Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Reno Rockabilly Riot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 21tat

21tat

Sounds like fun! Can't make it this year. Will be watching for pics.

2. squirt

squirt
    from Sparks,NV

It is NEVER to late!! Give us a call @775-291-5008 Paul Sampson Promotor

3. welll.....i might have to be spectating....my 53's fuel pump went out, going to try to get one today or tomorrow and get it put in but its not looking too good

4. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Hope to see you there,
    Any pictures of the cars yer' crews bringing?,... so I know who/what to look for?

5. MP4/8

MP4/8

I was at the GSR this morning for breakfast. And since I was there I looked around for any signs of the show. And from what I saw, I believe that map is wrong. I am pretty sure that map shows the south west corner, where they always have car and rv sales events. What I saw was that the area to the east of it, by the pool and water golf area, was fenced off and the set up of awnings and trailers were beginning. I am sure it was the right area as Ricky Ruiz's Rattler hauler was there. I copied the map below off google earth. The area I outlined in yellow it where the map Rocky showed is (and its the map of their website), but the area in pink is where the show is. So entering off mill street, you would make a right onto the ring road, instead of a left.

[​IMG]

To compare the two maps, look at the S shaped grass tree area at the top of the first map. Then see it in the middle on the map I posted. mines turned 90 degrees from the other. And I purposely made it large enough to show mill street and hwy 395.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

There was a change of management at the Grand Sierra recently, and they changed
    many of the things that had been planned for this event. So I am hoping that the attendees understand that much of the planning by the promoters, was not able to be realized, through no fault of theirs.

7. Rockabilly Riot. I won't make it. Going to the Summit Show on Friday & the Atlantis show on Saturday.
    Not into paying $10 to be a spectator. I can see the same shit at A&W.

8. hahaha....I like where you are going with this...Cheers!

9. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

hahaha....have you seen my car?...hahaha.... ya' don't take me seriously!
    that's what it was already painted when I got,...but, seriously if hadn't been for the economy takin' a dump, it would have already been painted some other color!...:D

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Enjoy and have a good time, yeah, the free stuff is usually where I'm at.

11. Not just about the free stuff.
    Really not into Rat Rods, Bombs.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

That's cool. I prefer finished cars myself, but I do like em' all. With this show it's as much about the music, and contests as it is about the cars.

13. MadeInThe70s

MadeInThe70s
    from Reno, NV

Well it was different that's for sure. One thing I would strongly recommend for future events is a parking lot attendant. Somebody to direct the flow of traffic and get the parked cars lined up better.

And no club preferred parking, make it first come, first park like they do at the Bonanza.

Had some cool vendors. Lots of friendly people, a few primadonnas among the tattoo artists. Otherwise not a bad way to spend a few hours for your average joe.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Honestly,what was your call on this show?

16. im going to put a few up in a different thread!

17. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

why not . just becuase you dont like em. i own one

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

A great bunch of enthusiastic gearheads! Variety of cars was interesting, something for every traditionalist's taste could be found here. Absent though, were the gold-chainers, checkbook-hotrodders, and the folding-chair lizards. My kind of event! The burn out contests were cool, and there were some awesome bands that played. I hope that even with the problems with the "wet behind the ears" new Grand Sierra management, that this event can be be done again next year. My suggestion to Paul and Robert though would be to drop the name of the show for something different. Let's open that re-naming up to the attendees that were there. I am sure we could do better. And as far as somebody's suggestion in another post about no club parking areas, that would be wrong, club's are an essential part of the hotrodding community. Just go up to these guys and introduce yourself, don't be intimidated, you will find some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet in these clubs. They, for the most part are not exclusive, or snobs. Just friends hangin' out together.

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^ thanks ,I was'nt able to make it .hope it works out for them in the future.theres going to be a few changes this year, should be interesting to say the least

20. i agree with what you said tom,
    it was kinda 'blue collar' car show.
    not so many "i spent....." kinda cars there.

21. MadeInThe70s

MadeInThe70s
    from Reno, NV

Not trying to pick a fight, but club only parking areas by definition are exclusive. At a bigger show it wouldn't be a big deal. But at a small event like this, not mixing it up, spreading it out evenly, it's very noticeable when those groups leave early.

I really only brought it up because there were so many empty spaces and a few strategically placed cars so no one else could park there.

Also I am a naive idiot who wishes all the groups would just accept each other as people who love their cars. :D

22. Brahm

Brahm

ah bummer i missed this thread. I'm 2 hours away .. and sat around on my ass this weekend watching frozen rain come down.

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Okay, likewise, not picking any fights here. Curious, did you try to make contact with any of the club members?... Here is what I saw, the clubs (that defined their space somewhat) were the last people to leave the event. I know that because I was there till 3:15 on Sunday. Not mixing it up? I pulled in early on Friday, one of the club members came over and informed me I would have to move, that that row was for "club" parking. One of the other members of that club came over to me and said "you got a cool car, you hang with us"
    The guy that first came over and told me I would have to move, well now, we are good buds.
    So see, don't be so judgemental. We are all car people, out to have a good time...

24. Hell, I didn't make it to any shows over the weekend...Had to work...That was cool...filled my wallet a bit...And I saved 30 bucks on gas:D

25. Kirsten

Kirsten

I hung out with a "club" all weekend and we welcomed any and everybody into our set-up. We even had a full bar set up and made mixed drinks and handed out PBR's for tips. Everyone I met this weekend was super cool and down to earth. I had a blast.

26. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

we got any pics yet? thanx

27. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

I was there Man! Four sets of tires blown out in the burnout contest!...Whoo Hooo!!!

28. Yeah those tires getting blown were pretty intence lurker! ;);):D:D

29. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Fer Sure! Glad I didn't have to PAY for the tires...:rolleyes:

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

May not like em' Just a bunch of low dollar, owner built cars. AKA: (insert here) or, HAMB obscenities. Also, there were a few shiny ones at the show...:D
    We'll post em' up soon, so the police can pick them apart...