Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chevy Rally Wheels - when did they start showing up on hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novadude, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

They're "controversial" here because they are the line in the sand between 'traditional hot rods and customs' and 'ugly 70s-80s street machine'. It's true, as soon as you see rally wheels, you know there's a Spectre braided hose kit and yellow split loom under the hood.

2. ....and those pop on anodized bolt covers and Heartbeat decals.

3. Just swapped some stuff for a set for my 55 Cameo, but if someone on the HAMB thinks they're ugly, well, I guess I'll throw them away. Hey, wait a minute, does anyone think 55 Cameos are ugly? I'd rather make just one trip to the scrapyard than 2, so please, let me know.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Nah, just one trip. Get in touch with wheelkid on the hamb for some chrome reverse. ;) :D

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I wish I was cool enough to hate guys who hate rallies.

Actually, I like 'em. I'm looking for a set for my '51... 15x6 or 15x7s would be perfect, with the rings and some mini-moons in the centre. Painted black or body colour, I think they would look fantastic.

6. Deuces

Deuces

If you already got'em, just bolt them on!! :D

7. al8apex

al8apex

Are the truck bolt centers the same as the cars?

You may have to get some adapters for the Cameo ...

8. al8apex

al8apex

I was there from late 71-73

there was a LOT of that liquid consumed

Some of the guys used to street race all the time during the week

The cops and the state police finally did a huge bust and a few didn't make it in for classes in the morning (Dale Youngpeter & Rich Chudoba come to mind)

Rich was a hard core street racer from Chicago

Had a 2 tone 69 (?) Nova (burnished brown with a white top) that he converted from a 307 pg to a 400 / t400 over a weekend and went back to find the guys he lost to before and won all his money back ...

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I seem to like them on my 55. On a limited budget, they work.

[​IMG]

10. al8apex

al8apex

nope, a 68 302 out of a rolled 68 Z28 Camaro ...

mostly did Telegraph Road in the suburbs of Detroit

I did VERY well ... the only car I remember was a 65 Catalina with 3 people in it that was able to pull on me, I never saw that car again. It was a 4 door sedan too, not sure WHAT was in that car, but it was stock looking and sounding (like mine). It was the 1st pontiac I ever saw run hard enough to pull me. GTO's and Judges were no contest.

The springs, the high revving 302, 4.56 gears, BFG Radial T/A's all allowed me an advantage. If I knew I could take them out of the hole but thought they might catch me on the extreme top end I would shut down early, so they could see my brake lights come on. I had blue dots on it too, so you KNEW when I was on the brakes ... :)

I never ran for money, just grins

11. Around here they showed up in the early 70`s.Because they were something new and they were Corvette, they were sought after.Now not so much. Some guys still run them but they seem to be a little generic. If you have them, hold on to them, they may be back in style some day.

12. gas pumper

gas pumper

I was B section. We didn't do any street racing. Went to 3 dragstrips. The only one I can remember is LaPeer. Still got a class throphy from there.

One guy had an L79 ChevyII. Very fast. He would drive out from NJ with us from NJ and PA and we'd put 4.88's in once we got to Flint.
    The 66 Biscayne 4 door, factory 427 4 speed. He bought it new. He drove up from TX every time with open headers and a crash helmet on.
    I ran a 60 Biscayne 2 dr with a 283. One kid who worked at the tech center was telling Mr. Duntov what we were doing and he gave him a cam for me to try. Solid lifter that idled like a stocker and would pull to 6800 RPM, with a 2 barrel and PP heads. Filed the triangles off the heads and ran pure stock. KIcked ass on the turbo Corvairs in that class.

Good times. Even tho I was one of the 75% that didn't make it to the end.

Frank

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

Oh, on the rally wheels, I put them on my 54 back in maybe 1990. I like steel wheels and I think they are the ultimate evolution of the steel wheel.

Attached Files:

14. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

You GO, Anderson! Rally wheels are not suitable for any traditional hot rod or Kustom car........

CB

15. :D:D:D

Well said!!

But Tri Fives are NOT Hot Rods in the context of this board

What?:confused: Torq-Thrust is a five spoke style of wheel made by American Racing and then copied by everyone else.

Amen, Brucie

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Last time I checked, Tri Fives were older than 1964. Not?

17. TomH

TomH

IMHO they look better with the police caps and no trim ring or at least a narrow trim rings. Oh yeah......and definitely NOT on traditional hot rod or custom.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Everyone knows "real" hot rods are built from pre war cars, right?

19. Sure - but they're not the "traditional" definition of a Hot Rod as used here. Most guys here define Hot Rods as Pre 49. shit, that will probably open another can of worms. Oh Well
    Not baggin on them, nor do I dislike them (had Two, one with Rally's for a while, rears were custom 15X12's) just when you say Rallye wheels on a Hot Rod, most guys here think of pre war cars and on them the wheels look like puke.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I had the Ford Version (1970 Mustang) on my coupe in 1971-77. Easey to maintain.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just depends on the situation, application, and, of course, stance. I can think of an early Nova that Scott Sullivan did that was about as tasteful, subtle and at the same time just as bitchin' as anything else out there. Then again, what does he know, I think he started Pro Street.
    HAHAhhahahahahahaaaaa

Some people's kids.....

22. +1 We have a winner!

23. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

It's good to know "snobbery" is alive and well. :rolleyes:

24. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

I like the rallys on that 55. I didn't realize they weren't stock.

25. squirrel

squirrel

which looks better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. ...for a low-buck factory wheel I don't think they look all that bad, especially on trucks.
    my 47 pickup has em with 54 Chevy pass. car caps adapted.
    I guess they are more street roddy, but were these pickups ever considered traditional anyway?

[​IMG]

27. gas pumper

gas pumper

Well, Jim, I gotta go with the first picture, roll bars and caps and rings don't go together. But lose the caps and rings and paint them black and then it's a no nonsense racer again. A little more low buck saying that we put the money under the hood instead of at the tire store.

28. hemifarris

hemifarris

What he said......................

29. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

wow what a lame thread

30. Muttley

Muttley

That pretty much says it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.