Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Redondo Beach Drifters Car Club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chattyts, Jun 3, 2009.

1. chattyts

chattyts

Sorry it won't let me upload the photo's the file is too big. I will see if my husband can convert it for me. I can however forward the email with the photo's so you can email me at [email protected] Thanks Tina

2. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here you go .....

And BTW, the name is Junge, not Jungle. We got the "L" out of there a long time ago!

Attached Files:

3. chattyts

chattyts

Jim thanks for posting those and sorry about getting your last name wrong. Tina

4. I don't have anything to add but thanks so much for the history and great vintage photos.

Gotta love the HAMB

5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

It's not Jim, it's BILL!!! :D

Or, you can call me Bullet Nose.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember attending one of the Drifters club meetings back in 1956 when I lived in Torrance, the most outstanding thing I remember was all the holes of every size they had drilled in that coupe to make it light as possible, they were a great bunch of guys back then,------don

7. chattyts

chattyts

8. chattyts

chattyts

I don't know where my head it at. I know it is Bill. I think I was looking at something else while posting on this site at the same time. Sorry :)

9. chattyts

chattyts

Sorry, I thought I did post it. I must have emailed it to someone. I believe my mom said this was at a gargage behind my dad's house off Bonita. I am still trying to get my sister to find all her old photo's. I will try calling my neice to look through some boxes.

10. Bullet Nose, Bill I think, I wanted to let you know the Magoo's Car Club are still flying our plaques. I have an old style plaques, the one Hermosa Beach. The rest of the members are flying a new style plaque. I was also a member in 1969. I hope you received my previous message.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, really cool club history. I love the cars that they campaigned.

This things needs to go on the grille shell thread!
    [​IMG]

12. ErnieM

ErnieM

Tina: I am pretty sure I have Bills old 40 ford coupe. It is in West Chester, Pa. I found a picture of him and the car on line and it is still the same color and looks the same. I have traced its history back to Salt Lake City and then California but I lost the trail until now. ErnieM

13. chattyts

chattyts

Hello ErnieM
    Wow that is so great. Can you post a photo of the car now. You can also email me at [email protected] I would love to hear how you got it and the tracing of it. Thanks Tina

14. ErnieM

ErnieM

If you go into "Customrama" There is an article with pictures of the Drifters from Rodondo Beach

15. chattyts

chattyts

what is "customrama" do you have the link for the site? Thanks Tina

16. chattyts

chattyts

I found it, it was actually under kustomrama. Someone must have set that up from the photo's I posted on this discussion board. That is pretty cool.

17. Yes ... Kustomrama logo.png is Norwegian HAMBer SuperFleye's Wiki website ... he "borrows" lots of stuff from HAMB threads ... he typically gives credit to the source of the info and/or images he posts ... you'll note that he lists this thread as one of the sources for the Drifters Wiki article.

18. chattyts

chattyts

Yes, it is a pretty cool site.

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

How great is this?

Lions Drag Strip - 1958

I found this on another HAMB post. Pay attention at about the 2:55 mark. Gave me goose bumps when I saw it.

Bill

20. chattyts

chattyts

Wow, that is so great. I love it. Now I will be checking out more of the YouTube videos for other footage.
    Thanks for sharing. Tina

21. sci335

sci335
    from So Cal

Remembering Gene Wood 03/15/1930 - 01/26/2010

Another loss to the community. We are sad to announce the passing of Gene Wood from Paso Robles, CA on January 26, 2010. Memorial in the the Los Angeles area; to be announced. Please contact Donna (daughter) at 404-992-3633 or Teri (grandaughter) at 310-594-1194.

22. Pay attention at about the 7:39 & 8:03 marks :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  23. I found my father's old slides from the 1958 NHRA Nationals in OK City ... including this pic of the Drifters Auto Club #231 entry still on the trailer:

1958 NHRA Nats - 5.jpg
    NO. 231
    ENTRY Drifters Auto Club
    DRIVER Hozie Gomez
    CITY Redondo Beach, Calif.
    CAR '35 Ford
    ENGINE '54 Dodge

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome photo! Is 231 the same car as the 23 jr?

25. chattyts

chattyts

Too cool. Love the new photo of car 231.

26. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

27. Great pics and history. I have a sweet old SDTA shirt like that one.

28. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Hi...The Millwinder plate shown in the picture in Post #24 is mine and I furnished a picture to the Car Club plate forum.

Nes Synadinos.. Millwinders

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  29. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Hi... I believe the pictures in Posts 55 & 56 are from a road trip to Bakersfield around 1953-54. It was a convoy and on the way we were in Emil Wurn's truck towing our Millwinders 96 coupe. The Drifters car 23jr was in front of us being towed on a trailer. All of a sudden the trailer towing 23jr started going all over the road, back and forth, up and down and actually up on one wheel at times. I don't know how they ever stopped without any damage. Scarry.

Some of the pictures on this and and the next thread number were at a 40's type motel before we went to the strip the next day. At the Drag strip in the morning, I took off down the strip on a carburation run and the clutch blew up. That was it for 96, we didn't have another assembly. The Drifters made a run and blew their rear end out.

Wurn and I talked to them and we all decided to put our rear end into the Drifters car. That is what a lot of those pictures are about where everyone is gathered at the back of both cars working. It only took about 40 minutes to make the change.The Drifters car won the Class prize [war bond] and we split the proceeds.
    Nes Synadinos... Millwinders

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Finn Jensen likes this.