motorcycles!

11. Swifster

Swifster

If they stole your sunglasses, they are covered. If they stole a tool box from the bed of your truck, it's covered. If they stole any other PERSONAL item, they are covered. If they busted the door glass and stole the stereo out of your dash, it's not covered under homeowners.

If you have an agent that's had your policy for 25 years, and the claim was minor, your agent may have paid for the claim out of pocket vs turning it in to the claims department as a good will gesture. It doesn't mean it's covered under the policy.

12. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

I have had them all I am using this company now they gave me a great qoute plus allow you to drive your car up to 5000 miles a year . Dont let the other companys snow you.

http://www.americancollectors.com/

13. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I just changed my insurance company after a huge rate increase, just because of a speeding ticket....I got quotes from everyone, and believe it or not the best quote by far was from AAA

14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I just changed to Hagerty yesterday. Had State Farm for 41 years but they wouldn`t insure the fenderless Model A I just finished because it was a "hot rod". Had trouble with them on my coupe also due to being called "incomplete" because it was fenderless.
    So Hagerty gave me a very good price. They insure anything except nitrous or alcohol equipped cars. We have several cars and they gave us a very good rate for the entire collection.
    State Farm had already forced me to take the nitrous system off one of the Camaros two years ago. It was deemed an accelerant in case of fire. I guess they were ok with the fuel cell full of racing gas right beside the bottle...
    I still kept my daily drivers with State Farm because they are the best insurance company to deal with in a normal loss but just not free thinking enough and not aware of current trends to work with collector cars.

Another thing that made the difference was that I had a local agent that I could call and talk to, not some 1-800 number. That`s a big selling point to me.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Seriously, if you have a daily driver please do yourself a favor and check out Grundy and Hagerty's pricing and coverage for your '51 when you get a chance.

So very true.

While Hagerty is an excellent company I was just curious on why you choose them over Grundy??

16. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Last line of my post... A local guy is the rep and he is an avid car guy.

Besides, that Grundy guy looks scary.LOL

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I had Hagerty and switched to another company, don't remember the name off hand.

I have had the insurance with Hagerty for several years and never looked over the coverage much because I had an umbrella from another company bumping up the liability. I switched the company that the umbrella was with so looked at the coverage by Hagerty closer. The policy was written with $100,000 per person bodily injury and $25,000 property damage. I question the odds of when I cause an accident and the damages to others will be under $25,000. To me that is way under insured. I called Hagerty and posed that question to their representative. She said that the coverage that I had was customary and I should not be concerned since the cars are not driven that much. I don't beleive that the legal system will give me a break since the car that I drive doesn't get driven that much. :rolleyes:

Hagerty would let me buy up the insurance but made me feel like I was the odd ball of the group. The max they would go was $250,000 on personal injury.

I just switched and don't have the policy from the new company yet but I have $500,000 on bodily injury and $250,000 on property.

My advice to others, look at your policy; what is your liability coverage? Hagerty, and others I am sure, tell you the importance of their comp and collision but leave you naked on liability. Liability is where you can loose everything you got.

Neal

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still no solutions from Hagerty or Grundy for me, or clear answers, for that matter.

Read your policy carefully.

I keep my rod at my hot rod shop, so driving it, anytime, involves returning it to the place I work, breaching the letter of the policy contract.

I rent a home. Garages here are as rare as hen's teeth, expensive, and nowhere near as secure as my concrete walled, alarmed, 16-recording-camera, concertina-wired, two-pitbull shop.

I get crappy coverage on my OT/DD policy, or collector car insurance, which would require renting another $2400/yr. garage, un-alarmed, un-supervised, and far from my home or shop.

19. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Funny you should bring up liability limits. My Hagerty guy said I was below what he recommended on my daily drivers which are State Farm. I do have an umbrella policy of $500,000 but Hagerty will not insure for more than what you carry on your dd cars.

This is just my opinion but in todays litigeous society,$100,000 is probably not enough. But if someone sues you it won`t be for small change. Most suits are $500,000 and up if bodily harm is a factor. The lawyers also research as to what your insurance has to offer and goes for all of it. I have personal knowledge of a big insurance company paying out $3000 automatically for a neck injury claim to get a signoff from the victim.

I run a collision shop and have experienced what limited liabilty insurance is capable of. $7500 minimum coverage will barely repair a moderate frontal hit/airbag deployment on a newer car and when the money runs out the carrier says tough,get it from your insurance company. Doesn`t seem fair.

20. Swifster

Swifster

You are wrong. Both have numerous customers who have the vehicles stored at a place of business. I had one who had 8 cars at their office. The main concern is a locked and secure storage facility. You still are not driving the car back and forth to work because you have no storage at your residence.

There is also no clause in either company's policy that the car can't be driven to work. They do not want the car used as a daily driver. Many companies have employee car shows. Take the car!!!

21. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I use JC Taylor insurance on a few of my old cars. No complaints. Rates and coverage are good. Friendly staff to deal with as well. Id recommend them to anyone: http://www.jctaylor.com/

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am just going on what I was told on the phone. I am perfectly happy to be wrong, so long as I can get coverage.

23. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Progressive antique insurance for a stated full coverage value, and I can drive to just about any town and see a office .