Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 - 1951 Mercury Parts/ Reproduction Parts List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Feb 4, 2009.

1. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Yes, all were fab'd out of 16 ga, but flash rust evident where someone had handled the parts. Made no attempt to at least "oil" them down for some rust prevention.

2. mercuryland rockers are junk...I have been messing with mine for awhile now. They are bent straight without a curve in it, and the front cup piece that sits behind the fender is total crap.

mine are galvanized as well.

tok

3. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Tokyo did you buy the $270 set or the $650 set? I just got some of the $270 and Unionvillehaunt didn't seem to think they were junk... In fact that was the question we asked Joel on the phone was "Do they have the right curvature" the answer was YES!

4. I finally had a chance to chat with Bill Papke. I hope I'm that active when I'm 68. I'm going to see if we can do some business together.

5. I bought some vent windows from Bill Papke he has a lot of parts for 49-51 Mercs and shoeboxes. He can be a little gruff but he's nearing 70. :)

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

7. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

For a really good selection of used and some N.O.S. parts:

Mike Walser Mercury Parts
    Fritch, Tx

806-857-3123

8. SportSedan

SportSedan

Does Mike got website?.

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Where can I get a spare tire well? I don't need the entire trunk floor.

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I got mine from Bill Papke.

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

On Ebay I just ran across a company in MI selling new Dayton 49-51 Merc stock rear leaf springs with bushings for $225 + $50 shipping. They do not have dropped springs. Name on ebay is springking0001, or McVeighs' Truck Springs, Inc. Mio, Michigan 48647, Phone: 1-989-826-3682, Email: [email protected].

Jamco sells stock height up to a 4" drop rear leafs springs for $399 + $30 shipping + $22 bushings

EDIT: See reply #81 for more leaf spring information

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think there is a company making a fiberglass tire well. Can't recall the name.

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I think it's Mercuryland that has fiberglass spare tires wells. I'm interested in a steel spare tire well. Emailed Bill Papke earlier today.

14. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

keep it updated. I'm interested as well. :D

15. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Does anyone know where I can get either an original Cal Custom center piece that joins the two halves of a stock 1950 Mercury front grille? The Cal Custom piece replaces the stock center piece. Already checked with Bill Papke. He makes a repop version for $300. Can't appreciate the value at that price. Even a picture would be appreciated.

16. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Check with Flat Top Bob (Owens Salvage) here on the HAMB. He has quite the inventory of used parts.

Chris Robbins in Germanville, PA is also another source of new and used Merc parts. He specializes in 49-51 Mercs. His phone number is 610-767-0411. He does not have a website. Nice guy, I bought some front sheet metal for my 51 Merc from him.

17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Has anyone purchased new drums for their 51 Mercury? I ran across these part numbers for Mercury brake drums on another classic car site. I would assume they also work for 1949 & 1950. The front drums require a little work to make fit, but the rear drums are supposed to go on with no problem. Anybody tried these, or have other part numbers for replacement drums?
    Front Brake Drum - Napa Part # 6401070 (old) ==> new part number 440-1070
    Rear Brake Drum - Napa Part # 6401073 (old) ==> new part number 440-1073 $45 a piece

EDIT: Went to Napa today. Updated post with new part numbers.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Doctor Detroit
    ,I found the site:
    http://www.classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=18&id=1567&Itemid=152
    As you know, 49-51 Merc. brake drums are very hard to find. I wonder if 49-51 Ford pickup drums would fit since the Merc rear was also used in the 1/2 ton pick up .It would be nice to know exactly what vehicles those part numbers you listed fit. 49-51 Merc. drums have an 11 inch ID. with a 5x5 1/2 in. BP.
    The OEM part numbers for the 1949-51 Merc front brake drums with the 3 little 11/32" holes are 8M-1125-A. Rears with the 3 little 11/32 in. holes are are 8M 1126-A.
    1952 Merc fronts (without the 3 11/32in holes ) are MA-1125-A and MA-1126-A.
    Wonder if 1952 Merc drums could be used to replace the 49-51 Merc. drums. You could always drill the 11/32" holes.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'd like to add St. Louis Spring Company to the list. I contacted a handful of spring manufacturers, most would make a stock height set of 1951 Mercury leaf springs. St. Louis Spring made a 4" drop set of Rear Leaf Springs for my '51 for a very reasonable price. Bushings not included. The best part about it is I called to order them five days ago, and they arrived today. I spoke with Nick, and I wish every company had customer service like St. Louis Spring.

St. Louis Spring Company
    Hand-crafted Leaf Spring Suspension since 1945
    http://SaintLouisSpring.com
    314-533-2132
    Most orders made and shipped within one business day

Attached Files:

20. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

For those of you running the original rear end with drums on your 49-51 Mercury, here are a few pictures of the Napa rear brake drums. These pictures show the modification you'll need to do. The three holes that attach the drum to the rear axle shaft must be enlarged. The picture showing three drums are the old rusty Mercury drum on top, a new drum on the lower left with silver markings where I need to enlarge, and the lower right is after they are enlarged. The last picture is the old drum laid on top of a new drum for marking the new hole locations.

Rear Brake Drum - Napa Part # 6401073 (old) ==> new part number 440-1073 $45 a piece

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Does anyone have a source for the Rear Floor riser area, under the rear seat? Winfield will make them, but it's a special order. Their rear floor replacement panels don't include the riser/under rear seat area. They also offer trunk sections in three pieces - left, center, and right.

22. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I haven't done the rears on my 51 yet but I have done the fronts and they had to be done the same way with 53 to 63 F100 drums. I purchased Raybestos Brand from Rock Auto and got a pretty fair deal for Canadian made parts. The retainer holes are located pretty much the same as the Dana 41/44 rear drums are for the F1 pickups through 1952. The hub center hole is larger on the 53 thru 63 F100 drums but I found some spacers that will fit tight enough to keep them centered if the lugs get loose for one reason or another. It's the only thing out there for now. Its just too bad they don't pierce some for the 49/51 Mercs.

Added 8/7/2011: I figured I'd add some info about Mike Stude's rockers for 4-door cars. I've heard that the 2-door versions are near weld on and finish but the straight skinny on the four door ones is not that easy. They have none of the oblong openings on the top surface that lighten the structure and he had to pinch the lower compound curved outer surface in order to form that compound curve. To make them look right, I'll have to pie cut those pinched areas then straighten the pinches out and butt weld them back together. I guess the shorter 2-door version didn't need to be curved as much since I have not seen any with the pinches in there. I would have been happier with them if he had just cut slots to allow them to be compound curved but this would have left the part vulnerable to bending during shipping & handling. Nothing is ever as easy as you would hope for.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  23. lkydevils13

lkydevils13

damm this post helps out alot thanks

24. jfrolka

jfrolka

Has anybody had an experience with 51 merc coupe body mount pads?

I got my merc as a project w/o any body pads so I have nothing to reference from.

Was looking at C&G Early Ford Parts out of Escondido, Ca... any good? Only $40 for the whole kit.

25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

You can also find body mount pads at Rubber the Right Way, Jamco, & Mercuryland. I'm about to buy some, but I haven't yet. Mercuryland is the most expensive, but I've received nice quality rubber from them for other parts. Let us know which ones you decide on.

Rubber the Right Way catalog:
    http://www.rubbertherightway.com/1949-1951-mercury-52454-prd1.htm

Jamco (also on ebay):
    http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/88/sfID2/80/productID/1222

Mercuryland catalog:
    http://www.mercuryland.com/Catalogue.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011