Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dirtbag 51 Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyEd, Mar 8, 2011.

1. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

My dream ride has finally came to me!I have seen this car for months and always liked it.For years I have had all kinds of hotrods,but never the one that I had dreamed of.While at Moores Hotrods one day Tommy mentioned getting rid of this car and the smoke started boiling out of my head trying to figure out how to get it.After a short while a trade deal was struck and the Dirtbag is now in my garage.The name Dirtbag came from my 4 year old and stuck quick.I have got a Mustang II on the way to get it down about a foot in the front.I am looking for an open rearend to mount on a set of 65 truck arms.My younger brother is in the process of 4 linking his truck so I grabbed all of his rear setup.I intend to stay with a 6 cyl.The babbit motor runs fine,just want a more highway worthy full pressure motor.I will be putting an S10 5 speed in it also.The chop was done by Tommy Moore and looks perfect.I still have to do the inside mouldings,but that is about it.I am thinking about slamming it,putting front and back windows in it and driving it this summer.The primer and natural patina lokks pretty good.An old hotrodder once said "I keep building cars because when I drive them I look through the chopped windshield with 17 year old eyes".Now I fully understand that feeling.I have to give a HUGE thanks to my brother and Tommy Moore for helping make this happen.If not for them I would not have my dream ride.

Attached Files:

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! Chop is mighty fine. Digging the red, white, & blue primer/patina thing . . . but I hope your dream car vision does include paint! Suede, flat, shiny, whatever. How are you going to get that photoshop slammed look? Bags? Subscribed.

3. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Yep Im thinking a medium green suede,Wide whites on chromies.It will be bagged all around too.I need to get your buddy Terds old 6 for this car.Maybe we can work something out.

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Ed, I sent you a PM. The chop looks fantastic. Congratulations on getting your dream car!!! Can't wait to see what you do!

5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

That is a nice one. Glad you got your dream car. Keep us updated on your progress.

6. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Thanks guys.I got the confirmation on the mustang II cross member today and found a rack in the local clist for a hunert.The parts are coming together.I have both my off topic projects up forsale(74 courier and 65 mustang) to help fund this one.I also lifted some pics from Tommys album of it before and during the chop.I have to give credit where it is due.

Attached Files:

7. gsport

gsport

nice start.... will be watching this thread

8. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Looking good Ed! Glad you posted your build man! I'll be watching this one too

9. Dave K

Dave K

Killer chop. That is my dream car to. Some day....

10. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Your someday will come.I never thought mine would.Guess I can quit playing the lottery now.

11. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

got the rack home.I also started thinking about a shifter.I have an S10 5 speed that I plan on using behind the stock motor.I cant just have that black stockersitting in there so I made one.It will be painted for now and maybe a little chromage later.

Attached Files:

12. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looks like your off to a great start

13. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Got the shifter made and ready for paint.It will be chromed down the road when I get the one piece bumpers made and ready for chrome.Just kinda plugging along.We have made an offer on a house that has a shop.I am hoping they accept and then I will have a place to really work instead of our cramped basement.

Attached Files:

14. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Anyone know which disk brake kit I need for my mustang II frontend that will allow me to run my stock 15" wheels?

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Got some more parts in.The a arms and bags.This build might be slowed a little however.We as a family are going old school.We have made an offer on a house that was built in 1932.The house has a great feel to it.Like all old houses it needs some work,but I think we can do it.I had it inspected and was surprised by how good he said it was.I have been very fortunate to have a good job for many years.This is something my wife and I dreamed of doing when we were much younger.Anyway Im gonna keep plugging along on the dirtbag and hopefully I can squeeze a new shop(much bigger than our current basement) into the new build.

Attached Files:

16. Jroc0801

Jroc0801
    from Katy Tx

Badass ride looks a little similar to mine twins separated a birth haha

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Congrats bro...your going to be happy with the way it goes with the tailing arms and MII setup...Im running the same and it goes great! Keep at it and post pics for us all.

18. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Congrats bro...your going to be happy with the way it goes with the tailing arms and MII setup...Im running the same and it goes great! Keep at it and post pics for us all.

Your car and one other I saw was what made the decision for me.I have two kids and the back seat is a must.On the plus side my little brother is 4 linking his 66 chevy truck.Free parts are alaways good.

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx man, Im anxious to see how that set up fits and comes all together as I have been telling some guys to go this route instead of building it all from scratch. Try to post as many build pics as u can! Ill b watchin!

20. sgnova72

sgnova72

Looking good, i am going to be watching this one.

21. looking good man. I like the shifter. ...lots of time in that. nice work

22. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hay Terd, What does IT TAKE to bee Associated w/ Iron Lords........?
    I've axe this querstionj Beefour, an GOTNO ANWSER???
    Reply.

A . S. A. P.
    "always Say A Prayer

Tenn. Smoke''

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  23. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Just be sure to request Chevy lug pattern if you want to run your stock Chevy wheels and no rotors over 11" will work due to limited back spacing on the wheels. I dig the shifter. Looks like you could take it off and beat the crap out of somebody with that thing.:D

24. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I had not thought of that.Maybe I should fab up some kind of quick release for it.

25. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

It has been a slow go for a while.I finally got some time to work on it monday and tuesday.I got the stock motor to fire and will have it on the road in a couple of weeks.I still need the spindles,rotors and brakes for the front and an open drive rearend.I think I am going to step the stock a arms,cut the coils,add blocks and slip out a couple leafs in the rear and drive it for the summer.I am hoping to be done with the house soon and get back on the car every off day.

26. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

Looking good man. Keep the pictures coming

27. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Got me a set of wheels for my car.Little brother left them layin around the shop to long!

Attached Files:

28. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

How bout a photo slam of the Dirtbag?My buddy Shannon did it for me.Makes me want to get to work on it more.I did get it running on its own.I have the starter worked out and now can crank it with out a screwdriver.I just keep chippin away.

Attached Files:

29. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

All right a little more progress on the car.The house took a little more time and alot more cash than I wanted so the car has suffered.I have rebuilt the front and rear brakes.It runs and now stops really good.I have bought me an extra windsheild and am going to try HOTDAMNs cutting method.If it works as good for me then Im going to stick the glass in it,slam it and drive it until I get the rest of the parts together.I have a set of extra A frames that I am going to step for the front and try to find some 53-54 spindles.I also have an air over leaf set up from my falcon that I will stick in the back...for now.In redoing the brakes I found what looks to be the original drum retainer clips on the rear.I was told that it was original low miles on the car.Maybe it was.

Attached Files:

30. Dave K

Dave K

That chop is tits!!!