Register now to get rid of these ads!

White walls on a gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d.reese, May 4, 2011.

1. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

keep the www's but like.. paint em the same color as the car whith a sharpie.

that ought keep him busy and his mouth clean.

2. al8apex

al8apex

That is the 1st Ramcharger's car ...

more info on them / it here:

http://main.ramchargers.com/history.html

Quote from their intro:

"In 1959 a group of engineers from Chrysler Corporation began to participate in the nation's new craze; "Drag racing". They started with a 1949 Plymouth business coupe, named "The High and Mighty". They had extensive experience with the "long-horn" intake manifold that powered the early Chrysler 300 series, and began to experiment with the technology in drag racing. The name soon evolved from long-horn to ram's -horn and eventually the public settled on the nickname Ram-Induction. By the 1960 race season this group created the team named, RAMCHARGERS."

To get to some pictures of the High and Mighty recreation, go here:

http://main.ramchargers.com/

and select "Photo Gallery" then scroll down and select "The High and Mighty Re-Creation"

[​IMG]

3. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I wonder how the owner found the thread though, he took the time to join to tell him he was an asshole, maybe more to it?

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Johnnyr was looking in the mirror and needed to talk to someone.Is a nice 55.

5. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I guess they made WWW slicks so I'm sure it was done. Its personal preference. I like WWW's on some cars and not on others.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ROFL! And it turns out hes an idiot in the bargain. What a surprise!:eek:

7. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Doesn't work IMO

8. abone1930

abone1930

This deuce is awesome.:D

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Yup!! Back in the day occasionally you would see a gasser with white walls. Probably a result of running what he had when the car was ready to race.

Frank

10. They sure did!!!!

Attached Files:

• ww1.JPG
      ww1.JPG
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
    • ww2.JPG
      ww2.JPG
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
  11. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

1: SWC Willys Gasser

2: 55 Chevy Gasser

3: 57 Chevy Gasser

All with Whitewalls on all four corners and all three are 60's Gassers. I have vintage 60's Hot Rod literature and noticed that 8.20 X 15 was the largest size of Whitewall M&H Racemaster pie crust slicks that were offered. Certainly if M&H offered the pie crust slicks in larger sizes we would have seen them more.

What are your thoughts "IF" there existed M&H pie crust slicks with the FAT Whitewall on BOTH sides of the casing? Tomarrow I will post a mid 60's pic of a pair of mysterious pie crust slicks that contained the FAT Whitewall on both sides!!

Attached Files:

• SWC.jpg
      SWC.jpg
      File size:
      73.9 KB
      Views:
    • WW1.JPG
      WW1.JPG
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
    • ww4.JPG
      ww4.JPG
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  12. dannyego

dannyego

13. Why is the guy an idiot when he's only defending his car that someone else is putting down ?
    That car was a local car to Buffalo and sold last year, when it was here it did not have those white walls on it. The car is really nice with a 427 for power and for the record I don't like the white walls either.

14. Muttley

Muttley

It looks OK on some cars but not that one.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, let me see... Shows up here, first fucking post, no intro no nothing, to call someone who asked a valid question an asshole? I guess if you have to ask, you just aint gonna get it. Funny, no-one else seemed to need any clarification...

16. CYCO_FISH

CYCO_FISH

thats tits!!!

17. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

IMHO I would rather run white walls , Than Drive a car that looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old.. Like i said it just my thinking

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats actually pretty funny. Never looked at it that way before, but when you look at that car and forget its place in history, not far from the truth...

19. Larry T

Larry T

I did some looking and it looks like the WWW on gassers was a dead trend by 1962. Sure there were some left, but it was pretty much a done deal. Since the gasser class as we know it today didn't start until around 1960, that's a pretty narrow window of gassers with WWW's.

As for the High and Mighty altered, it was even earlier. The Ramchargers disassembled the car in 1960. It's a pretty well known/respected car for folks to be badmouthing and was the first car for the team of Chrysler engineers called the Ramchargers. They went on to have an impressive run of cars from stockers to top fuelers.
    Larry T

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Agreed on the time window, all done by '63. But on the High & Mighty, just take a look at with with fresh eyes, forget how utterly dominant it was when it hit the scene, what a HUGE influence it had, first tunnel-ram ect. ect. and just take a look at it with fresh eyes. Hell, its a race car anyway, form follows function, they werent going for pretty, so you dont have to feel like you are desecrating a shrine or anything, just look at it with fresh eyes. It IS pretty odd looking, you gotta admit.

21. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, I know it's funny looking. 'Course so was Jenkins first Vega when he unloaded it for the first time. (G)
    Larry T

22. Deuces

Deuces

I've got 30+ pictures of it I took at last year's Woodward Cruise... Y'all want to see'em???

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a TON of pics of the restored car on my computer at home. I'm still at work right now. Maybe we should do a separate thread on the High & Mighty. Or has it already been done? And yes Dueces, I wouldn't mind seeing them. Car is an icon. A real FUNNY looking icon :eek::p, but an icon nonetheless.
    Hell, if I dug out my grade 1 school books and posted them, the margins are full of doodles that arent a hell of a long ways from the way the High & Mighty looked. Guess thats why I found the comment funny.

24. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

All I know is if that car ran as fast as it looked scarry, dude better hang on!

25. deto

deto

x2...

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

At the time, it was UNBELIEVABLY fast, and Larrys comparision to Jenkins Vega is a really good one. Both cars caused a monumental shift in the way the cars in their respective classes were built. Just as Pro-Stock is clearly divided into Pre-Jenkins Vega, and Post-Jenkins Vega, the High & Mighty changed the way Gas and Altered class race cars were built.
    Come to think of it, Jenkins Vega changed the way Gassers (real ones, not bullshit HAMB "gassers") were built as well.

27. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

28. cooljunk

cooljunk

29. Deuces

Deuces

Sounds cool George! I'll start a new thread on the "High an' Mighty" when I get back from breakfast with the wife and sister in law...

30. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

not sure how Jenkin's vega built in the early 70's has anything to do with "bullshit HAMB gassers" which are modeled after a much earlier style car