Register now to get rid of these ads!

In response to got tricked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gibraltar72, May 4, 2011.

1. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I suggested a thread telling the cool things our spouses or significant others had done to support our car sickness several responded they were in so here we go. these are only three things my wife of many years has done but to me they were big. When we were dating she bought the paint for my 53 Merc. as a Christmas present that turned out to be one cool car for a high school kid in my area. As we approached 25 years of marital bliss I had promised her on our 25th we would go to Hawaii as it got near and I said we need to plan she simply said take that money and build the pole barn you've been wanting. One Christmas she had been saying she wanted a ring so I saved up about $700 I of course wasn't going to go buy a ring without her knowledge so I hatched the following plan I enlisted my kids and son in law and told them I was gonna buy as ugly a ring as I could find and we'd make sure she opened it first and they would just go ape telling how beautiful it was in actuality it was a real stinker the real gift was the wad of money that would be opened last. Well she opened the crap ring and my family made it sound like I had given her the hope diamond. She swallowed hard and squinted and tried to see how beautiful this dog was. When she opened the package with the money we let her in on the joke and told her that it was to be used to buy the ring she wanted. A couple days after Christmas I said lets go shopping for your ring she said lets wait there will be some bargains in January. We got just about through January when I suggested we shop for ring and she said she'd rather wait. I wasn't gonna argue so I just let it go. In Feb. I mentioned it again and she said well I've been thinking about that and I'd rather you take the money and put towards a paint job on the 77 Vette. Thats my Mary not much wonder why I've hung on to her wonder why she's hung on to me!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

WOW! So very unselfish!!

3. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Just keep giving her cash!!! She knows how to spend it!!!

4. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

She have a sister with that same trait?

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow. You need to surprise her with something special without giving her a chance to change your mind. Some lady that one.

6. shadams

shadams

Have not had the 3100 very long but already couple cool things. 1, it was her idea to buy it to begin with. 2, she gets red if I am talking about it and say "my" truck, its ours. 3, she got some cash for her birthday last month and wanted to put it in the truck account. I had to make her go buy herself something.

7. big creep

big creep

what a great story!

8. Greezeball

Greezeball

I've got a good one too I just overspent ( meaning more than I told her what I thought it would be) no complaining about the money spent just about my guesstament, custom work can go that way. She said that if I thought something was going to be $2000 I should tell her three and that way when it comes in at $2500 I look like I saved $500. She calls it femalecconomics, that's when you go spend $200 on shoes but they were on sale 30% off so therefore you saved $100. Lol hahaha she's got quite the sense of humor.

9. Several years ago I made plans attend the NSRA Nationals in Louisville with car buddies. Unfortunately, I had a medical problem at the time and they scheduled a diagnostic procedure on the travel day. I had to bow out. My wife took me to the clinic in the morning and I was sedated. When I got back in the car I immediately went to sleep. When I woke up we were well on our way to Louisville. Belinda had secretly made hotel reservations and packed the car without my knowledge. We had a great time. I got me a real winner!

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I was going to send a private message to the original poster, but I figured I'd share with everyone.
    I've been to Hawaii several times. Infact, I own a few acres on the big island and hope to retire there some day.

If anyone seriously wants to take their wife/husband there, then you really should go. It's something that eveyone really should expirence at least once in their life... Beauty beyond compare!

Here's a few tips and tricks...
    You can get a regular round trip ticket on most airlines for about $800 or less, but going to priceline and putting in a $650-700 bid will usually get it.

Hawaii is warm year round, so no need to pack a jacket, unless you plan to travel up to the top of the volcano on Maui to watch the sunset or sunrise... That means you can get all your clothes into a carry-on suitcase and avoid the baggage fees.

The megga-resorts are nice, but absolutely not nessecary. Pleanty of cheap hotels. The real trick is to find and stay in a privately owned vacation cottage. These are quite common. Lot's of locals have a guest cottage in their back yard and rent them out. We have a few members here on the HAMB who live in Hawaii. I'd ask them for advice on finding a nice one.

If it's your first trip, you would most likely be quite satisfied staying on the island of Oahu only. That's the island with the city of Waikiki. It's the most developed of all the islands, but it still has pleanty of un-spoiled sections to explore. The public bus lines go EVERYWHERE on the island, so you wouldn't need a rental car. All the fast food restaurants that we have on the main-land, and if you get a cottage with a kitchen, you can just swing by the local grocery store.

If you must take in a second island, Maui would be my choice. It's the most diverse island of the group. Tropical rain forests on one side, and an active volcano on the other. Several good sized towns, but no cities. A rental car would be required tho.

Kawaii would be my third choice. It's the most beautifull island as it's almost all tropical rianforest and the least developed.

Unless you absolutely MUST see a volcano with flowing lava, you shouldn't waste your time on the big island. It's the youngest of all the islands, so it's mostly black volcanic rock. Dont get me wrong, it's an amazingly beautifull isalnd with some wonderfull people and sights, but when it comes right down to it, the volcano is about all it really offers... It's just not quite the tropical paradise that you would expect of a hawaiian vacation.

If you go, you should take in a luau. It's a show and all you can eat dinner. At about $50 a person, a little pricey, but something you should expirence. Well worth the money.

The polynesian cultural center is a toss up... Something you wont be disappointed in if you do go, but if your going on a budget, it's not really that important. About $45 a person to spend a day there watching the shows and seeing the dispalys. It gives you a feel for the culture of early pacific island life.

About 10 years ago, me and a girlfriend drove to Vegas, and on a whim, hopped a flight to Oahu on Hawaiian Airlines for $400 each R/T. Rented a minivan and bought an air matterss once we were there, and spent a week just relaxing on the beach. We slept in the van, and showered on the beach at the public showers. Ate at the international marketplace on about $30 a day, and had the time of our lives on about $1400..... Not that I'm suggesting you do that, but it does illustrate that it can be done very cheap.

I've been to and seen just about everything on all the islands, so if you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll be happy to offer advice.

11. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

thanks for info on Hawaii lets hear more stories about how our significant others have helped us!

12. 61bone

61bone

I don't know where to start. Maybe the new 71 Honda 750 or the 60 Fi Corvette or the 65 air coupe or the 65 Riveara GS or the Latham blower or
    I'll never give her up.

13. I don't have enough time to write down what my wife has done to support my car sickness. Most recent she bought the parts to assemble my newest old race motor. Quite a feat when you consider that we are raising our grandaughter, I am on a limited income and we are trying to remodel our retirement house.