Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nickel plating picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm thinking about having the bumpers and grill and misc parts of my '56 Chevy pickup nickel plated instead of going chrome...I've always liked the tone and warmth.

Here's one pick, hoping you guys have more because I'm having a hard time finding good ones on a hot rod application.

[​IMG]

2. 117harv

117harv

Yes, i would also like to see more.

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Nickel anyone?

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i have some split bones in bare metal that i thought would look good chromed but new chrome is just so bright. i also like the warmth of chrome that has mellowed a bit. is nickle any cheaper?

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

I would think, or at least hope, that nickel was cheaper. As far as I always thought, chromium was the expensive part of the equation (aside from prep). If I could get nickel only for 1/3 or 1/2 less I'd be pretty stoked.

6. john walker

john walker

the money is in the prep. copper, nickel, not much left to dip it in the chrome tank for a few minutes. nickel looks great, but it dulls, so it needs elbow grease.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm thinking of nickel-plating the Deuce shell for my '31 project.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Anyone have hard numbers on the difference in cost from chrome?

9. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I would think the price would about the same. All the steps for chrome are the same. Just as much work.

10. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

There really isn't much difference in the amount of work it takes. All parts that are chromed are nickel plated for about 45 min. immediatly before the 2 min. chrome plate. I don't usually take any $ off for nickel-only, but may be able to knock off some. Nothing close to 2/3 off though.

Before the late 20's, brightwork on cars was nickel-only because chrome plating hadn't been perfected yet. I like the look of nickel too, and it doesn't take much work to keep it shiny, although it will tarnish with neglect. The nice part is you will not buff through nickel like you can with chrome, because the nickel is much thicker than chrome.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

Josh, maybe you could PM me a price on one front and one rear bumper, a plated grill, and a set of headlight rings for my '56 Chevy pickup. I could use stainless bumper bolts but maybe also quote me the bolts as well. Thanks bro...

BTW: They're all straight with minor surface rust in a couple spots. I could sand them down, but I imagine you need to strip the old chrome off anyway...let me know.

12. How about a few photos of nickel finished parts? I'm thinking of doing my windshield frame and stantions...

13. I had ALL the bolts done in nickle for my Pop's C-10 eng compartment and surrounding areas.At $2 bucks a pop VS $8 for chrome,X about 75 or so,It was a hands down. These were the factory bolts,some with serated shoulders on them,some with a floating washer. Been 5yrs now,and still look new today. Nickle is something to concider......:rolleyes:

14. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

Nickel is sometimes used on guitars in place of chrome. My bumpers were painted over with dull silver Rustoleum. I was sanding them on rust spots and I got down to copper in places. Has anyone ever poly coated bare metal? I may just touch up the Rustoleum until I can spring for plating.

15. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

all of the non-stainless brightwork on my car is Nickel, the headlights stands, spreader bars, shock mounts,perch pins, windscreen frame..the cost isnt much less, and about twice a year you have to polish it up again, but the warmth of the finish is worth it. Gives more of a vintage vibe to the whole car. be very certain you specify 'nickel over copper' as nickel alone is used as an industrial finish quite often, and it doesnt hold up or polish as nicely as when done over copper.

16. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

It sounds like you are thinking of dull nickel vs bright nickel. The shine has nothing to do with whether it has copper under it or not. Duplex nickel is a common bumper plating standard, where dull nickel goes on the bare steel, then the bright nickel, then the chromium.

But yes, dull nickel will not brighten up as nice as bright nickel.

I have plated bright nickel directly over steel many times with no ill effects. The only issue that may arise is if the plating was applied too thin. But that can be an issue with any plating. Copper plating doesn't provide the durabilty of a part nearly as much as the nickel/chrome does. Copper plating is a valuable tool for the plater more than anything else.

17. hightower611

hightower611

I asked a local chrome shop for nickel plating cost to chrome plating cost and they said that it would be the same. I assume like others in this thread have said before me that it is all in the prep and the dipping is only a small part of the process.
    I believe that Ritzows 32 done by Rides by Troy Has has all items nickel plated and clear powder coated after to prevent the dulling.

18. 117harv

117harv