Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 389 Pontiac in a 1950 Pontiac.??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, May 7, 2011.

1. hey guys. I am building a 50 Pontiac, 2dr, fleetline. have a nice 327 for it, which is what I alway do...like all other sheep...lol... but this is my last build and I want a kool, kustom. I do have 12, 94 carbs, sitting waiting, for a 6-2 maniflold.. I see lots of 389, 6-2 setups and thought, maybe a Pontiac in a Pontiac..??? what motor should I look for and WHY.... this is not a big dollar car.. I do not want to spend thousands on a crazy build.!!! so, just a good running Pontiac motor, with 6 carbs, for the LOOK...maybe another size Pontiac motor.? don't want a Firebird, want older... thanks

2. The pontiac engines were all the same size from 326-455 they only difference was that in 66-67 the changed the deck hight and intake to head angle like chevy did with the vortec engines. Any pontiac engine from 76 and down would look great in there Loyd.

3. oh, Roy......thriftmaster..?? should be cheapskate..Ha Ha lol :rolleyes:

4. but a 389 manifold won't fit a 455 ??? or do you mean they are all the same like 283-400 sbc.?

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Go for the 389 "Poncho" motor...That critter is as bullet proof as they come. I owned a 61 Bonneville Tri-Power, as well as a 65 "Goat" tri-Power...I never dis hurt either of them !!! 4TTRUK

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I would use anything from 55-60, they are physically the SAME size, but change in cubic inches and torque. PERSONALLY, I'd go with a 59-60 389, because they're a great engine and easy to install in earlier cars.

My brother ScooterMcRad will be installing one in his 52/3??? No Pontiac is Chevrolet cheap, but they aren't Hemi expensive either. Just don't go GTO crazy and you won't be disappointed in the money you spend.

7. just found a 403 ? 77 Fire chicken..

8. thanks guys, so far...Brandy, I have found a 1960, 389 near me, for $700. stored indoors for 10 years.. good.?? what auto or std. can I use.? thanks again

9. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I think the 403 is actually an olds motor...no bueno

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Too bad you're not building a 50 Olds, because you'd have an engine for it with that 403 Olds. ;)

Brian

11. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You can buy adapters for modern manuals, Scooter would know better. I backed my 60 389 up to my 55 slant pan hydro......I don't know how long that will last.:D

Stored indoors is great, but why? Has it been rebuilt? Does it need a rebuild? I would NEVER pay $700 for a builder, considering I gave a couple hundred for mine and gave Scooter his for NADA.

What condition and why was it stored is what you need to know. They are bullet proof tho.

12. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

This is mine I rebuilt.

[​IMG]

13. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

The blocks for 55 to 79 were all the same deck height (except the 265 and 301 short deck blocks). They changed the valve angle in the head design starting 67. The biggest problem with early blocks, 55-60, is the bellhousing bolt patterns changed '61 and again in '65. If you are going to use a modern post '65 transmission then you would be better of with a '65 and later engine. You can buy adaptors to match early blocks to late transmissions but they are anyhere from $500 to $700. I'm building a turbocharged '60 389 block right now and made my own adaptor out of an AllPontiac rear engine plate. Another problem with 55-58 blocks is no side engine mounts. They used a 55 chevy type front mount under the timing cover. Depending on what you are going for in an engine (most power or a nice strong street motor) I would look around for late model big full sized Pontiac. 71 to 76 Bonneville, Gran Ville etc for a 455. Nice thing on these year blocks is they have a double set of motor mount holes (one for the older style and one for later Firebirds) and just gives you options when you are making your own side mounts/frame mounts etc. Any year 455 gives you a really nice low rpm motor that with normal care will last very long but give you great low rpm grunt for heavier cars. And you can ususally gear them lower for better MPG. They will not rip your head off in stock form. But can be easily increased in power with some regular old school hot rodding. If you have any more questions throw them out here and I'll try to answer. Mark L

14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I would go 1969-76 400. Bolt up to modern bellhousings, use block mounted starters, 5 hole engine mounts on most of them, use 11 bolt water pumps and full crank dampers.

15. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

ack. lost the mark drag...

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Go with 64 up Pontiac V8. They have BOP pattern, which will adapt to tH2004r, 350, 400 with no adapters. If you go with a 64 engine make sure that the block has the block starter bolt holes. Some, I believe do not.

17. buds56

buds56

IMO

You can also go with a 55-60 engine with the front mount that should be close to your original straight 8 or 6 and a 55-57 bell housing with side mounts should mate to your original trans (assuming a 5 bolt top 3 speed).
    try to get the exhaust manifolds with the engine,55-58 the driver side manifold dumps in front of the steering box which will make your exhaust easier.
    While not exactly a bolt in this is the easiest way to V8 an early pontiac.
    I'm also assuming yours is an American pont, if Canadian with chevy frame get a 64 up with the trans and weld some mounts

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

61 and up has the same BOP pattern just not the engine starter mount. Butler performance sells the plate to mount a starter to or you can build your own. 250 opposed to the 6-700 for the Wilcap or Bentsen adapters. This only applies to 61-63 without a block mount starter.

If your looking for cheap Pontiac though, maybe try to find a 326 or 350..

Here's the blueprint for the adapter if you happen to find a 61-63 engine and want to use a newer trans...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  19. jangleguy

jangleguy

They're all simple installs. Personally, I'm just glad you're putting a Pontiac in it. I've always wanted to do a '49/'50 fastback with a 400 or 455 and a TH400 in a T/A subframe. Maybe some day...

Brandy: You've come a long way. I'm so damn proud of you!

20. badlefihand

badlefihand

Stick with the 64 and later.Your 50 probley has plenty of room for the 389 but keep in mind it is a fairly large engine and room for steering and headers is minimal. You are likely going to have to cut x frame for modern trans and move the engine towards pass side about 3/4". Yours may have had straight eight in and would have room from firewall to rad but on fords it is tight when fire wall is not cut. here is pic of 1960 389 in my 47 ford.Low end torque has been a pontiac plus. Get Jim Hands book on pontiac engines ,it is a good guide for pontiac engines.$700.00 seems high unless heads are done. One other thing if you go with the indian,only have machine shop that knows about pontiac engine do work for you. It is a little diff animal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  21. I like the look of the 6x2, but tripowers for 65 and newer are just as cool!

And if you are looking for a real monster, I got a 462 cid 535 hp Pontiac Im pulling out of my GTO to go back to original Id sell ya.....

22. thanks for all your help... I have only run Chevy all my life, so Pontiac is all new to me.. really appreciate your help..RR, aka, Lloyd :D

23. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

389 tri-power or multi carbs that you have mentioned all the way !!!
    Way cool....
    I love 327's but in that car go 389!!!
    Cheers........

25. errick

errick
    from Detroit

'50 Streamliner with dual quad, 30 over Poncho 455/RA III heads and TH400. Glad to help if you guys have any questions. http://youtu.be/p7QPxHhhmDQ

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an Olds engine. Most likely has the oil filter tube standing up just to the passenger side of the water neck.

What you want will be in a pre 76 Big Pontiac or smaller one before they started using "Corporate" engines. A 389 shouldn't be hard to find and a 400 should be easy to find. Make sure you put a metal timing gear on the cam as plastic ones crap out between 60 and 70K.

27. A 389 or 400 will be the best build on a budget, the 400 is a tad cheaper but if you sonic check the bores a 389 taken out .055 can run stock diameter 400 pistons. Rest of it is the same, the bearings and so on. Most aftermarket pistons have reliefs for either valve angle. They're also relatively easy to find and were sold in cars as late as '79 (rare), I have a '77 400 sitting here I bought as a pulled runner for $200 with the TH350 trans.

28. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

1973 400 in my 50 pontiac , mine is on a 77 T/A subframe btw
    [​IMG]
    hit me up if u want more pics

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011