Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I reversed my 54 Chevy rims the other day.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, May 6, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

...... they turned out well. Primed, not painted. Got to wondering though, if anybody ever painted the centers and chromed the rings? I already welded mine up, and thought "maybe I shoulda done that". Ever been done? Pics?

Might be a cool effect with the chrome reflecting the center's color

2. dooling

dooling

Back in the 60's we painted them gloss black, ran baby moons, and narrow white walls. That looked real good with the bell shape of the rims when reversed. My 39 Ford was yellow with that wheel done like that.:D

3. Erwin

Erwin

Dooling, you brought back memories of me as a 7 yr. old looking out my 2nd flr. bedroom window.Would have been '64. Across the street was a cherry 348 '58 Chev; gold with -you guessed it, gloss black rims, baby moons and narrow whitewalls. Looked great.

4. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Ok I'll show my stupidity. Do you mean you actually mount them reverse ? How well do the lug nuts tighten up and do they run true ? I'd like to see some pictures to see how it looks - alway looking to do something new with the turd !!!

5. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

No the wheel center is reversed. The old wheels used to be riveted together, so you would drill out the rivets, flip the center around, knock it back in and weld it up.

6. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wouldn't you ruin the chrome when you welded the centers back in?

Rich

8. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Thats how you correctly make chrome reverse wheels. Chrome the centers and hoops, then weld.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

Here's my 49 Chevy wheels that I reversed

[​IMG]

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Purdy..^^

thanks

12. bob-o

bob-o

Dooling,

Where were you living at that time? I've been curious lately about regional trends during certain periods...

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud and I used to do them as a business when attending San Jose Tech. I had a set of '47 Merc wheels I did that way, Presto Plating chromed all 4 outer hoops, then I arc welded the black centers in in a tub of water. It worked, but our class instructor, Mr. Ericson, laughed and said it wouldn't yellow the wheels welding them dry.
    He welded one up (dry) and it was fine, only a slight yellow burn at the very edge of the weld, invisible to the outside.
    They looked GREAT with the caps, just a thin band of black around the cap.
    Some guys laughed at it, naturally..."Why didn't ya chrome the whole wheel?"
    I had 'em on my severely lowered red '47 Merc ragtop. 1960.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That's EXACTLY what mine look like, 'cept mine are still grey primer.

I'd like to see some where only the hoops were chromed.
    Oh, and since mine are going on a fenderless A Sedan, I'm keeping the stems hidden on the inside.

15. dooling

dooling

bob-o I was in Gallup New Mexico. I worked at a Whiting Brothers station, and my parents had a motel, both on Rt. 66. My friends and I saw a lot of cars going through, which gave us ideas for our own cars. We saw a lot of California cars. Also read a lot of magazines. My group of friends all had rods of some kind. It was a part of my life I will always remember...........

16. terryble

terryble
    from canada

That is exactly what I have done on my 50 Chevy, flat black centers, chrome bells and stock chevy bow tie caps. I did it because I got tired of losing beauty rings!

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ