Register now to get rid of these ads!

seatbelt ques

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, May 7, 2011.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

so this will be my first classic vehicle. Living in NYC area cops are anal on seat belts. With my truck only having lap belts, should I foresee getting pulled over alot? thoughts?

2. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

I think you answered your own question. If they are anal about seatbelts, and obviously can't see lapbelts until you are pulled over, you might get into grief over it.

In MD I do not think they are allowed to pull over JUST for seatbelts. I could be wrong.

With your lapbelts if you get pulled over they'll see you are wearing a seatbelt, but it also might give them more of an excuse to pull you over. I'm not sure. It depends on your state laws.

3. in ct. seat belts are not required on pre '66 cars but that said i had to talk myself out of a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in my '39 gmc. cop said if they were in the vehicle they had to be worn. i argued that i could just unbolt them and take them out. [i should have been wearing them] he let me go, and i wear them all the time now.

4. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Seat belts were not required in 1964 and older vehicles in New York. The only problem is that some of the new guys writing the tickets may have been born in 1990 ! (Does this make anybody feel old ?) They may not realize that seat belts were not required in front until 1965 & 1967 for the rear passengers.
    NYS VTL 383a & 383b - You may have to explain this, politely, so as not to draw some attention to anything else !

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Never mind the legality. Sit in your truck and look at the things your head may smash into if you run into something. There is plenty of good metal in these old cars to attach your upper connection for a 3 point system.

I'm building a '36 Ford roadster with a Duval on it. When I first sat in it I realized that the Duval would take the top of my head off if I hit something. For that reason, I am putting shoulder belts in it. I found and bought an old 3 inch set off of Ebay. They may be overkill and I take a lot of ribbing about my flathead powered car not being that much of a horsepower monster to warrant this sort of set up but the Duval and the banjo steering wheel that my dad told me long ago adorned the chests of wreck victims rule this decision.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

My '72 F100 came with lapbelts only,...still get stopped now and then.

4TTRUK

7. jroberts

jroberts

If your state says you do not have to have belts in a pre-19?? vehicle and still law enforcement stops you, or even worse tickets you, for not having them, it might be a good idea to carry along a copy of the law that states this. Of course even better yet might be to actually have and use the belts (my opinion). I carry a copy of the law that says I can run a YOM license tag and the one that says my vehicles are exempt from going through the annual safety/emissions inspections. There is always somebody who is not aware of such laws.

8. They don't bother you much here unless it is a common traffic stop but they will if they want to know what you are up to. I haven't been in New York in a long time but if they are all over it for the cash I would expect that you may have a problem with it.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The law will be different form state to state. Generally, cars made before a certain date will not be required to have belts. Sometimes a lap belt is required. I am not aware of anyplace that requires retrofitting with a shoulder belt.

There are old cars which have no suitable attachment point for a shoulder belt, but those cars are legal to drive.

I have been told that replacing DOT approved belts with a higher quality race harness can get you a ticket some places.:confused: It's also interesting that in some places where motorcycle riders are required to wear a helmet, it is illegal for the driver of a car to wear one.:confused:

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

As stated all states have different laws. In most states you do not have to have a seatbelt if your car did not originally come with one.

11. I am waiting for the "SEAT BELTS KILL" guys to chime in! Personally, my next move with my Desoto is to install some lap belts I have. Not as good as shoulder belts, but better than nothing! (I also have two small boys in car seats that will need seatbelts to mount them.)

If I get pulled over, I plan on telling the officer that lap belts were OEM.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

This is all you need to know,police know the rules.If you want seat belt then install them.

13. junkmonger

junkmonger

It probably depends on how you drive more than anything else. If you drive like an asshole, they'll use it as an excuse to stop you, and look carefully at everything else. I lived and worked in Brooklyn and Staten Island and Manhattan for 5 years. Ask me how I know.

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If you have lap belts and use them, and get stopped, keep your hands in sight til the officer comes to the window and can see you have it on. I think keeping your hands where they can see them gives them some peace of mind anyway and is a good idea unless you have something to hide.

15. Swifster

Swifster

Vehicles built before January 1, 1965 are typically exempt of a state's seat belt law. Print a copy of your state's written law and keep it in the glove box.

16. 41 C28

41 C28

If you want to get bounced around lke a pea in a whisle or get bounced out of your first classic vehicle I wouldn't worry about seat belts. Been there done that.

17. most places say if the vehicle did not come with belts you do not have to wear them, however if you install belts then you must wear them. i have belts in my truck. the wifes rambler originally only had belts in the front and i put belts in the back for the kids. wear them or leave them out its pretty simple

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Down here if a car came with seat belts and its original you don't have to worry about them, however if modified they are mandatory. Closed cars (pickups, coupes, sedans) require lap sash belts and open cars (roadsters and phaetons) require only lap belts. However if too hard to install, i.e upper mount is forward of driver you can get away with laps. For peace of mind and safety I'm putting lap sash belts in all outboard positions in my 46 sedanette despite costing a $$$.

19. sololobo

sololobo

36tbird, disgusting sensability!! Just kidding, 3-point belts rule, have lap belts in my old Ranchwagon and am glad to have em. Belts aint just for them baggy ass jeans, wait, they don't know what a belt is, probably think it is a smack up along side the head. Put em in and buckle your ass up. Saftey pays. This shop has not had an industrial accident for 593 days!! ~sololobo~

20. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Barney Fife may not know, so this is probably the best piece of advice so far. Carry copies of the law and politely educate him/her if they ask you about it.

21. tjm73

tjm73

You don't need them. As stated carry a copy of the law that says what your equipment requirements are (all of them). Make sure you are up to speed on all of them and polity challenge the officer, if you feel comfortable i doing so, when he tells you why he stopped you for the ticket.

Personally, I'd just take the ticket and mail my not-guilty plea and the reason why along with a copy of NYS V&T law to the court and it will go away. The law is quite clear. If you make the cop feel dumb on the side of the road he might start looking for other violations to write you up for. Take the one ticket and leave. Deal with it later.

Save the big F'u for the court.