Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. the shadow

the shadow

more:

Attached Files:

2. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Illustrated Speedway News photos

Attached Files:

3. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

This.

Attached Files:

4. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Another beautiful restoration by Joe Fiore aka Wynn's #1 here on the HAMB. This one is the Bignotti/Sweikert Kurtis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Surfref32

Surfref32

Very cool, thanks for posting!

CTtoPA, That is an absolutely beautiful race car. I guess it's wrong and I apologize but when I look at that machine, all I can think of is taking it out on a nice clay track, getting it all muddy and racing the hell out of it! In the lead, throttle pegged, engine roaring, front wheels turned to the right, left front in the air in a perfect broad-slide and throwing mud with two matching rooster tails. If I had the means to own such a car, that's exactly what I'd do!

6. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I'm sure it spent more time dirty than clean in 1948-it raced over 100 times that year!

7. TommyA19

TommyA19

Sure looks like a midget to me the Sacks # 18 with Sachs in the seat.

8. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Midget? :confused:

Attached Files:

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

More Ochtrup photos...

John Yonke Jr. in his V8-60 and on the track in his #2.

The #02 is Don Patton

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. scarylarry

scarylarry

Do a separate post on this. This one has turned into a "who drove what & when" deal. I'd be interested in the responses.

11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

While rumaging thru the attic over the weekend I came across a bunch of boxes with my old magazines,race programs and cataloges and came across this press kit for ARDC from 1974......Rich

Attached Files:

• 268.jpg
      268.jpg
      File size:
      477.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Maybe off subject, maybe not. Anyone have a hub puller for a Halibrand tapered midget rear end for sale? 2 1/8 threads.

Hints on pulling the hubs? Tried pulley style puller - no luck.

Blacki-Suede

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Blacki-Suede, 'Certainly not off-topic at all, I started out trying to use gear pullers, etc., until I personally found that putting the whole axle and hub in a press, putting tension on it and then applying some heat (torch) on it. But I've had some bad ones, don't worry. Hubs that were actually seized onto the axle and eventually, losing the hub. Of course, it goes without saying, if you apply plenty of anti-seize compound, a guy probably won't have any trouble the next time!

14. Buildy

Buildy

Moe,

Yes that is a midget. Looks a lot like Tony Bettenhausen to me,but someone will correct me if wrong, now that I have gone out on a limb-LOL

15. TommyA19

TommyA19

Doesn't look like Bettenhausen to me.

16. Buildy

Buildy

17. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Freeport Stadium NY. 1947 ARA drivers

"Photo courtesy of TommyA19"

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  18. TommyA19

TommyA19

Very hard for me to name any of them, but I think the one in the back row, 2nd from the right, might be Andy Furci. As for the rest - really have no idea.

19. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Thanks to many of you for all of the help. Finally used a standarrd, three jawed puller and a rose bud torch, the hub shot right off - literally. Hub, puller and all, shot right past the hub bolt and off the table and on to the floor (bent a drive pin). We had been warned not to stand behind the hub! On other hub we used the hub bolt and the big washer, came loose the same as the other, but only moved a slight distance.

Now, I assume the bearing carriers are pressed on to the hubs? Right? Plan to press them off tomorrow. Anyone have any extra drive pins or know where to get them? Need at least one long one.

Blacki-Suede

20. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Is that Nazaruk in the back fourth from the right with his arms crossed?

21. nema19

nema19

I believe that is Oscar Ridlon at Tiverton R.I>

22. TommyA19

TommyA19

Upon a closer look, might that be ARA drivers not ARDC? In 1947, Furci was the Freeport ARA champion while Tappett was the 1947 Freeport ARDC champion. I do not see Tappett in this photo, and as I said, it sure looks like Furci over on the right. A few other ARA drivers in 1947 were Buster Williams and Tony Martino - both track champions w/ARA.

23. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Well I guess that's why the upper left says "ara drivers"

24. TommyA19

TommyA19

Yup, but it could be taken as a messed up ARDC, too - maybe?

25. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I know nothing about the ARA. I'm assuming these guys crossed over all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of ARDC guys in the mix.

26. Hey guys, just wanted to drop an invitation to all vintage midget fans to come to the Winchester Old Timers at the world famous Winchester Speedway in Indiana. August 20-21. Two days of on track time for the vintage race cars. Static display both days for cars not wanting track laps. Saturday night casual bench racing session at the Randolph Grill after track time Saturday.
    Questions,...check out www.winchesterot.com or send me a pm here.

HG :cool:

27. Here's a photo from last years Winchester Old Timers 2010.

[​IMG]

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

How nice it would be if this event and the EMMR were on consecutive weekends, not on the same weekend, so a person could dovetail a trip East and participate in both.

Am I idealistic in thinking organizers/promoters could do this for the major Vintage Events and enhance their respective car counts?

29. Buildy

Buildy

I never knew 68 Trevis-the #8 Sprinter made it out to Winchester Did he take track time? I never recall seeing photos of him on the track.

28 Dreyer, The EMMR has always run their event for many years that weekend in August. I don`t see them changing the date for that one.

30. We don't get to pick the dates for the WOT. We run in conjunction with a real racing event so we don't have to ask the car owners for any fees to run. We even give them 2 day pit passes for the racing event. The racing schedule dictates when we have it. I would go to the EMMR show if it wasn't for that. NO WAY we would schedule against the EMMR meet on purpose. We looked at having a stand alone vintage meet at Winchester. It was just plain cost prohibitive. The insurance is very expensive, paying for fire crews, ambulance, grounds crews, etc,etc....I caught a lot of grief one year when the date was the same weekend of the Jungle Park Reunion. That was the date that was on the USAC schedule that year. That's just the way it worked out.