Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home Brew CNC out of a Drill Press

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lunchboxlbc, May 5, 2011.

1. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

So I was reading some Tech blogs today and came across a guy who built his own CNC machine out of a drill press. It's pretty amazing. Just thought I would share. Figured HAMBers would want/need to see this. There are some pretty detailed assembly photos as well! Enjoy!!!

http://www.bakamecha.com/Projects/page34/page34.html

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow... that's pretty cool!!

3. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

That is cool, but it is a much tighter drill press than many of us have, I bet. Any chattering from a cheap press will destroy your tooling in very short order.

4. johnboy13

johnboy13

The "Drill Press" that you are referring to is actually a Chinese made RF-31 vertical mill/drill. The link you posted just shows how the guy made a poor quality mill better.

5. 85-percent

85-percent

6. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

If you want to build you a vertical / horizontal mill/lathe on the cheap go to this link scroll to bottom of page for PDF file......pretty cool reuse of other wise scrap parts.
    http://opensourcemachine.org/
    Kenny

7. indyjps

indyjps

Dont think most drill presses will handle side loads well, it'll work for a while. theres plenty of used drill presses, convert the table to manually feed the work in 2 directions, put in a cutter. you will destroy the drill press eventually.

8. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I have built my own home cnc router and bench top mill. Both work great. Fun projects