Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells Sheetmetal, How was your experience? UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopsaw209, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Called them last week - asked for a refund - said I would have it in 24 hours - still nothing - if you have anything ordered and used paypal -- recognize you have to file a claim in 45 days or they will not help you.

2. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Guess I am a lucky one... I ordered patch panels and rockers for a deuce and had them in a week... they fit okay, but if your doin patch work there aint none that fit perfect... thats what makes it sheet metal work..

3. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

I've ordered quite a bit of parts from them in January... Shipping was kinda slow, but overall I had a good experience and the parts fit well. I guess it's hit or miss.

4. jer11ren

jer11ren

I've been hoping to tell a positive Howell's story, but it will not be the case. I ordered some parts on Dec 20 and after several weeks called and was told that they would need to stamp a part but could send the rest. He said he'd stamp the part the next day so I said he should make it easy on himself and send them all together. A few more weeks go buy and I am told they were sent and I should receive them in a few days. 10 days later (today) I called and asked for a tracking number and was told that they need to stamp a part. The lying part is what pissed me off. I asked for a refund and to their credit my paypal was refunded the full amount within 15 minutes. I guess I am one of the lucky ones! Frustrated that so much time was wasted !

Jerry

5. 5window

5window

Apparently, the part they need to stamp is a conscience. Maybe they could order on online from Jimeny Cricket.

6. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

I got my parts in 8 days but bought off of their ebay store.

7. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

I ordered 1 set of rear 33 34 coupe patch panels on 03/14/2011, with an instant paypal. I tried calling them each day after just to make sure the order was placed. Each time it dumps me through to their voicemail (which is full), and then hangs up. This morning I got a guy on the phone who said oh those are boxed up, but I don't know how to ship with UPS. He said "Ryan" will be back on next Wed and will ship them then. I REGRET NOT GOING WITH SAR.

8. Jalopy-Joe

Jalopy-Joe
    from Idaho

Howells' Sheet metal....don't know what to think about them.

I made an order (My first) for $400 worth of metal for my '27 Turtle Deck Roaster online, easy enough. Payed through PayPal...very simple. I patiently waited for two weeks, nothing yet....no "emailed receipt either"?

So I called them direct, nice people to talk to...but they lied to me twice about sending out my order. I had to go through PayPal to have them contact Howell's directly to see what was going on before any claim was filed...

Just received an email from UPS that my parts are being shipped. So it took a total of 1 month & 4 days to get my parts. It's a shame because I still want a deck lid & the rain gutters for the turtle deck.

I might try ordering through eBay this time & see what happens??? Dang.

9. 55chevr

55chevr

On E-bay you can leave negative feed back which is the kiss of death to anyone that sells a lot on the net ... This is a case of a very independent business that manufactures unique items. Case in point. " I am the only one making these" ... I deal with people like this all the time, but they usually work for the government.

10. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

have placed 2 or 3 orders recently, never a problem

11. To add more confusion:

I ordered all of the lower panels for a 30-31 model A pickup. Biggest thing was that no one else is selling the cab corners b/c whoever was manufacturing them is no longer, and no one has taken over yet, so places like Mac's, Snyders, etc couldn't get them. Howell's is making their own and had them in stock.

I made sure I called and spoke to someone to order and that everything was in stock, given some of the issues that others reported. I ordered all of the lower panels for said vehicle, including the inner door panels and a cross sill.

I ordered monday at 1pm EST, and the parts arrived today (thursday).

The panels fit very well (with the compound curve of the door and cowl: much better than the other that I have which is basically flat), and have a recessed flange, if you want to affix them that way. The only problems I saw were:
    1. the lower bead isn't the same as stock, but since I'm not doing a resto and am replacing the panels all the way around, they'll work just fine.
    2. the cowl panels are missing the convex beads that run parallel to the hood

(howells panel on top, bottom is from ?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  12. Payaso

Payaso

I just ordered $500 (and steel patch panels in the past) in Wood Kits from Howell's...and the customer service was severely lacking. I will not be purchasing from Howell's ever again. I received ZERO communication after my purchase, but they sure pulled the cash out of my account the day I ordered it. I sent them 5 emails and left 3 voicemails in the last two weeks...No one ever responded. The Roof Kit delivered today...the last thing I will ever order from them. The voicemail greeting you hear when you call sounds like the dude is pissed or half asleep...unfortunately my buddies and I in the club all have projects going on...and they won't be ordering from them as well...a shame really.

13. Ok - maybe I can help everyone who is having trouble with Howell's. I go the same run a round as everyone here - they had my order and money for 5 months - last week I finally got a refund. Here is what I did. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Southeast Texas. I also contacted the City Manager of Beaumont Texas. Both were helpful. The BBB actually contacted him to see what the issue was and he (Ryan) said he would send a refund. They followed up to see that I got it.
    I also got a call from the police department of Beaumont and they outlined the process to file charges. It was not difficult and could be done over the telephone or even better via the internet. He was very helpful and I would recommend that route as well. Hope this helps some of you out. I have to wonder what this guy is thinking - he is breaking every rule for a successful business.

14. jmpowie

jmpowie

I know this is a old post but I am having problems with Howell's and need to vent!!! I ordered some rockers for my 31 chevy over 2 month. after 3 weeks I emailed them they said the parts are being made and would be shipped very soon. 3 weeks later I still dont have the parts and now they will not respond to my last 2 emails.

How do companys like this stay in business?

15. oltruckag

oltruckag

Glad I searched the HAMB - I found their website via ebay and was thinking they were a great deal on the patches I need for my A SC. I basically need the lower 6" of the car and they seem to have the best prices and best reviews of their parts.

I've got family in TX, maybe its best to send Dad to Beaumont to pick the parts up in person and ship them to me.

Tyson

16. That's what I would do. I had good luck with them, but I delt with them in person.

17. walter

walter

for A parts call Brattons. Ordered on Monday and was on my door step on Thursday. A little cheeper and great customer service.

18. Howell's is hit and miss --mostly miss - First of all order on EBAY -- send email if you do not get your parts in a couple of weeks saying you will leave negative feedback. Do not wait any longer. See my earlier post - I had to get the South Texas Better Business Bureau to contact them before they finally sent my money back - I will not go through that again - has to be something better.

19. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I got door bottoms for my 41 ford pick up - they came fast and fit well.

20. guess we'll need to catch them at the swap meets....

21. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I cant even get them to answer the phone or call me back. I wanted to drive down and pick up some parts.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I bought door panels and cab corners for my 47 Ford PU. Only problem I had was that UPS bent one of the door panels. Filed a claim and as soon at Howells got paid by UPS ( 10 days ) I got another set of panels right away. No issues. John

23. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I searched and found both good and bad so I called and told the guy about all the bad stuff I'd read and he promised to send my 26 trunk lid skin right away. I got it in 4 days, exactly when he said it would arrive. I sent it to be louvred and haven't got it back yet so I hope it fits well. So far, I'm happy.

24. 5window

5window

Glad you got your parts as promised. I am curious as to why you didn't try the fit FIRST, then send it to be louvered? It you have to modify it to fit, won't the louvers be off center?

25. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Well, I bought a dropped axle from a Hot Rod shop that's 2 hours away from me and they delivered it right after the skin was delivered so I had them take the skin back with them. They haven't punched it yet and I'm taking the inner skin up there to check it out in the next couple of days. If it is a good fit I think I'm going to order the panel that goes below the decklid - anyone have experience with these panels from Howell's?

26. anteek

anteek

In Florida,ordered several times direct from Ryan and got excellant service. ryan said they ship over 200 orders a day. maybe someone who hasn't been in business can take some of his marketshare. LOL

27. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I have ordered three times from them since Christmas and have had really great luck I guess. The only thing that went amiss was on one order that came in missing a part. I called Ryan on the phone and he said he would take care of it for me. I received the new part in two days. Pretty good service from my stand point. I would definitely order from them again.

28. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

I had them make a custom set of drip rails for my coupe 8 years ago....they were junk and didnt fit when they had an original drip rail to use as a pattern...and second it took 2 1/2 months to get them made and shipped (after they said "no problem", we'll have these out the door next week") Have avoided them since!

29. Best advice is "buyer beware" - I ordered from their web site - called after three weeks - gat an excuse said they would ship in a week t- this happened several times - then they would not answer emai or call back if I left a message - they did not answer the phone most of the time and some times they message box was full. I finally after 4 months contacted the Better Business Bureau and they contacted them personally - I was advised by BB that they would refund my money - which they finally did with no oppology or any communication at all. Now I see many positive comments and I wonder if that is what happens when they have the parts in stock and if they don't then they just string you along. Whatever the reason for their erratic performance in business, I really don't care anymore - you can choose to do business with them - I would only buy from a dealer of shop that has the part there you can pay cash for and take with you. I see no honnor in Howell's - you just never know what you will get - how in the hell can they stay in business operating like this?

30. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

I must say that I voiced my opinion here regarding my past experience with Howells. Finally after numerous calls I spoke to Ryan about my order. He came clean saying that they did not have the parts in inventory but would have soon. Within 2 weeks I had my order, frustrating hell yes. Will I buy from them again Doubtfull.