Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 roadster/hallock/glass - how does this template look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by endlessearth, May 10, 2011.

1. endlessearth

endlessearth

I am replacing the smoked plexi in the Hallock-style windscreen on my '29 roadster with glass. On the drivers side is the smoked plexi. On the passenger side is a template that I cut out of carboard. I am going to have a local glass company cut from the template. As the car is partially-channeled the plexi windshield comes up to my chest and I wanted to get a little more protection from wind and stones (always an issue here in the open desert) so I drew a higher arc. It looks ok to me but I wanted to get another opinion if you all don't mind. There is a profile shot of the car in my avatar.

[​IMG]

2. looks good to me....where did you get the screen frame..I'm feeling a need for one!!
    PM me OK?

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on the I like it. Somehow that gives it a real 30's look. I like it cut the other way too though.

5. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I like it. Looks similar to the one Iam trying to build.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Needs more height on the outer edge as well.

7. I like it too, but I can't stop thinking of that scene in the original Omen movie. Can you take a picture from the side in profile?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, after seeing it bigger consider it "grown" on me!

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Gonna look like the top of a Valentine heart when both sides done.. I like the old.......

10. lorodz

lorodz

try it maybe straight on top without the curve

11. blitz

blitz

um i coudls see some broken glass coming your way with all that unprotected glass. But then maybe not. may be try it in plexi for the summer and get the glass cut in the fall.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I was thinking ass cheeks but Valentine heart sound better
    but it the end I am just a ass hole its your car build it for you

13. striper

striper

I'm running a very similar screen and have the same issues. I think alchemy is right. If you sit in the driver's seat you'll see you don't get that much benefit from just making the centre taller.

I would definitely cut 2 templates and make sure you are happy with the relationship of the two pieces of glass. I suspect that radius in the centre may be a bit big.

[​IMG]

14. endlessearth

endlessearth

Thanks for all the comments. "Ass cheeks!" LOL! I am going to cut a template with less radius in the center and less of a taper to the outside.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Looks good. The driver's side looks "street rod"

Your template version looks much nicer.

16. endlessearth

endlessearth

I dont know what scene you are talking about but it sounds scary. Does it involve glass and decapitation?..cuz that would be bad.

[​IMG]

17. Here's how mine was done. I really like the shape better than most I've seen.

Attached Files:

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah
    x2

19. endlessearth

endlessearth

I like that a lot!

20. Yep, exactly. The windshield looks really good! I was curious how it looked from the side because of the 28-29 cowl. It really fits the car well.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey curbspeed! Who did your windshield? I could be wrong, but it doesn't look Hallock to me, but close... My roadster P/U is crying for one after working with endlessearths car

22. endlessearth

endlessearth

I took another pass at it tonight. I decreased the radius and increased the amount of glass at the outer edge. Thoughts? And thanks again everyone for the feedback. I know this isnt very technical but no forum other than this one has the "eye" for the details.

[​IMG]

23. A Boner

A Boner

I like the last version best. I think it would work better too (as a wind screen).

24. alchemy

alchemy

Looks better. How about you make a sample that has the top edge following the same profile as the bottom edge? You could slant the whole thing down a touch to the outer end, but I think it would be interesting to see if that same shape would look good on the top.

25. bob giles

bob giles

Here's another one to compare. Just picked up the glass today.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      113.1 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
  26. endlessearth

endlessearth

That looks great.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That was more what I was thinking. I believe that would also be a lot more efficiant at keeping the wind out your eyes and face... And I base this belief on absolutely nothing!

28. My glass was turned over to a buddy in Washington that worked as a glazier. I got really lucky as he is a hotrodder and has a good eye. Not only that, he did it for free. My windshield frame was made by Rob Miller out of San Diego. He made the pattern off an original Hallock. He gave up making them as too many people jumped in the ring. I had my two halves welded together on the front side. It's a lot of work to get one of these things to fit. They are windy when driving. You gotta sit low. I had to lower my seats after I drove it awhile.