Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBull

JBull
    from NY

And here are the shots of his flaming #14 pinto. I believe this is last modified he built. If my memory serves me correct, he wrecked the car heavily very early on in the season and had to do a major rebuild. I recall the Astre being sold to John Redding as well, but I remember him repainting it and swithching the numerals around to the #41.

At speed at Islip with the #26 of Gary McDonald and the #15 of Wayne Anderson

[​IMG]

At speed at Islip with I believe Tom Baldwin in tow

[​IMG]

Artie zippin by on the outside of Jim Kelly #22 and actually Sam Sampogna in the #29, not George Brunnhoelzl (#28) that the picture caption states

[​IMG]

Art again at Islip

[​IMG]

Another beuaty by Art. The flames on the numerals make the car look like it is flying.

[​IMG]

and here are a few quick shots of the late model that he finished his career in . He won the Freeport Track Championship for the Late Model division.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

3. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

JBull,
    Didn't Artie race Legends on LI after getting out of Mods & Late Models? When I was getting in to Legends (1998) I remember calling hiom and talking about a couple Legends cars he had for sale. They were out of my price range, but I'll bet they were 1st class pieces. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple pics of his Legend car(s), if someone wants to post them.

4. Dutch Hoag was a great racer.

The #7 coupe and Valiant were both terrible looking race cars. Wonder why they built them with those curved front roll cage verticals that make the A pillars goofy looking?

Then look at Jack Duffy's coupe. What a difference.

5. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

The 09 & 99 cages came up an were Triangles an pointed, 7 was a Copy an used bent tube.

6. long island vic

long island vic

yes artie had legends ,but they were owned by chris lasavage>>i know spelling is wrong ,, he had part of arties shop and artie was the head wrench,,and man could he wrench,,i sent my mod to him for a few things and when i picked it up there was alot more done then asked,,,arties answer was it was ok but not good enough for me,,,by the way he didnt charge me for the fix ups,,,just bring him a few cold millers

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

With the Indy 500 coming up heres a few shots of Denny Z during one of his visits at the famed oval......

Attached Files:

8. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

The #78 coupe in post 9966 is Jeff Andrade from the Peconic LI area and that shot is probably 1985 or so. The body on that car was from the 2M sportsman car that Palmer Schade built and Joe Krukowski really flew in at Riverhead in the late 60's.

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Those are really neat shots, with Denny's name on the wall behind him....wonder if they still do that?

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Don't know either but I will let you know. Denny Z

11. Any close calls at Indy? In 71 you were flagged at lap 189, only 5 cars finished the race? I know the turns are bad at high speeds.

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

This car is perfect in every way!!!!

13. Dr. John

Dr. John

It's even more beautiful when you drop it into Photoshop and click Auto Color Correction and tweak it a bit. Many times, when the labs printed these pics, they didn't "do the corrections" and when a photo gets old, sometimes its color shift.

[​IMG]

14. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Here's a few more photos of Dutch Hoag. I never saw him race in person. I know he won a ton of races upstate NY. And he seemed to own Langhorne whether it was on dirt or asphalt. He seemed like a smooth driver and well respected competitor. Maybe Dr. John or one of our members from upstate could shed some light on him.

This first picture of Dutch in a pack has me puzzled. The car does not look like his Valiant or his Camaro. It almost looks like a 60 something Barracuda when looking at the taillights.

[​IMG]

Dutch's Camaro next to his coupe in the pits

[​IMG]

In a pack with Graeme Bolia and Gary Cornelius at Shangri- La

[​IMG]

Dutch beating Mike Loescher to the line at Shangri La

[​IMG]

A lynchmob photo from the pits

[​IMG]

A rare bad day at Langhorne for Dutch

[​IMG]

not sure where this was taken

[​IMG]

Dutch and Jim Hurtibise #17 at Langhorne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

battling Gary Reichert in the Turner Bros. Corvaire

[​IMG]

15. BKHRS

BKHRS

Besides 500 pages, 10,000 posts!

16. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Here's a shot of Dutch's Camaro and Coupe as well as his son Dean's coupe #77

[​IMG]

Dean Hoag #77 tangling with Joe Magari #90

[​IMG]

Dutch in his camaro in the lead, out in front of Geoff Bodine #99, Graeme Bolia #15, and Roger Burdick #54

[​IMG]

Ditch in the #7 Camaro alongside his son Dean in the #77 coupe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dean in his coupe

17. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

18. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Kholm, Where did you get those pics of George Tet with the 668? Those go way back no?

19. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

just surfing around, looks like 1950's on the beach at Daytona?

20. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

JBull,
    Thanks for all the pics of Dutch. I've seen them all before, but they sure do bring back memories.

You are right about Dutch being smooth and it's your misfortune to have never seen him race. I saw him race a LOT in the 60s & 70s...Canandaigua, NYS Fair & later Rolling Wheels on dirt, plus Spencer, Shangri-la, Fulton, Lancaster, Pocono, Langhorne (of course...he owned that place!), Oswego, Trenton, and even Watkins Glen when the Mods first raced there on asphalt. He was fast, clean & rarely ever put a bumper to anyone. My parents, aunts/uncles (2 of ea.) & me followed him all over the East coast and had a ball doing it. I was (and still am) his biggest fan. His son Dean and I are the same age, so we kinda grew up in different towns together. There's a couple comments I want to make on your post #9979. The first shot of Dutch in the pack at Shangri-la is the Camaro...would've been 1971. Him spinnning at Langhorne is also 1971 & was my one biggest dissapointment EVER in all my years of spectating. He so had the field covered that day and it woulda, coulda, shoulda been win #6 & would have been appropriate as it was the last race there and, as I said....Dutch owned that place like no one else. We always speculated that something broke to cause the spin, but only Dutch knows for sure. If only Richie Evans and Dutch had their careers peak at the same time, it would sure have been something to see. The other thing I want to say is that Dutch always had time for all of his fans (even a PIA teen like I was) and was highly respected by all he raced against. He was/is my first and only hero. BTW, if you head to Black Rock Speedway, which Dean owns/promotes, on Friday nights you can usually find Dutch & his little dog watching the races from his motorhome just off the first turn. I'm sure he'd have time to chat, if you look him up.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.