Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Looks good, flames is a lot of tapeing huh ?

2. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

thanks chopnweld. Its actually a PPG waterbased candy blend i tweaked around. I really like how it sprays. Im going to try my best to make Billetproof this year, theres a drag race i crew on a TF dragster that same weekend each year. Although the '51 should be done by then, so i'll probbaly lean towards Billetproof.

3. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Cool! See you there! Lemme know of any other local show this season in the bay area.

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I haven't started a build thread for my car yet. It's a '51 Merc, built in the City of Angels, lived most of its life in Arizona then made it's way to the Midwest. Now it's mine. I'm currently cleaning up the frame and about to work on brakes and suspension. Here are a few pictures:

Attached Files:

5. BRYANSAYER

BRYANSAYER

Soooon I hope hard to find time.

6. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Mine is back on the road!
    here is my daily the " Suicide Sedan"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Anyone going to Santa Maria this weekend? I will be there sat. eve/sunday.

8. 33Tudor

33Tudor

How's this for a project?:D Not mine, though. It belongs to a friend.

Attached Files:

9. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I finally got my Merc chassi back in the garage to start the pluming for the power brakes and the disc brake conversion. Once that is done I need to put the motoir upgrade in and get ready for the body!

10. Just waiting on Voo Doo Larry's glass guy to make the vent window glass and then I'll pick up the Ms. Chevious mid next week.

11. 5w32

5w32

we are just starting the wiring and looking for a "good chrome shop" for the bumpers...then the glass and interior!

Attached Files:

12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I was just estimating in my head how many hours I have into just disassembling everything attached to the frame, cleaning the frame to bare steel, filling holes unnecessary holes on the outer rails, fixing and adding welds, added weld nuts in various locations for running fuel and brake lines, boxing the rails. Then I realized I don't want to know how many hours it's been. Probably over forty hours. Just hit the bare frame with primer on Thursday night, ..... man, it was awesome to see it go on. Paint next week, then reassembly will begin. I need to start a build thread but I am waiting. Anybody else a picture-taking fiend during their build? I have 700+ already.

Attached Files:

13. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My 51 Merc project is in the "fitting & installing the glass" stage.

Attached Files:

14. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

700 photos and we get 3!!! I have take a lot of photos, not sure how many. I have hit a sticking point I am trying to figuire out.

15. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

This the question I posted on the HAMB, no repies yet:
    I have everything installed but I have a question for you guys. The front rubber brake lines provided are the same part number, but that is not a real big issue. My concern is the way the block fits to the caliper. The block at the end of the rubber brake hose is mounted sandwiched between two copper washers and held down with a bolt that allows brake fluid to pass through it

In my experience the block should fit snuggly against the ridge on the caliper so it cannot rotate. Or only rotate in the direction that would tighten the bolt. The block on the end of these hoses can spin in both directions and it concerns me, is that an issue for you guys?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Any ideas?

16. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

looks sick; keep em comin

17. mercury jeff

mercury jeff
    from brownsburg

I am glade to see someone is Geting thare merc dune . I am jelis ! I have a 51 2 door . It is ridding on a 77 olds 98 Chasy with air ride . 401 nail head for power. 53 pontiac stashion wagon tale lights . I started to chop it . I didn't like the chop it look right. So stop for a minit . My wife & I hade kid so that theraw a wrench in the plans . I plane get back on it soon. I will Sind some pics.

18. Very nice, looks like it's going to be a wonderful mild custom (with a neat powerplant!)

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Does anyone have good photos of a stock 49-51 Mercury firewall or frame with master cylinder, brakes pedal, gas pedal installed? I will be reassembling mine soon, and when I bought it, the firewall parts and master cylinder had already been disassembled.

20. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

Here's a few pictures of the brake pedal and master cylinder takin from inside with the trans. removed ,,

Attached Files:

21. Hoping on getting mine in for interior after I get back from the LA roaster show and swap!!! Looking good fellas!

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

IceBox,
    Thank you, that is exactly what I need to see.

23. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

24. How's everyone doing? Doc start a build thread I bet a ton of us would love to follow the work.

Me.... I'm driving mine. I'm bogged down on finishing the door glass, I'm still attending to driveability issues. But I plan to show mine Saturday at the local bash, Retro on Roscoe next Saturday the 6th. Once I get her running cooler and feel better about the idle/ carb, I'll start driving farther.

Step 2 I will need to get with Matt and figure out how to put these door windows back together. I'm concerned that the metal work on the vent windows is rough, and I will have to pay someone a lot to fix them.

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Well, I got the 352 assembled, and then found out that the exhaust valves hit the cylinder walls. Thankfully it isn't much, but enough to require tear down and slight relief of the block. So the block is back up at the machinist, and I am still waiting for its return.
    [​IMG]

However, there is plenty of body work still to do. The windshield header has been replaced, just have to do the tailgate now.

Before...
    [​IMG]

Rust = Bad (Damn Mice)
    [​IMG]

All Done.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for putting up with this "new" wagon on this thread with some very awesome '49-'51 customs.

26. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I have it on good authority that my '55 Merc will have the body work done and will be painted and ready for motor/interior by Sept. 30th.

27. jfrolka

jfrolka

Very nice!!!

28. jfrolka

jfrolka

What did you use to drop the front? Nice hemi

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'll be starting a building thread within a few weeks. I told myself I wouldn't start a build thread until I could show some serious progress. A lot of chassis related parts are painted and ready for reassembly - frame, rear axle, suspension components, brake components. I'll be picking up the body from media blasting tomorrow. I also need to partially disassemble the Flathead to paint it all one color - since it's 4 colors right now.

On another note, I'm looking for the current owner of my last Mercury - a 1951 four door. I know this much: They are around the Port Huron, MI area, they bought it from a guy named Jerry in the early 2000's (whom I sold it to). It was a 1951 four door, originally green with a white top, but may have been in primer black when they bought it. It had the original flathead with a Mercomatic. I'm just curious what became of that car. It was the Merc I bought, then never had this skills or money to create what I wanted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  30. Wow your Merc is gonna look great.