Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to avoid having images in posts become unavailable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, May 6, 2011.

1. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

OK- so I keep seeing "Image unavailable-bandwidth exceeded" type messages in the more popular threads.

They look like or are similiar to this:
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd help folks out by pointing to an image hosting service that's:

1- Free (who doesn't like that)
    2- NOT gonna crap out when a few of us start trying to view the photos on it because it doesn't have any cap on views or bandwidth.

Here's the link to the site: http://imgur.com/

I have no affiliation with the site, other than having used it in the past to share images of my project here, and elsewhere. The site is fairly easy to navigate/use. You don't have to sign in/register to use it-you can just click "computer" or "web" and the site will walk you through setting up the images for sharing. "Computer" means you want to share an image that you have saved on your computer-click on it to load something from your own computer. "Web" is so you can share an image from a website-most of the folks on here probably won't have a use for that particular feature...

I think it will help improve the quality of this already awesome site if we all use an image service that doesn't block HAMBers from trying to view the images we're all trying to share.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

How do you know that picture site isn't going to croak in about a year orso?

Still the best way to make sure pics never get lost is to use the forum's attachment-function and upload them to this site. ;)

3. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Good point, and sorry I didn't notice your reply earlier.

This site doesn't allow as large of file as the hosting service I mentioned does. Also, it costs Ryan a lot more (most likely) to host our images compared to allowing a 3rd party handle the hosting (and have to pay for the storage space/bandwidth).

There are many options out there, I just wanted to post an alternative to photobucket, since it's the most common I've seen on here, and it really stinks to see an image gone (especially on a "how to" type post).

Only guarantee I can give that imgur is around for good is that it's rather popular with a website that is in the top 50 sites for web traffic, and with that kind of support behind it, it should have some staying power (that and I've personally had images on it for well over a year without issues).

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Yah, and then you have to click on EVERY FRIGGIN' PICTURE to expand the view. Takes forever...