Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Really? Got a link?

2. Hi Dave, Yep, I do have some problems as of last week. Stint in an artery now, but further surgery may possibly happen soon. Got me so scared right now..First tests Friday and final tests May 9. Thanks for your concern. It is very appreciated.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Just got this old ranchero out of the garage ... it had been hiding for about 5 years....

Attached Files:

4. BACK TO THE FUTURA

BACK TO THE FUTURA

here's mine, some don't like the wheels, but I do and thats all that matters LOL!!

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      103.6 KB
      Views:
  5. here's mine, Ive posted before, but I can easily say she looks a little different! new paint as of last week, tropical turquoise and jet black roof

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ps dont mind the panel fit, there not final fitted :s

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Geez Bob... I'm sorry to hear that! I didn't here it on the broadcast when I listened. I sat in the little room and waited for my dad to have angiplasti twice in the last decade or so and he said it wasn't as big a deal as he had thought it would be. I hope that helps a bit. But do take it easy and get better soon!

8. The angioplasty was simple stuff and they did that. I went in on Monday and did the show Tuesday.. I really haven't stopped going since. Just an over night delay. That's the tip of the iceberg and was only a temp repair for now so the Doc says. I'll find out soon, but til then I'm always on the go. Thanks again for your note...

9. Looks Fantastic!

10. warren1328

warren1328

Hey Fastfalcon, that color combo looks awesome!
    Just in the last days of some annual leave here, and have been busily getting my sedan delivery ready for the booth....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Door jambs etc done today, but have an offer too good to refuse from a pro painter to do the exterior for me.

11. Love those sedan deliveries! Yours will be very cool.

12. Muttley

Muttley

I found this article in an old Hot Rod and thought some of you might be interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Muttley,

That reminds me of Hatch and his square body:

-Dave

14. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

hi if you dont mind me asking what rims are on the front

15. I noticed the 1960 Falcon on the first post so I pulled out some pictures from 44 years ago. A short story of how we installed a 413 Chrysler engine in a 1960 Ford Falcon in 1967.
    I had just came home on leave from Vietnam and my buddies all came over to welcome me home. We talked for a while and one friend gave me his Chrysler New Yorker. It was complete, and in great shape. Another buddy new of a Falcon for sale for $30 with no engine and trany. So we talked about stuffing the 413 into the Falcon. We laughed about it and then decided " let's do it". We pulled the 413 engine and transmission along with the push button shifting mechanism, and cable. The Falcon arrives and we pull out all the upholstery, and insulation. I pull the front renders, bumper, grill and anything else I think will get in the way when stuffing the big 413 into the little Falcon.
    I cut out the floorboards, and part of the firewall.
    Before I installed the 413 I painted it yellow, and blue a color I used years later when I became a professional racer. I also changed the oil, and spark plugs.
    I slid the engine down into the Falcon, and it fit like a glove. On a 413 the starter is on the left side of the engine, and the solenoid hit the Falcon steering box. So I pulled the engine back out and removed only the solenoid. I fit the engine back in and shored it up where I wanted it to permanently sit. Because of the body construction I had to build a sub frame in the trany area. I designed it so that the sub frame sat on top of the inner part of the body inside of the drivers compartment. I made paper patterns for the engine mounts, and fabricated them out of flat stock welding them to whatever shape I came up with.
    Before I go any further I should put things into prospective. This was 1967, and the car, and engine where only 7 years old. No one made custom headers yet, and cheater slicks where hard to find. Gas was 25 cents a gallon, and in today's money everything is ten time as much.
    Having said that I got the engine set into the car and all the mounts where hard fixed, no rubber was used. I still had the starter problem to figure out. So I came up with the idea of using a mechanical cable to move the arm that the solenoid moved in the same way. I then took a battery cable and wired it into the starter. When I touched the other end of the cable against any place on the sub frame, it would ark and the starter would spin. The other mechanical cable was used to engage the starter gear into the flywheel. It was a simple procedure and would turn out working far easier than one would think. Once the engine was in we decided to change the rear end. At that time the strongest Ford rear end that we new of was from the 54 Ford station wagon. One of my buddies worked at his uncles junk yards and the next day he brings over a station wagon rear end with the 4:11 gears.
    I remove the Falcon rear end and cut off the spring pads, and do the same to the 4:11 rear end. I weld the Falcon pads onto the 4:11. The rear end goes up in place just like it was made for it.
    We install straight pipes and I made brackets for the radiator. I think I used the 413. I can't remember. I took the push button shifter, and welded an arm inside there somewhere. All I had to do is move the arm to shift gears.
    We put the fenders and trim back on the car and we painted it Omaha Orange, and black. Don't ask me why. Hay, it was 1967. The top was sprayed with that vinyl spay on shit that they had just came out with.
    The car was ready to go except for a drive shaft. Remember what time in history it was. If we took a drive shaft to a shop to have one built we wouldn't get it back for weeks. We built the car in ten day's, and I was only home on leave for 30 day's. So we took the Chrysler drive shaft and installed it in place accounting for back and forward movement. I marked it just forward about 2" from the rear end U joint. I then took a hack saw and cut the shaft in half. I then took the Ford station wagon shaft and cut it 12" forward of the back end. I placed the two shafts on the bench and measured the diameters inside and out. The Chrysler shaft was 1/8" larger than the Ford shaft when I placed the Ford inside the Chrysler. What's a guy to do! I looked around the shop and picked up a piece of 1/16" thick gasket paper. I wrapped the paper around the smaller Ford shaft and started to slip it into the Chrysler shaft. I then pulled it out and took the lager Chrysler shaft and drilled a series of 1/2" holes around the shaft where the smaller shaft would set. I then slid the smaller shaft with the paper on it into the larger shaft. I lined up the U jounts and tack welded it in place. I then removed the paper in all the 1/2" holes by scraping it out. Then I welded the holes up. that's called a Roset Weld. The shaft fit into place and we where ready to take our little racer out for a run.
    I went an got plates for the Falcon the next day. It was in New Hampshire, and at the time you had 10 days to get an inspection sticker. The cops wouldn't give you a ticket for ten days on a safety infraction. For instance you couldn't run without a hood for one. I also didn't have the transmission covered up. Ya, I know we where looking for trouble with that old cast iron toqueflight.
    We had ten day's and we drove the cops crazy. I was in a town on the boarder between New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. If we went across into Mass on the back roads we never got bothered, but once we made it back into New Hampshire the cops where on the look out. Our friends would be hanging out at the local A&W, and they could here us three to five miles away. They said it sounded like a set of trumpets with those straight pipes. About 11:00 till about 1:00 AM we would blast form neighborhood to neighborhood never running more than 75 MPH. We would come out of the hole for all it had. Then we would pull in somewhere and hide as the cops would patrol looking for us. If we where in high gear and not in the throttle the car was quiet.
    Well we ran the shit out of it for ten day's and it was almost time for me to go back to the Army. A buddy of mine from Massachusetts bought the car. I had $300 in it and a lot of fun building it. I sold it for $300. All my buddies drove the hell out of it. All these years later I always wondered why the front end didn't come out from under neath the dam thing. The car only had around thirty thousand miles on it.
    Back then people didn't keep a car but a few years and they didn't want them.
    Well I hope you enjoyed my story about back in the day. Some of you will remember when you where out there doing it. Others will not have a clue.

Attached Files:

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, what a wild contraption. I've often joked about stuffing my 440/727 into my Falcon, but never would have guessed an RB in a '60 had been done way back then.

Thanks for sharing that.

-Dave

17. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur

Yeah Babay!....SWEET CAR!

18. Kewl65

Kewl65

I posted an update on my build on page 72...here's a further update although its been terribly slow progress...its too cold in the shed :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Wow, you all are doing fantasy-tastic work on your Falcons.

QUESTION: I need the part number for my 3 speed tail shaft. I have a standard Ford 3-speed (277 or 2.77), non-syncro 1st & rev gears. The trans is out of a 1962 Ranchero. The original seal has no numbers, just the FoMoCo logo and C/R (Chicago Rawhide). The seal uses both a rubber inner skirt and an outer felt donut. The measurements of the seal are OD-2.254", ID-1.417" (felt donut is supse to be around 1.3"), Width-0.659", ID of tail shaft-2.239".

NOTE: I purchased a seal from Mac's (21C-7052) this seal's OD is too large and ID' does not seal agains the yoke.

I hope you Falcon-eers can lend a hand. This is one thing that I'm desperate to find.

[​IMG]

Gambler 1962 likes this.
  20. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

Love that color combo!!!!

21. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Klew, I dont recognize this body. Too me it resembles a round bodied Falcon Wagon we have here in the states, but there are some differences. Please let me know.

I think your doing a grand job of it. Your wagon is killer. Your motor I'd die for. I have purchased some headers for my 200ci Ford, and they are being custom made in Australia right now! Cant wait to have my first speed part from Down Under.

Lets all pitch in and buy Klew a hobo stove so that he can keep working on his wagon!!! ;p

22. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

23. falconeer

falconeer

Drop out<
    Now is a good time to replace your trans. with a 303,4 speed or even better yet aT-5 5 speed . Along with the 200 engine,its a great combo.

Butch Evans (Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

24. Kewl65

Kewl65

The_DropOut, its a 1965 Australian built Falcon. Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

Kewl

25. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Falconeer, Your right, there's no doubt about it. But I figure that a seal is a little less than a 303...I hope!! :O For now I'll be happy with my little 277 and see what it can do.

26. warren1328

warren1328

Wow, looks like it's painting season!
    In keeping with everyone else who's had some color recently, I had my XP sedan delivery painted today. Color is Kurrajong Green, which is a stock color for the Aussie Falcons (mostly utes & vans I think).
    Turned out pretty nice for a home-prepped effort. Funnily enough, the bits I was worried about turned out great, and a couple areas I thought were perfect......weren't quite :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Kurrajong green- very nice. I dig Falcon panel wagons.

The painter looks like your avatar.

28. gravelrash

gravelrash
    from Dalby

my 65 XP falcon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

^^^ pure awesome ^^^ :cool: