Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hyrdamatic Hydro Adapter Bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Trying to find info..The Hyrda set up below,,would any car of the time (55-60)
    With a hydramatic all have this mount ( bell ) in common ? Caddy ,Olds ,Buick ,Pontiac ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I believe that is Poncho only. Last year 59.

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Really ?? Though all the hydras had this type of adapter ? Im referring to the upside down "U"
    shaped mounting surface,not the whole set up. If that makes difference

4. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

That pattern matches a adapter I have for Pontiac to early Chev 3 spd. And it is not Oldsmobile pattern. Maybe a Caddy guy could chime in. I'm pretty sure is is Ponch only. Could post a pic of the adapter I have.

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yeah if ya could ,,heres the one I have and just figured it may fit more that one car,,since its not block /bell specific

Attached Files:

6. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Here it is. gc-24 Trans Adapt

Attached Files:

7. Pont 55- to about 59 or so.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Cool,,basically the same idea,,see this just made me think since its Hyrda ,,that there could be more applications

Attached Files:

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

and here is an olds bell and same transmission mount

Attached Files:

10. Yeah, that's Pontiac. Olds and Cad have the same bolt pattern on the back of the block up through 54. Olds used the side mounts for the tranny, while Cad had a much longer tailshaft with the trans mount attached.

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

K so the it can be use with the extended blocks as well as the Pontiac ?

12. OK, so I'd better re-phrase that post. The hydro bell-housing pictured in the original post is for a Pontiac. Which has a bolt pattern that is different than the Olds and Cad units. Don't believe you can interchange the bell-housings from Pontiac to Olds/Cad or vice versa.

All early Olds and Cad (up through '54) use a common bolt pattern. However the Olds bell has provision for the trans mounts, while the Cad unit does not.

Hope that clears things up...

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Ahhh,,that works thank you

Can you tell me if all the Hydro adapters interchange ?? Like did the 389's have them in 61-62

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  14. I believe that all early single and dual range Hydros had the same bolt pattern on the front of the case. But don't know that for sure. And I don't know much about the later Dual Coupling Hydros as I always yanked them out to put the earlier model in. So can't help out much there...

15. 1954wagon

1954wagon

ive got it if you still need it!

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The dual range hydro cases are common to all. The Olds and Cadillac bell housing that bolts to the transmission I believe does not fit the Pontiac "front" bell housing. It might fit 55 and 56 dual range front bell housings, but I know for sure it does not fit 57 to 60 front bells.

Also the first picture that shows a flex plate has to be from a 56-60 Pontiac, because the dual range units (55, some 56) use a flywheel to seal up the front of the torus assembly.

Pontiac changed the bolt pattern in 61 to a pattern more to the BOP pattern. 64 Pontiacs did have the BOP pattern, but still bolted the starter to the bell housing. Some 64 blocks did have the block mount starter threaded holes.

In 55, Cadillac did away with the integral bell housing. I believe the 55 hydro for Cadillac had the straight pan, whereas the Olds and Pontiacs had slant pans. The 54 Cadillacs had a straight pan (I had one many years ago), but the Olds had the slant pan.

A 55 Cadillac hydramatic would be very desirable (if you are into dual range hydros as I am) as you can mount to Cadillacs up to 62 and possibly later. I think Cadillac went to BOP pattern in 68.

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

61 to 64 hydro (dual coupling, not dual range) had one piece bell housings.