Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I Just Bought A '49 Olds Convertible Now What!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamac, May 6, 2011.

1. modelamac

modelamac

Well here it is!
    After 3 years I got this great 1949 Oldsmobile Series 76 convertible.

A good friend of mine "Honest Ray" had this super nice Olds, and for the last few years we joked about it, and about selling it to me.

So here it is... let me know what you think!

The car is complete and a one owner car until Ray bought it about 5 years ago. Ray told me the story on the car was... Bought new and driven by the guys parents and given to him when he turned 16. Then it was put away in the 60's, but was ran ever so often by the guy.

Every piece to the car i.e. engine, interior, skirts, hub cabs etc... is there and virtually untouched. It's good 'ol battle ship gray with navy interior. If you look close the previous owner done a little custom work... the black strips on the grille is actually black tape and every cable, plug wire under the hood is wrapped in a black and white covering.

I'm looking for ideas, help, suggestions... photoshop ideas etc.

this is the first Olds I've ever owned. I'm kind of lost on finding information, parts... etc.

any help would be great

Attached Files:

2. leadhead51

leadhead51
    from ontario

that is way cool.love criusin in a droptop.

3. Contact denise she knows exactly what to do with an Olds rag top.

Nice lookin old car BTW.

4. Great looking car!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Can't go wrong with a custom....

[​IMG]

6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Very Cool, I dont know about the striped grill surround though. If you dont know what to do with it you could always give it to me I kinda like it. :cool:

7. Take off the black tape, get some cool wheel covers, drive it.....tire of it.....sell it to me:D

8. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Way cool the way it is!

9. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I dont say this often my friend, but when I do, I say "YOUR ONE LUCKY FELLOW! Now go buy a lottery ticket! Stay cool enjoy the ride!

10. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

sweet car, that looks like an awsome ride

11. Nice car. Lose the damn black tape, put on wheel covers, or possibly chrome wheels with spider caps, lower it a bit, tasteful pinstripping, drive the snot out of it.

12. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

very cool car...........john

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

AWESOME! and like everyone else said, get that black tape off there. In fact I'm surprised you didn't do that before you even took the photos. I would have done it before it even left the other guys driveway.

Olds wheel covers are inexpensive BUT chroming those bumpers won't be. Save your money and do thing little by little.

You got a real gem there, you're one lucky dude.

14. bryan6902

bryan6902

Follow her lead......

15. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

That 'vert is rad!! I say slap some wide whites on her, spray some fresh red paint on those rims, and cruise her how she is, just like that. Way cool ride, and you never see those rollin' around!

-Allan

16. swissmike

swissmike

Now what? - I'll tell ya what - change your handle, MODELAMAC!

Seriously, awesome car! Don't go wild. Maybe some lowering, hubcaps, skirts, redo chrome. Congrats!

17. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Skirts, Fiesta caps, nosed/decked, lower the car a little(rear more than the front), dual mellowtones... Paint would be sapphire blue with a white top and redo the chrome. ;-)

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

lower it,chrome rims or caps, lose the front bumper guards,redo chrome,tighten top,drive it

19. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Bring lots o bucks for the chrome. Nice car.

20. modelamac

modelamac

Sorry Hnstray.. I had to show it off! I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to post some pictures! And "WOW" the black tape doesn't seem too popular... LOL! (I bought the car from Hnstray)

Thanks again to everyone... I appreciate the thoughts and comments, I can't tell you how much I love this car. Hell every time I walk into the garage I can't stop smiling!

My plan so far is just to get it up and running again and have some fun... OH YEAH! and tear off that "DAMN BLACK TAPE". Can't wait to get the 'ol gal going in some shape or form.

If anyone else has any pics of 49 & 50 Olds... convertibles, coupes, 2 or 4 doors please post them.... I really would like to see what is out there.

21. Normbc9

Normbc9

When the '49 Olds hit the street with the Rocket V-8 it owned the roads! I can remember friends with big inch Flat Head v-8's complaining about the power that engine produced. They started showing up at the Drag Strip with either three two barrel carb in a row or four in staggered side by side positions. But with the right cam and valv gear those things did some serious racing. Olds powered Dragsters were popular then. You have a gem in this car. Solid, strong body and frame and great brake system too. It is a great platform to build on!
    Normbc9

22. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

Nice car!! U got a good one now get that sled rolling

23. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The thing is the Olds 76 has a flathead 6 in it not the 303ci Rocket V8. First thing I'd do is drop a 394ci in it which was the biggest in that engine family. Still, it's probably worth more original since it's so unmolested.

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey modelamac.............the LEAST you could have done is made it clear that I didn't put that damn black tape on the car either.........it was on it when it came to me!!! (grinning smiley face HERE)

Ray

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! It is always nice to see someone get a good solid car that could be on the road in a few months of work. Have fun with it.

26. Wow! Is that a Henry J lurking under the car cover!

27. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Just drive it,not many untouched gems like that left!!!!!!!!!

28. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

cool yaaa got to love a Olds great score since your Olds had lower production numbers i would think there are not a lot left

checked the production on your Olds 76 convertible 5,338 were built in 1949 and 973 were built in 1950

as for the Olds 88 convertible 5,434 were built in 1949 and 9,127 were built in 1950

[​IMG]
    1949 Olds Pace Car this is from the conceptcarz.com

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  29. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Lower it all the way around ,white walls,fiestas,paint it black.Drive it

30. This all started with my just wanting to fix the blue color shift in your photos. But as often happens, one thing leads to another and pretty soon I'm thinking to myself (which is my favorite way :rolleyes:), what would I do with this car if it was in my driveway?

So I fixed the sail panel of the convertible top and dropped it a couple inches front and rear. Then the skirts went on along with some wide whites and baby moons. I like the subtle gray color,but couldn't fight the urge to try a little paint work. I think the scallops almost make it look like it's been sectioned a little bit. But overall, nothing's done that's irreversible.

Sounds like you're on the right track for getting it roadworthy. This one's too nice and too rare to be cutting up. :cool:

OldsConv_mod01.jpg