Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead ford fuel stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flthd, May 9, 2011.

1. flthd

flthd

Ive been kinda strugglin to get flattie runnin proper for a little while now but I think Im on too somthin.It has a isky max cam but built mild, new fuel pump rebuilt ford 94 carb all new 12v wiring.I cleaned and sealed the tank still kinda chuggin missing well I put a clear fuel filter on between the carb and pump but barely any fuel is gettin there but the bowl is full.I dont know how it still runs but she idles perfect:)I think I should go electric fuel pump but do I need a return? What pump do ya think?I have the stock tank.And I read on here I dont need to block the 59/a fuel pump rod bore.Any suggestions would be appreciated.I put alot of work into this thing and I want to drive it somewhere.

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used a 12v electric pump with a regulator. No return line. Plumbed it through a gutted stock Merc pump. Worked great! Just make sure you get a low pressure pump and set the reg properly. Also helps if you can hide the reg. I had mine mounted with a guage under the floor. Kind of a pain to set it up but noone knew it was there.

3. moefuzz

moefuzz

4. flthd

flthd

That carter pump is exactly what I was lookin for,thanks you two

5. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have seen it many times others may disagree you should not have a fuel filter before the stock fuel pump the pump is not designed to pull through a filter.

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I have a Carter 12volt and a fuel pump relay kit to prevent voltage drops and it works fine

7. I am inclined to agree with this, a mechanical pump on a flatty should be botheed by a little trtash. I think I have a good flathead fuel pump in my closet unless I gave it to Kevin Lee.

Not all electric pumps need a return line only high volume pumps have a heating problem without a return line.

An old hotrod trick was to run an electric back at the tank and then keep the mechanical but if your mechanical pump is bad that won't help you much.

Try loosing the filter on the backside of the pump before you start throwing money at it.

8. flthd

flthd

I put a fuel line straight from a gas can to the pump and nuthin well it squirts but barely with the filter after pump.Ive been screwin with this thing for awhile now,I just took for granted the new mechanical was fine the sedement bowl was full. I went with a carter and a relay.Ill find out this weekend if it'll work out.

9. flthd

flthd

All right it runs different know it has power but you get cruisin and she starts missing.You let her set and idle its fine.Ive been reading about power valves so I put a 6.5 in and she ran horrible it has .051 jets.The valve was a parts store holley so Im not sure it seated right Way to much fuel.

10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. holley.....splainsit all .....i hate em

12. flthd

flthd

Haha Ive been lookin at the edlebrock 94...but man 350.00 oof.Id like to try another carb out before shellin out that green.Ive had the carb apart several times.I messed with it today and with the screws about all the way out it runs alot better.Should I bump up the jet size .051?

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Just remember to stay with no more than 3.5 psi fuel pressure with early Ford carbs....especially if running either old or new Strombergs.

4TTRUK

14. flthd

flthd

I didnt get the pv yet so I plugged mine just to see what would happen.She ran considerbly smoother.The only jets I could get were .058 and I had to easy out the .051.I think I need to dail her back down.Thanks to every one for the advise.

15. as i said i HATE holleys but ive been told that if you dont jump like 7 sizes in either direction with the jets you cant really notice a change but that maybe just heresay

16. flthd

flthd

I narrowed it down to the carb and Im with ya about the holley.Im just gonna put out the money on the edlebrock 94 and get it over with.Ive come to far to let a little crappy actin carb mess up my good time.

17. flthd

flthd

heh heh Out of shear desperation I disconnected the alternater to see what would happen....she runs fine,I screwed up sumthin somewhere.Drove her around for while no miss at all.yay