Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Ford Sunliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Curnane, May 8, 2011.

1. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

Hi Guys Jim here any ford specialst out there? glad I found your forum looks like I can have some questions answered here on a car I just bought to restore for my wife. Its a 1959 Galaxy/Fairlane Sunliner . i beleive its a 352 2v . I also think its in it origanal state or lets find out. This is cool when you find them like this . I live in Connecticut and this car was a mid west car Idaho/Utah . I picked it up at a swap meet last week. There is not a pinch of rust on this car un heard of for us here. And it runs like a top. Its going to be all mechanical/ cosmetic restoration
    walk in the park for me this time. By what I can tell this first year shared 2 names I have a friend saying the fairlane script on the trunk does not belong I think it does. And the paint is a little diffrent then what I have seen the 2 tone is a little diffrent the doors are 1 solid color the top of the fenders and the hood are white and the trunk lid is white with yellow on the bottom most i have seen pictures of are one color on top and one on the bottom ? Also where can I find engine codes on the block? Trying to find out if this is the 300 horse t bird special. ?

Attached Files:

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My '59 Retractable had the "Fairlane" srcipt on the trunk, and "Galaxie" on the quarters, just as yours does. Nice score. Looks like a factory two tone to me from the back, how about some more pics?

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It looks like Henry made it with the Fairlane script.

4. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

Thanks that was fast. I have more pictures on my phone I ham having a hard time getting them off this phone has problems. Promise Ill have more up soon . Great to be on this site Thanks oops didnt mean to post the last one :)

Attached Files:

5. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Galaxie on the quarters and Fairlane on the trunk is correct. The top of the doors should be white. If the car is original then you do not have the Thunderbird engine if it is a 2 barrel. The first letter in your serial number gives the original engine:
    C = 292 (Y block) 2V
    B = 332 (FE block) 2V
    H = 352 (FE block) 4V "Thunderbird Special"

6. Deuces

Deuces

That ain't fish food... It's more like shark bait! :):D

7. Ole don

Ole don

Fairlane was the car line from Ford, Galaxie was the trim level.

8. one37tudor

one37tudor

There is also a fairly active group on the "Galaxie" part of the "Ford Muscle" board.

9. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

Looks like its a 332 FE 2 V THE VIN STARTS WITH A B How much hp did this puppy have ????

10. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rated at 225

11. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

Thank You you wouldnt happen to know where I can find the color codes ? My data plate on the door says y which I assume is yellow . Just wanted to know what the other color options were /

12. Here is my 74K mile un molested 1 owner factory Yellow and white Galaxie/Faiirlane. It is a 4 bbl 352 300 horse power and in the factory brocure that came with the car the motor is called a Police Interceptor, not a T-Bird special. Your going to build a Hate/Love relationship as you learn 59 is 1 year only on a lot of stuff that is not out there or at the least very difficult to find. If you pull all the trim to do a re-paint as you should, save every clip you can. They are 59 only. The few crossover clips in Carpenter really don't get it.
    I've done several 57-58 Fords also so I have a little experiance with the after market stuff and all the "Stuff" that don't work as it should. Also sent a photo of my current 57 project.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

13. You might want to check your paint code again. According to my chart there is no Y paint code and the code for Yellow is a Q.
    The Wizzard

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The paint code should be in the shop manual. Mine was for my 56. I've always had a hard time getting paints to match unless it was a modern color. Getting it custom mixed at a local paint store just never has worked for me.

I was very pleased with the color match on my 56. I got it from this place. I ordered the BCCC and it's a dead nuts match on the cowl section that was under the fender all these years. They have the paint chip charts that you can use that include the letter code for your year. I was expecting close but not quite right but it's on the money.

I am so pleased. I had a local painter try to get me some and it was not even close.

15. Dang, did I give some wrong info. I was in the 59 Edsel chart instead of Ford. Yes there is a Y code. The name for that Yellow is Inca Gold and if it's correct White and Yellow it should be EY for Colonial White and Inca Gold. Sorry about that.

16. jkherd

jkherd

Great find. Nice to know it is being saved.

17. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

Thank You Sir nice cars I like the black one .

18. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

19. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It gets confusing when Ford calls the same engine by two different names, I always assumed the 352 was called "Police Interceptor" in law enforcement and emergency vehicle applications and "Thunderbird Special" for the civilians. Turns out at least at some point the 332 was also called the "Thunderbird Special" so maybe mid-year they had to make the 352 sound even more special?
    Ooh, for the days when the general public had respect and awe for something big under the hood . . .

Factory 2 tones had 2 letters in the color code, the first being the lower body color so if you only have a Y it was originally solid inca gold, maybe that explains the solid color doors? While the color configuration on the rest of the car is correct, to be original the code should read YE. And for what it is worth the Patent Plate should be on the door post, not the door.

In any case, nice car! I always liked the 57-59 Sunliners better than the Skyliners.

Attached Files:

20. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

thankyou you have been a big help . I need a power sterring pump any idea where to get one ? i have one from a 63 Marauder 390 I have to see if that will fit

21. rld14

rld14

Neat car! I think they made about 3 of those for every retractable that they built but you see a lot more retractables than sunliners today.

Ford brought out the Galaxie name midway through '59 as an upscale Fairlane, so your car is a later build '59.

22. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can not tell you if your Merc pump will work. You should be able to get a pump from most of the vintage Ford parts stores that handle 59 Fords, Mack's Auto Parts, for one, lists them.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Like a excited soccer announcer---SCORE---SCORE---SCORE!! Man those Sunliners rule. I love them 59's, my rig, Good Luck ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

24. Jim Curnane

Jim Curnane
    from Orange ,CT

1959 Ford Galaxy/Fairlane/Sunliner I know this car is supposed to have a 332 according to the vin that starts with a B i found these cating numbers on the block underneath on the passengers side

B9AE8015B

9M291

6M30:4

Just trying to figure out if this is the origanal motor I think it is because of the B9 can anyone help me decode this Thanks

25. Easiest way to tell 332 from 352 for sure is to lift a valve cover. All 332's were solid lifter adjustable rocker arm motors. 352 were all Hyd lifter motors and non adjustable rocker arms. The 332 blocks were did not have oil passage drilled for Hyd lifter.
    The Wizzard

26. 58ClubVictoria

58ClubVictoria

Hi. I have a '58 Sunliner. Great cars! Your motor is a 332. It was offered in 58 as well with 2bbl or 4bbl versions. It was then listed as a "G". But in '59 it was listed as a "B". You can get a list off the net by typing in "data plate '59 ford". Hope you enjoy your new toy.

27. 34dor

34dor
    from Australia

Hi, I have a '59 Galaxie Sunliner and am after the rear trim stick for the convertible top. Anyone out there have one? I have the 2 side ones. Also, can anyone tell me if a '57 drag link and tie rods are the same as '59? Thanks.

28. toucan

toucan
    from sc

any update on the sunliner?

29. thebrisbanebennetts

thebrisbanebennetts
    from Australia

On the back of your Ford you have a script “Bennetts” Salt Lake City. Are you planing on keeping this?
    Tim.