Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Special Sam, May 8, 2011.

1. Alright, here's the deal. I've got my project car started. My health has begun to fail and I'd still like to do something with this car. I'm an extremely anal person so just half assing anything really kills me, but it's becoming clear I'll never be able to do this car all the way. I wanted to put in some new metal on the lower quarters and fit my already purchased skirts and finish out the paint. The heater core leaks so i wanted to get that fixed and I wanted to get some Cokers for it. The money has given out and I physically can't deal with the quarters or the heater core. Here's the question. Should I just bondo up the rust, throw on some blackwall radials, bypass the heater core and try to get it on the road and enjoy what little I can. It's not really the way I wanted it to look but I've been waiting to see if I would get to where I could do something to it but doesn't seem that's going to happen. I know a lot of people think you shouldn't put it on the road till it's ready, I'm one of them, but I really would love to drive this thing around some while I'm able, even if it doesn't look like I want it to. Just looking to get other's opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not knowing exactly what ales you or age but heres a thought. If this is a car thats not going to anyone in the future. Post a message thru what ever avenue you would like that your looking for someone to help with build (both in funds and labor) and that down the road the car will be theres for the keeping. Car gets done correctly and both parties are happy. Just a thought, John

3. That would probably work fine if it were a 2 dr. Most people could care less about a 4 dr and would not be willing to invest time and money in a "parts car".

4. Johnny Gee's suggestion is still worth a shot. Does not sound like it will take much to get your car rolling right. Who knows maybe a high school kid or somebody eager to learn would step up. May be a long shot but you never know.
    Ultimately, you got to go in a direction that's going to make you happy. Will you have a smile on your face driving the car unfinished?

Last edited: May 9, 2011

5. billygoat67

billygoat67

check with your local community college, some have body shop courses and might help you out on at least getting some metal welded in and body work done on the quarters.
    the heater core, by pass it untill alater time, atleast you'll be able to drive her.

ps;any extra stuff you have laying around get it on ebay,you'll be suprised what some stuff is worth to someone else. that will generate some extra cash.
    hope that helps

6. Yes.

Well, screw the bondo. Get it driving, drive it, then worry about fixing it. It could be your B-24 bomber.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can't see any of the items you mentioned while driving it. Enjoy the ride. Bob

8. racer32

racer32

Which would you enjoy more-looking at it unfinished on jack stands, or driving it unfinished?

I drive an "unfinished" project truck. I'd rather drive it than look at it.

9. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I say enjoy it while you can and perhaps some of the suggestions about getting others involved might be of help to you...heck, the worst they can say is, "no" and you just might warrant some help and teach a few college or high school kids something about that car. In any case, the best of luck!

10. I'm thinking that get it on the road any way possible is probably going to be the solution. I was really counting on the skirts and the cokers so it would at least have some looks.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. My thoughts probably really matter but here they are anyway..

My health has been bad for quite some time. Everyday it seems that I get a little closer to not being able to get the job done. When I do I suffer for several days, but I just keep chugging along knowing that someday if I just keep chugging along something will be finished and I'll cruise it if I am still able.

You on the other hand, sound like you have a tentative date to pay your 2 pence and cross the river. I don't know you but I am truly sorry that your life has taken that turn. Where I in your situation I would do what was required to get it on the road and cruise it. There are two reasons for that actually, one is that you can take a cruise before you pay the boatman and the other is that you are not leaving something behind that is unsellable for those who deal with things like that to deal with.

13. Weasel

Weasel

Life is too short not to be having fun. That's why I am selling my hoarded future projects to concentrate on getting something running before it is too late. No point in busting your ass on something only not to get to use and enjoy it. I'd throw it together and have some fun with it. Carpe diem as they say - live for the day....

14. Some days you feel like working, other days you feel so you don't work.
    If your health is an issue, then I would get some help (the community college is a great idea) squirt the lower portion of the car, bypass the heater (its getting warmer), and drive it WHILE you can....THEN if the situation changes you can ALWAYS redo the body and install the heater core. Sometimes you have to use some hemi creme.....

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sorry to hear about the health issues,but get it driveable and safe and enjoy the ride .You can"t take it with you and As they call it a bucket list,you got the bucket,put the handle on it and enjoy the ride.Good luck man.

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I say get it going and drive the thing.

17. I appreciate the responses. I guess I knew what to do the whole time, I just really wanted the paint, skirts and cokers on it before I ever took it out. Of course I also wanted to be handsome and wealthy but I had to learn how to deal with not getting that and I'll have to learn to deal with this also. Thanks.

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Id also look around for some help; youd be amazed at whoese out there. we're building a 4 door and LOVE it so there are people out there who enjoy them just as much as 2 doors. I'd just get it running and driving and enjoy it. No one cares if its pretty or not. Our beater got more looks at the shows and everywhere we took it than half the finished cars:D

Once you get it going and driving; you can start doing the smaller things you wanted. slap some new tires on it, put the skirts on it, and get some help fixing the rust. strip her down, prime and paint it. All these things can be done after its running and driving and besides the time to primer and paint it; you could still drive it in the process of stripping it down and doing the odds and ends stuff.

enjoy it and drive it and if you're health improves and if you can find some help...then you can always go back and fix 'er up even better than what you planned.

19. Is a car really ever "done". Enjoy it how you can, when you can.

20. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I promise I will try to get it up and going and I'll get back on here and tell everyone when I do. Thanks again.