Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chevy Rally Wheels - when did they start showing up on hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novadude, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novadude

novadude

Guys... I am not asking about some three spoke billet crap from 1992. The aftermarket wheel industry started selling chrome reverse rallys soon after they were released by GM. Just wondering when guys embraced them for pre-65 cars.

This place is becoming like a f*#king NCRS forum - just replace "firewall chalk marks" with "traditional". I guess this is the wrong place to ask questions about hot rod history.

BTW - I don't have rallys on my car, and don't intend to run them, as I feel they've been overdone - that's not why I was asking.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and you still don't get it, they don't really belong here... easy enough really

3. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

ya know what ,all of you guys are nuts. you could get anything from a 14x5 up to a 15x8
    matching wheel for your car and also a choice of three center caps for them
    they could be painted any color and were cheep at one time
    maybe not for a traditional hot rod but wheter you like them or not they are part of our hobby
    and our past. i personaly like them on the right car but now that you can buy from a catalog any wheel,any size,and have them shipped to our door we have become lazy
    you could go to a junkyard and have a full set of rallys 2 15x5 and 2 15x8 for $40
    and would fit any GM 4.75 bolt circle car from 1949 up to the last s10

nova dude ,
    i have had lots of rallys on many a car from my 50 chevy fleetline to a 1939 chevy sedan
    and of course on my 1968 chevelle at one time
    keep the faith i only use and purchace GM stamped rallys fr my own cars, but thats my way of staying traditional not buying the new repops and hoping people think they are original ones, much like people do with new torq thrust or 16" steelies from vintiques

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. badlefihand

badlefihand

Agreed, but Im learning about real hotrods. Wish I'd have known all this in the 50s.

5. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Real hot rods have three pedals. That's all you need to know.

6. The Indy or Ansen Sprints or Slots, what ever you want to call them - by FAR

7. novadude

novadude

You are right... I don't get it. I see discussions about cragar s/s wheels, ansen slots, etc on here and NONE of those wheels were pre-'65. I wasn't asking about rally wheels on a Chevelle or something. I was more interested in when people started using these wheels on pre-65 cars, since they are so popular now.

I don't mind playing by the rules... I thought I WAS playing by the rules in asking a question about what wheels were used on pre-'65 cars in the 1960s. Sorry if I violated some policy. Right now, 2 threads up, there is a question about disc brake conversion on a '64 Chevy, threads about Mustang II suspensions etc. :confused:

8. novadude

novadude

Interesting pic from another HAMB thread. Is this car not traditional? :confused: Those are rally wheels on the back...

[​IMG]

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I do not remember a time before the 80's when they were used on hotrods (pre 1950 cars) but they were always popular on post 60's chevy cars

10. Deuces

Deuces

I'm done with this thread...

11. its not the wheels its the center caps choice
    and having the "correct " depth of trim rings if'n yer runnin rings

must be the true deep deep rounded edges vette units

yes
    i have a set or two with of all possible options

12. DrJ

DrJ

They are a '67 Corvette item but I have heard rumors at least that they were first made to some military spec for some vehicles during WW-2.
    I don't know if that's true or just another rumor.
    If it's true then they might be considered to be at least available in the "traditional era."

13. Anderson

Anderson

I never said word one about their traditionability. I just said they aren't a great looking wheel. On anything mid '60's and newer, rock on. But I can't think of a single application pre-mid '60's where a standard steel wheel wouldn't look far better than "rallys" with those ugly holes.

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Oh My...This thread is just another good reason I have Fords....

I will say, I do have a set of rallys on a junk trailer though. (Good place for chevy parts.) :D

15. 1320/150

1320/150

end of story!!!

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

May not be traditional but I can see and have seen them in traditional applications and they worked well. One was a torsion suspended track roadster with brizio style knock offs in the centers. I think some of y'all are close minded and for that....good. It makes it easier to think outta the box.

18. Better be careful Squirrel, in....say....5 or 10 years Rally wheels might be the new traditional and you'll be sorry you sold them!!:rolleyes::)

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'm confused. I really do love it here but since when did the narrow-minded outlook take over. Is this board all "pre-64" only? No. You can either open your mind or go back and read the rules to flame me on that. So now what? My fuckin 61 bubble's not traditional. DAMMIT!! I was so looking forward to hittin a few early rod shows. Now even AD trucks are removed too? Hotrods are only pre-war?
    Well suck me sideways, I gotta hotrod mt 41 Packard now if I wanna play.

Now that I've been a dick about it, some of you are really way off. Many era specific shows won't allow a car in with them, I get it. here on the board, we're supposed to embrace the past and the spirit of building vs buying, even if "buyers" want to have the old stuff. Good remark about chalk marks. You're right. I challenge any of you wearing your blinders to find a Camaro in the pics here. I've seen several and they fit the spirit of certain topics that our varied membership embraces. Maybe we should have the mods delete the whole "lowriders" thread too, huh? Maybe delete the gasser threads that feature Camaros and Mustangs? Don't forget to delete the post that the founder of the board did about his bracket racing days.

You can take this as flame or take it as diplomacy. Yeah I was a sarcastic dickhead too, but who amonst us ever gets the point without at least a little of that? Like em or not, they can be kool. They also provide some easy and cheap rolling stock to get you drivin instead of waiting for the "accepted" wheel. As we speak I got 15X7s on the front and 15X8s on the back of my 61 Belair. It ain't done but guess what...I'll roll em for several hundred miles as I shake the car down and I'll select wheels with the same dimensions when I change em out. I might even remove the centers and have standard OEM centers installed because I really like the relationships of the rim dimensions. If I do that I promis not to leak it out at the 1st show. I'd be banned!!

20. captmullette

captmullette

fixin to put 2 on the rear of my 31 tudor race/ street/hotrod/whatever but mine/ 15x10 with 29.5 x 10.5 mt slicks, i damn sure think they'll look better than the centerlines on it now....

Attached Files:

21. 1320/150

1320/150

I have a set of 15x4 and 15x8 rallys in excellent condition,and I can't even get myself to use them as rollers on my 57 150. I can't think of a single car they "work" on before 1964. Maybe its the fact that I grew up seeing these wheels on EVERYTHING,makes me kinda despise them. Yes if you get rid of the derby caps,and take the lettered tires off it does help.I guess we can all agree to disagree. Before 1964 I think any car with rallys would look better with oem's and factory dog dish caps.

22. captmullette

captmullette

just put em on.... good or bad ? i like em.....

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oh that's easy enough, you're in Florida and have mullet in your name. Makes sense for you. :eek::D:D:D

24. badshifter

badshifter

Any hope the pro rally wheel team had just sank with this post. Sorry but fail.

25. captmullette

captmullette

surely you can do better than that, you obviously stay on here 24 hours a day....:p:p:p:p

26. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have 'em on my '37 with poverty caps. I have to wear a ski mask when driving this truck to hide the shame I feel.

[​IMG]

27. captmullette

captmullette

ain't it the truth.... thank god i live in a small town, with only 1 red light in the whole county, damn it....;)

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

They don't look like Rally Wheels when you run them like that. Seeing them in argent silver with the top-hat style caps and trim rings, especially when paired with raised-white-letter radials makes me think of '80s and '90s street rods. Seeing them painted gloss black with a '52- or '56-style cap, and paired with blackwalls (or better yet, a pie-crust bias ply) allows them to fit well in a period-style (note I didn't say "correct") build.

I'm sure '40 Ford steelies are period correct for a Deuce roadster built in '40, and I'm sure that '66 Corvette Rally Wheels are period correct for a '55 Chevy built in '66; but I'm also certain that neither choice is going to immediately bring to mind the year those parts became available, but rather the years those parts were commonplace.

-Dave

29. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I can't believe this thread is still alive. The best use for rallys is when pairs are welded together to make jack stands at junk yards.

30. captmullette

captmullette

i guess so , maybe a couple spare tires out of a cavalier and some mud grips....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.