Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to get a bonded title (in AZ at least)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeRose, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

desertdroog asked me about this, and I decided to post my response here on the main board as well as PM him, in case anyone else could use this info. It's just what I had to do, to title my model T a while back. Hope it helps someone.

It should be fairly painless if you have a bill of sale, and the car has the vin tag on it still.

Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Get the car inspected at the DMV. They'll run the numbers to make sure it's not stolen and verify that the vin matches the bill of sale. (in my case there was no record on file in AZ)

**If the car was purchased from someone out of state. They'll probably make you send a letter to that states DMV requesting that they do a search for records of that vin. I had to do this because I bought the car from a guy in NV. I sent Nevadas DMV a letter. I got a letter back with a print out saying the car wasn't on record in Nevada.

2. Send a registered letter to the previous owner requesting a title. (even though he obviously doesn't have one) Make sure it's the kind of letter that the guy has to sign for, and that you get the paper work saying that he signed for it. This little receipt just protects you, and the DMV requires this.

3. Go to your insurance agent, and pay for a bond. It was about $90 in my case.

(This is insurance, to protect the state if someone comes forward later claiming the car was theirs. If that were to happen the car would'nt be given back to them, they would just pay him the estimated value.)

4. Take your bond, the receipt from the letter you sent, and the paper work from the DMV inspection, take this all back to the DMV. They will issue you a title for it.

Its a bit of running around and stuff, but over all it was fairly easy. I had to figure this all out on my own. No one seemed to know. If you need more help let me know.

-mike

2. jaybee

jaybee

Pretty much how it works in Iowa as well. After 3 years bonded the state will grant a "clear" title just like any other.

3. desertdroog

desertdroog

The only question I have is regarding the inspection levels and having to pay 1.5 times the value of the car. Is that the value of my receipts and price of the car added together X 1.5 or the original value of the car X 1.5?

I also talked to another Az HAMBR who may also have a solution for me. Thanks Katatonic Mike for posting this. I did a search earlier this morning and found your old post but it was an overview.

4. MilesM

MilesM

I believe level 1 will not do it. You will need a level 2 or 3 inspection.

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I got a title bond from my State Farm Insurance agent (in Arkansas). $119.00 and five minutes. No big deal.

6. rickhz

rickhz

I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but does anyone have an answer to this?

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In Colorado, a DMV licensed dealer can give a written estimate of the finished vehicle and that is the number used to get a bond. Showing the dealer a stack of invoices can be helpful. It also helps if you know the dealer.

8. Number98

Number98

Anybody ever accomplish this in the state of Georgia?

I have a pickup that I have owned for 11 years now and was purchased with a bill of sale (which Georgia allows) from another Ga. resident and I have always wanted to title it.... maybe this would be the way??

9. Back to the top

After the letter to the p.o. has been received and sent back without the title and the bond is paid and all needed paperwork is in order, all the i's are dotted the t's are crossed, the hoops are jumped through........... how long does it take for the title to be printed up and in your posession so you can register the vehicle?

10. About two minutes. :)

11. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

If I remember correctly I only needed a level one inspection. I am pretty certain as I know I did not tow the car down there twice. I think as long as there is vin numbers or in my case the engine number, thats all they need. Now if there are no numbers or something weird to it, they probably would require a different level.

The part that took the longest was waiting for receipt of the registered letter I had to send asking for the title. I don't think the bond insurance was more than $100. In fact I think it was more like $80, but its been a while...

12. I have an engine with numbers and a plate in the door jam so it sounds like smooth sailing through some turbulent filled waters. Thanks for answering back so soon.

13. Sounds like you switched out the VIN plate from another truck to the '47 COE .
    Which is a felony in Ariz.

Only problem with that is .....the serial # to that 1954 261 motor don't belong to you.

Switching the VIN plate on the body is none of our business ... but the engine from that truck is still our business.

The LAST thing we want to do is report that 261 engine serial # as stolen which would then make even a simple level 1 Ariz. MVD inspection go very bad for you & will result in impoundment of the whole truck based on a positive 10-29 NCIC hit .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hnq_hK4yDQ

You need to contact us on arrangements to return the 261 from this truck like you promised 6 months ago BEFORE you try to pull your switched VIN # caper with the Ariz. MVD Steve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. Dont worry Joe. I am talking about my 1/2 ton, not the c.o.e that i paid cash for and was promised a title and vin plate from the guy you sold the truck to and i bought it from. Your engine and trans are safe and sound still awaiting a title from Jason before i work on it. I told you once he provides me with the correct documentation you will get your parts back. Sorry its taking longer than i expected to get my title i paid for which is taking longer for you to get your parts. Maybe since my last conversation with him he basically threatened me by saying something to the lines of, 'you dont know who your messin with', you may be able to talk him into handing over the title and vin plate.

15. Ron in AZ

Ron in AZ

I just got my title done for my coe about 8 weeks ago and here is what I did...
    http://www.vintagetitles.com/
    I bought the deal on ebay and I had all I need to do a title WITH OUT A BOND and WITH OUT HAVING AN INSPECTION ..in about 8 days !
    (IT was an out of state truck also).

Search "TITLE SERVICE" on ebay motors
    Web site is the same guy as on ebay. 2 other friends of mine did the same thing for there cars so I know the the guy is safe to deal with.
    OR.......
    IF you have just a noterised bill of sale WITH the vin on it (No title needed) you can get a title as long as it has not been registered in the last 10 years WITH OUT an inspection. Motor vehicle is very lax now as the state needs money.(even if out of state)
    I have a few friends that went that route just a few months ago also and it worked..... so I am not making these things up .
    PM me and I'll give you details what I had to do to get my title.. It cost about the same in the end doing the ebay route as the long strung out MVD, but you have a title and plate in your hand in less than 10 days.....with out an inspection...!
    Ron in AZ

16. Ron in AZ

Ron in AZ

PS: The amount of the 1.5 X is taken from something like a Blue book of value I think it is the NADA.com
    And it IS a level 3 inspection... pain in the AZZ.... wait or I should say waste half a day there...in Tucson you have to make an appointment, that is why I did the painless way...(about the same money but you dont age as fast)...

17. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I am pretty certain that they only needed a level one inspection in my case. As long as there are numbers and they believe them to be unmodified or messed with, they only require a level 1. Level 2 or 3 is if there are no numbers, or other signs that something has been done to fake them. At least that is my understanding.

The process was easy. The only hard part was finding a DMV agent who knew enough to about the process to tell me what to do. It did take a little while since I had to mail a letter to the previous owner and wait for his signature confirmation. (He was out of the country for a time.)

If your way is as easy as you say, I might try that route next time. I did waste a few half days in the DMV.

18. Anyone with DMV questions just need to go here for a phone # & give them a call.
    Google DMV.org click on the state you live in.
    I did this with my 85 GMC which I had titled in Ore. The gal intructed me what I needed to bring to DMV office & I was outa there in less than 30 minutes with title & plates. Give them a try first.

19. jerden

jerden

I need help im in Texas and I have a 1949 studabacker pu I need a title for this truck there is no numbers or markings on the truck itself no motor. I am trying to fix it up. The truck does nopt run and is in pieces. Any ideas on how I can get a title?

20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Try the search function here on the board, every state is a little different and the guys above are talking about Arizona. I know I've seen several conversations on title issues in Texas - I think they may have the bonded title deal as well, but you can find that out.

Click on the search button at the top of the page, and then go to advanced search. There you can enter the search words (like "Texas title"), and click the box to search just in the Hokey Ass Message Board section.

21. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

What if a car was given to me without a bill of sale? Should I try to get one or is there another way to title it? Someone told me I needed an abandoned title but this sounds better cuz first off the car was not abandoned and second I gotta good chance at getting a bill of sale

22. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Hey Anthony, I think getting a bill of sale would be worth the effort. At least from my experience. I guess you could go to the DMV and ask, but there is always a chance you will get someone who doesn't really know the process and isn't interested in being helpful. I would think the more paperwork you can get, the better though. If the guy you got the car from had a title at one point, he should be able to request a duplicate and then sign it over to you. If not, then I am not sure. Probably the bonded title is the way to go.

23. CMG1973

CMG1973
    from Arkansas

Another option, depending on the state you live in, is to file what is called a "quiet title" action in the local Circuit Court. Basically you file a lawsuit against the car itself (i know, it sounds stupid) and against the DMV (DFA here in Arkansas) as long as the DMV/DFA doesn't show it stolen or currently registered, and you have a valid bill of sale, the Court will issue an Order to the DMV/DFA to issue you a title. It's a little more complicated than that, but not much. Cost to file the suit where i live, $165.00. That's a clear title with no bond required. PM me if anyone needs details. I could give you the basics but don't want to be accused of giving legal advice in a state where i'm not licensed.

24. I went last Friday to the mvd on 59th ave and south of bell to get inspected. I pulled up in the level 2/3 lane and the guys asked what makes me so sure I dont need a level 1. I said because the numbers on the vin plate are hard to make out. So they stopped working with the car they were inspecting and grabbed a book and started to check my numbers. One guy read off the numbers as the other guy was checking the book, which I refer to as the vin Bible. The numbers came back valid for a 1947 Chevrolet truck which is what I have and I was told to go into the level 1 line. Another guy came out and typed some info into his little computer thing. Entered the vin number and told me to sign my name, ho inside, and get a number and let the lady know that I have passed the inspection and I need a bonded title. After sitting there for over an hour my turn came to find out my trucks fate. The lady asked for all my documents to support that the truck is mine. Since I did not have a title or Bill of sale or anything she proceeded to run the numbers through the system. I explained the story how I got the truck and I had to write down the story I told her on a mvd paper. I lost contact with the previous owner and stated that I bought it from California. The lady went somewhere and then came back with a value which then she told me I needed a bond for the amount of $12,450. When I come back with the bond a title will be issued to me.

No need to write any certified letters and have to wait at all. No saftey inspection even though I bought it from California. Nothing. Just a bond.

I went back to the third party mvd on 51st ave and olive since it is close to my house and paid $187 for a bond so on Monday I can get a title and registration. The guy at the third party mvd said the company he deals with for bonds charges $15 per $1000. I recommend him if anyone else is in need of a good fast service like this. The guy at the third party mvd was surprised that I was able to get through the inspection process and research process so fast.

25. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I have applied for abandoned vehicle titles here in Az twice. Smooth and no bonds. They come out to inspect, you do not take it in. There are also third party inspectors that you can pay to look it over for a fee. I think it cost me $50 for the titles.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Do you mind spilling the beans as to who you used? I have the name of a third party guy that can do, it but he is wanting 350.00 per vehicle! That's alot when you consider that I have 2 bikes and 2 cars about ready for the process...

27. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

The first one I had the MVD guy come out and inspect it. I cant remember who I called on the second but it was a third party MVD store. Not sure if they are all authorized to inspect or if they have to be qualified. I would go the third party route now that it is allowed, they pretty much just want to make their $50 or $75 and go. The MVD might have a list of authorized inspectors. It went smooth for me and had a clear title within a month.

They should give you a deal to inspect several vehicles at once but I personally would only send one request at a time so you don't stand out.

28. Leave it to mvd to screw things up. After being told all I need is a bond to get a title, today I was told I need a letter from California mvd to say the vehicle has not been registered in the last 4 years. So now I wait.

29. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Unless you have out of state paperwork NEVER tell the DMV you bought/found etc. it out of state.When I saw you mentioned you got it from CA I figured you would have issues.

30. Los59

Los59
    from Phoenix AZ

Hey Mike, Great post. I Have called several MVD's here in phoenix and they all give me a different story on the process. I finally went in to speak to someone directly and again they contradicted the last person, anyway the printed me out some Bonded Title paperwork on the steps that need to be taken.

I sure hope it's as easy as you had it bud. I am still unclear about the 1.5 x the amount Bull$#!*, Ron in AZ said they use the nada.com price. Well I checked on that website and the amount of my vehicle came out to $75,000. Hopefully the level 1 inspection is all I need and again I hope this thing goes easy.

thanks again Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.