Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I'm a stupid kid..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

So... that's how YOU learned to wrench?

Or did you just jump in?

Like the rest of us, and learn from trial and error and a load of
    Hot, hellish work that STILL felt good cause you where wrenching
    And that’s way you love and it's the ONLY way to earn respect here.

Fuckin up 30 times before you get it right isn’t stupid...
    It teaches you 30 ways how NOT to do it and that's JUST AS IMPORTANT!

Don’t take the tradition out of it. It’s there for a reason.

2. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

damn this kid touched something in us all! 5 pages of responses in one day for being the ugly side of a shitty deal!

my 3.5 cents echoes most of the responses - and hell at least your in the game now and at an early age! if you forget all else - dont forget that most everyone is out to get you - question everything youre told twise and try to disprove it with knowledge you gained from the last episode of rip off artist 101 that you go through!

knowledge is golden and most just try to put up nickels with bullshit!

at least thejn when a good guy shines through and actually helps or offers the good deal itll be obvious and well appreciated!

good luck kid! good on ya.

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

do, do, do, do, think... Personally I would rather think, think, think, do...

4. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Yeah thanks and believe me all of this advice is greatly appreciated! I honestly felt like giving up on this car today, now I'm ready to build the whole damn thing from the ground up!

5. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

shit i hate when i read the first page and laze out to a response - yeah forget my positive support bullshit - you got suckered into a more door to lay a skull on the package tray?!?!?? keep readin hotrodz til your sore from jerkin off and then roll back here after you figured out how to get yourself off the side of the road a few times without whining on a forum!

ok for reals im somewhere between my first and second post - leaning towards supportin ya with a lil tough love - but ditch the knick knack shit - youll thank us in a year or two for that trust us!

glad your remotivated at least

6. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

You know. There’s a difference between a man that learns for himself and one that goes by what others say.

He’s the same as a artist that creates his own works of art as opposed to the paint by numbers guy... they have the SAME thing but only one of them really made it.

Ya gotta ask yourself, do you create or do you paint by numbers... and can you live with the
    End product and with yourself at the end... Is it yours or is it the man’s that told you how to do it?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Listen guy I've done plenty of work to the car before so don't talk shit like you know me. You don't like the skull? Fine. You think I'm an asshole for getting a 4 door? Fine. I never asked. I posted on here because I'm new to this and i'm looking for a little help, not to hear shit from nobody. Don't get me wrong I respect your guy's opinions, but if you're gonna be a prick about then leave it alone.

8. heavytlc

heavytlc

Are you a stupid kid? I can tell you that almost all of us have done something stupid. I could give you great advise about how to pay attention, pay your bills, show up on time, and think about the future. You only stop being a stupid kid when you are old and wise.

KEEP IT RUNNING, do not add skulls or stickers. If your car is not in good running order, work on it til it is. Safe and good stopping are part of good running order. When you can get in it and drive it 1000 miles with out opening the hood, in my opinion you can personalize it.

Pride of ownership comes from driving, and keeping it driving. I drive my shit MANY miles, more than most. None of my cars are real pretty. I smile every time I am behind the wheel of any of them.

9. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

chill out , no room for anger here.. lots for argument.. but not anger.

your going to have to live with critisism.. it's in us all to do that..

shrug it off and don't let shit get to ya.

you dig?

10. Abomb

Abomb

Artist's these days start with natural talent, then go to school to learn technique.....there's very few Piccaso's in the world, but a shit load of commercial artists, There's not a damn thing wrong with asking advice, and taking it, especially when without it, you'd give up....If we all take your advice to it's logical conclusion, we'd have to build our own foundry and build our car from raw materials....

Learn and apply, trust me, it's faster to use previous knowledge, and apply it to your situation.......or I guess you could try to fix your car using rocks and sticks.....just because somebody else invented tools.

In this case, I'd start with the rear shocks, cause you shouldn't drive an unsafe car far enough to get it hot, then I'd address the cooling issue, along with a tune up. Then go after the leaks, and finally, tackle the rust repair. If you tear it apart to address all the issues at once, it's easy to become overwhelmed and lose interest in the project, they're a whole lot less fun if you can't drive it, trust me, I've been there and done that.......

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Yeah, you're right thanks. 1, 2, 3...

12. deto

deto

Your analogy is poor. You're comparing the ability to create art to that of the ability to take a vehicle that is almost 50 years old and make it safe and reliable.

How many artistic ways are there to correctly tighten lug nuts, torque heads, pack bearings?

My advice stands because I made plenty of mistakes building cars, some of them extremely costly. I didn't have anybody to look towards for advice He said he is financially up tp his balls in just the purchase price of the car.

The last thing I want is for him to say fuck it, I just blew another $2000 on a shitty engine/trans/rear end/patch panels etc. and now I'm just gonna sell the car to recover the cost.

If he decides to tackle big projects like an engine rebuild and the bottom end lets go, I highly doubt he'll say...

"Its ok, I'm an artist."

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Yay, this is turning into a pissing match! yaaaaay.

Hey kid, don't take anything too personally-everybody gets a little jabbing around here from time to time. Hey when I was 16 I had a stupid skull shifter, big deal?

14. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

touché .

if i where realy into this argument i'd counter with an eddison quote.

but how many people get to say they got defeated by a urinal?

ok.. so most in wheel chairs.. but thats not my point.. lol.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Will you guys quit arguing about ARTISTS? Instead of rambling on about hypothetical bullshit, help the kid out with some advice.

16. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

you are kindly invited to shit in your own hat.

2 on one ain't fair .

it's cause im white isin't it!!!

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Read more books dude.

I stand by brakes/engine/other

18. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

your right.

and it's all my fault.

i take the blame.

take it from here guys..

i'm off to snag a guinness.

19. deto

deto

art fags for life...

Fuck it. I'm gonna grab a beer too. Budwieser time.

20. RichG

RichG

Guinness? That's not traditional!

Oh wait, it probably is: carry on.

Alright kid, you've gotten the full Hamb experience, now start reading and then start doing.

P.S. skulls suck.:p

21. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

buying a 4 door has nothing to do with me calling you an asshole and youre the one that said it overheats at every light so........hahahaaa!!!
    ahh heck - lighten up frances! that WASNT me being a prick - trust me on that one - reread my posts - i was actually sympathetic with your situation. remind me again what skulls have to do with ANYTHING this site represents? it deserves to be poked at in my opnion - interst in old cars and random doohickey whathoozit knickerknacks doesnt entitle thee to be a hotrodder! if that makes me a prick than so be it. and yes i was there at one time too and wish someone older and cooler had told me to wise up - do or dont i really dont give 9 shits

Im all for supporting the guys younger than me - but you sought advise and we are giving it - toughen the skin or dont ask! ill agree with stupid if stupid needs agreein with afterall - but at the end of the day your 4 door is probably cooler than most all else in the bar parking lot - ill buy that round!

22. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Well anyway, about the car.. haha what a thread this is becoming!

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

harse...:(

24. Abomb

Abomb

Hey, at least I turned the art stuff back into car talk, and as for non-traditional, I'm about to get a Budlight.....

25. deto

deto

HAHAHAHA! HOLY SHIT! I have officially become a HAMBURGLAR! I stole this poor kids thread with a debate about art.

Feel free to punch me in the face via posts...

And to the kid who started the thread, WELCOME TO THE HAMB!

26. RichG

RichG

27. dannyego

dannyego

Skulls are traditional. Just ask Norm Grabowski. Keep the skull kid, it's better than fuzzy dice or a crying doll

28. Quote of the thread!:cool:

29. heavytlc

heavytlc

You kinda get it, keep reading...

30. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Ok, but I asked for advice about the car, not whether you like the skull or not. And believe it or not, i've managed to get myself off the side of the road a few times without whining to nobody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.