Register now to get rid of these ads!

This guy needs advice!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vachzernon, May 9, 2011.

1. vachzernon

vachzernon
    from Salina KS

I'm wanting to do an engine swap in my 1950 chevy styleline deluxe. It currently has a 235 in it from 1950. I have a 283 lined up for it. I have never done an engine swap and I'm still pretty green when it comes to working on cars. I was just looking for any information on what Trans/Rear End combo would work out for me. The car currently has a PowerGlide in it with and enclosed drive train.

Thanks,
    Zach

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

If I'm not mistaken Tri-5 chevy rearends are pretty much bolt-in if you are converting to open drivshaft. Typically the firewall support ribs need to be cut so you can push the V8 back up against the wall to get it in there properly. Might take the opporunity to switch trans to something with more gears, or overdrive with the way gas prices are going. Eitherway, you'll need a driveshaft made up. 283 is a good motor and would be at home in that car. There's lots of info and pictures on these cars and that exact swap. The search function is your friend.

3. you can swap them both, but there's nothing wrong with the glide and you really don't have to mess with it if you're putting a mild 283 in front of it. the 6 cylinder glides have a better low gear as well. you may need to find a v8 bellhousing and flywheel, but it should work.
    same for the rear. if you're not planning on doing smoky burnouts and hard launches all the time, the 50 rear will hold up to a mild 283.

4. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I would try to go to a car show and see if someone has a similar swap, in this case for your first swap no use in re-inventing the wheel unless the example is wrong. Take lots of pictures to see what worked vs. what didn't. Something the best information is to find out why they didn't go a certain direction vs. why they did. Take lots of pictures.

5. that power glide rear is worth some decent coin.

6. cederholm

cederholm

I'd keep the 235 with PG. ...but that's just me.

7. Like Oldsrocket said, do a search lots of good info on these vehicles. Also look at Chevytalk.com Not a hard swap. Lots of rears that fit. you want a rear that is 60" drum to drum(outside) 4X4 S-10,Blazer, Jimmys ect fit the bill and come in ratios from 2.73 up to 4.11 Todd

8. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

I finished my swap in my '51 just before the roundup this year. If 1 man in a 1 car garage can do it, anybody can. It took me a month and a half to do it though. It was my first swap in this type of car. Let me know if you need help or pictures.

9. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

The October 2010 -April 2011 Street Rodder has a series of articles on this swap along with tranny and rear end swaps using newer Chevy parts. The October 1969 Rod and Custom has an article on this same swap using older Chevy parts. Both are well written with good pictures. It is a very easy swap. Did it in my 50 Bel air but didnt keep the powerglide or enclosed rear

10. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

All the replies above are worth reading. Well, except for one. I would advise that you hunt down a car club in the area. I am sure there are a few in or near Salinas. Introduce yourself and make friends. Ask questions. Without fail, club members are happy to share their knowledge, offer their help and maybe even tools.
    And remember, there was a time for all of us here when we knew nothing.
    Keep us updated with words and photos. Best wishes!!

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The originator of this thread needs to be more specific. First a 1950 235? No such beast, probably a 216 or 53 to 62 235. Reason I ask these questions is that if he has a 49-52 Powerglide, it will be a non shifting unit with a 5 member torque converter. If he has a 53 to 57 PG then the box will probably be ok. 58-62 PG's had different shift pattern.:cool:

Just my .02.:D

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

1950 was the first year of 235s in passenger cars, only with Powerglide. They were still babbit pounders, but 235s nonetheless.

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Heathen, thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought they were still using 216's and never thought a 235 was a babbit pounder. :eek:

Not much of a stovebolt person after having to use the "MYSTERY BOLT" to get oil up to rockers. Love those valve stems too. LOL

14. boutlaw

boutlaw

A 283 V-8 into a 51 was my first swap back in 65. Found an artilce on HOW=TO in an old Rod and Custom mag I think. As mentioned, the vertical firewall support must be removed. I even used the 3 speed that was in the car by simply redrilling the V-8 bellhousing. Kept the torque tube driveshaft, but went through 2 or 3 rearends, trying to be Mr. drag racer. If I had not abused the car, the rearends would probably have held up OK. Not sure about the PG differences, but a rearend swap would be preferable, but that means a new driveshaft and more money. I'll tell ya this, the torque tube driveshaft acts like a big traction bar as I had no spring wrap while showing my a$$.
    Sounds like D2Willys has the right info on the PG's, but I would assume the PG in the car, came in the car, if hooked to the original 6 banger. Regardless, I drove the crap outta my 51, after I finally got the hyd clutch to work. I used a slave cylinder from an F-150 at the time. I did the swap in my front yard, under a tree, 16 years old. You can certainly do it and it makes for a cool ride.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

As cheap and common as a TH350 is, I would go that route. It will make a nicer combination with the 283, and probably cheaper to find than the V8 bellhousing for the swap. I'd look at an S10 rearend, as they would work great, and they're also really cheap. The Tri 5 rearends are getting harder to find, and will be full of old parts, plus spendy.

16. cederholm

cederholm

Interesting - I've never heard that. All the research I've done says the 235 was first used in '53 and then only with a PG. Perhaps I misread my shop manual I'll recheck it.

You might also want to stop over at chevytalk.org - quite a few guys have made this swap over there, and they no a lot about these cars.

17. Greezy

Greezy

In my old 51 I had a 283 PG and a 10 bolt out of a 75 or so Nova. I would personaly put a TH350 behind it.

18. 36fred

36fred

I did this swap for my brother a couple years ago. I used a camaro rear, it was perfect. As Greezy said nova is also perfect fit. I also went mustang II up front with power and drives like a dream.

19. vachzernon

vachzernon
    from Salina KS

Thank you so much everyone! I think I'll put the behind the 283 with one of the mentioned rear ends. I don't plan on doing any crazy burnouts or anything but I don't want to risk breaking it. Thanks again! Can't wait to get started

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It sounds like you got the answers you were looking for, but if there's anything more, this is a pretty comprehensive thread on swapping a V8 into a '49 to '54 Chevrolet.

-Dave

21. Greezy

Greezy

Then whats the point?...:D

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best advice, right there. along with finding new homes for all the pieces you take out.

An aluminum powerglide might fit in that chassis a little better but a turbo 350 or maybe a 200R4 would give you a lot more flexibility in the driving.

We put a 283 and powerglide in a 53 Sedan delivery 20 something years ago and it went in pretty easy after we fabricated mounts for it.

23. i was thinking about this earlier (smell smoke??). why not consider a 4 speed? there's is just something right about a 283 and a 4 speed. you'd have to take it easy on the stock rear, or upgrade it.