Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show Car Dreams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2011.

1. There's a page or so of my interview in the book. That alone should be worth the money!
    Or not.
    It's a great book but unfortunately I can't afford it either.

Mick

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yaknow, normally i'd say that the Gutenberg bible wasnt worth two an a half hunnert or more in cash, but over the years, i've grown to trust Ryans judgement, and that of mr Moriarity (see that Mark? MISTER! :p )... a glowing review from both of them, to me, says its well worth the $, and if i'd have the money laying around, i'd be all over this deal...

not blind, but then again, we both might be...

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

PS, i wish i could see it, cause i hearts me some beastie boys...

i'm so bad, i should be in detention, i'm the maaaaaaaaan!

4. It is MIA now. Ryan?

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry about that... Video fixed.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

was worth the wait... and yeah, i'm kinda blown away by just the look of the thing...

7. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

For 500 clams you had better really be into the history of car shows. Does it come with a gold chain?

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Whoa! That last page you flipped to in the first book (2:34) had a large color photo of the Larry Ferris (candy red) Model A Coupe.

I have a thing for that car and I've been trying to dig up more info on it for a long time, but there's just not much out there. I know, I'm a weirdo...but I think it's a bitchin' show car.

I may have to buy the book just for that.

Hahahaha...fuck.

9. I think the price is more than reasonable, sure it will 'limit' the viewing range, but....if you're passionate about the history, the detail, or just enjoy a piece of quality workmanship, then you'll make it yours.

I find it ironic that people will baulk at one piece of craftmanship, but spend similar on handfull of 'cheap', based on a perception. Sometimes we need to look at things and appreciate the value without checking the price tag first.

Will be getting a copy, even if that means giving up my OSR, Garage mag, etc subscription.....;):rolleyes::D

Cheers,

Drewfus

10. Master of None

Master of None

Hmmmm, looks like I got a new thing to scrounge some money for. Great looking book and pictures.It would be a good investment!.....wonder if the wife would buy that excuse?

11. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

I feel compelled to buy a copy, as I own the Frank Collingwood , "ASTRA " Sports car the 1965-66 ICAS Champion and of course i am curious to know if it is covered in the book in any detail.

My curiosity extends to the coverage of all the winners of the ICAS and Hall of Fame inductees and whether or not they feature prominently in the book particularly the early cars being where my interest lies.

I have the book "Showtime" ( Twenty Year History ) The Story of the ICAS an published in 1980, by Michael Sheridan & Sam Bushala which covered the history of the ICAS and also included great photos of the ICAS winners and narrative.

Whilst i no doubt feel compelled to purchase a copy, regardless -I would be disappointed to receive my Master Edition only to find the "substance" of the book is a re-hash of the book "Showtime".

I have copy of the Abarth's buyers guide ( say a $20 book) and the Giorgio Nada limited edition $400 copy of the Abarth book which contains less pertinent information but expanded over a multiple number of pages.

The Buyers guide is the book of greater value to me.

The Nada book is simply a marketing exercise that adds nothing to my knowledge on Abarth Cars

I hope "Show Car Dreams" is not just another marketing exercise.

People who are really passionate about their lifetime's work and would like to share it with everyone - usually, dont limit the exchange of their experience and knowledge with a heafty price tag.

I look forward to any comments.

Regards,

Mike Nicholas

12. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Looking at the quality of that book and all the time that must have gone into it's making I'd say $250 is a deal. Now if only I had an extra $250.

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

Mike - I have looked at "Show Car Dreams," and I have "Showtime." I can tell you that the main resemblance is the fact that both are books with text and photos about show cars. There's really no comparison.

14. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

A fellow Hamb member responded to my query on the book and advised as follows:
    <O:p</O:p
    “Hi, the Astra is a great car, congrats on getting to own it. there is a listing in the back of the book showing top 10 finalists in the international championship from 60 - 61 thru 2009 and Frank Collingwood is listed as the winner in 65-66. there is also listings of isca car owner of the year, isca grand finales, isca banquets and isca overall champions with your car and Frank listed for 65-66. all of this section is just a list and there are no photos. I paged thru the book again and did not see your car. but I only purchased the 250 dollar base book. It is far more than a rehash of the 1980 book. you will be happy you bought it.

<O:p</O:pI guess the fact he could not find a photo of the ASTRA the ICAS champion for the 65 -66 show season in the main text is very disappointing.<O:p></O:p>

Not because i own the car, but because it does not fulfil the expectation of a complete and comprehensive work on the subject as marketed.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    Frank Collingwood expressed his disappointment with the ICAS and felt that the hardship and sacrifice endured by the entrants was not always appreciated.

Frank towed the ASTRA to 11 shows around the country during the 65-66 show season.<O:p></O:p>
    The ICAS was built on the sacrifices, work and investment of the entrants<O:p></O:p>
    Mr Larivee should have acknowledged the commitment of entrants like Frank who built show winners and went to the effort of showing their vehicles ( not only for their personal reasons) and helpedbuild the ICAS organistion and events.

At least one photo of each ICAS Championship car may have accomplished such acknowledgedment for the constructors - but more importantly to show all readers young & old who the winners were during the formative years of the ICAS<O:p></O:p>
    The fact that a photo of Frank’s car is not includedin the main text in my opinion demonstrates a lack of gratitude for constructors like Frank Collingwood and contempt for the readers alike which undermines the integrity of a book predicated on a "complete" history<O:p></O:p>
    Whilst any book that has unpublished photos is generally worthwhile - i would have thought that any interested reader would at least expect the principal winners would be prominently featured.<O:p></O:p>
    Whilst a couple of Hambsters have already indicated their “approval” for the new book because it is not a rehash of “Showtime” the Twenty year history of the ICAS – I am not so sure the authors merit unconditional praise for their work - given the book will fail to disclose pictures and properly inform all readers of the championship cars which form an essential part of the ICAS competition and its history – the subject matter of the book.<O:p></O:p>
    It’s like writing a book on the Olympics and failing to include photos of the principal Gold Medallists.<O:p></O:p>
    I believe fellow Hambsters should be made aware the book does not feature photos of all the ICAS Championship cars to avoid disappointment should their expectations be otherwise.<O:p></O:p>
    I invite your comments,<O:p></O:p>

15. oooh....so very very tempted. The price doesn't bother me too much initially.........but it's the inevitable TRJ price drop AFTER I buy the book does. I (and a lot of others I'd guess without too much of an imagination stretch) got caught out with both the Deuce book AND the Rex Burnett prints.

16. :p.....

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I disagree. The competitive side of these car shows is of no interest to me. This might sound awful, but I really don't care who won what class. Nor do I care about entitlement or politics or any of that other "people shit."

I'd rather hear from the personalities of the show... And see the peoples choice type photos.

In any case, this a book review thread. Let's not take it somewhere else please.

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm going to just read Mark's.

19. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I think the hay days of printed media are gone. Just look at the HAMB. Newpapers are shrinking and magazines are getting physically smaller for a reason. I would be surprised if they actually showed a profit at the end of the day. Even the Rodders Journal seems to have hit its apex, and after years of being a subscriber I just didn't renew this last time - Why? I am not really sure. Perhaps there really is a shelf life on an idea, especially in the media. I would be curious to hear some of your thoughts on the matter....

20. Kenny P

Kenny P

What Ryan said!
    Green Voodoo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to serious, geezuz.

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What some say about an expensive book is probably what folks said about the price of a new Deusenberg. I get it. I can't afford it, but I get it.
    And I loves me some Beastie Boys!

22. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I love books and magazines, I think if the internet makes the printed world more creative to be competitive that would be a win win for everyone. Id love to own that book. Art, photo and history are some of my favorite things.

23. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

I am not trying to criticise the book for the sake of criticising and i will buy a copy regardless.

Any information on the ICAS is probably good information - however, I would've liked to have seen the book feature unpublished photos of the Championship winners and the winners of the different categories - much like a chronicle.

A comprehensive reference not only as an acknowledgment of the efforts of the constructors but also to enable newcomers to the world of show cars to learn about the cars of the past.

The winners are an essential part of the ICAS competition and history and underpin the purpose of the ICAS.

Most folks like me will want to see the cars that led the competition and were representative of the cars and styles in the ICAS competition over the years.

The show winners are the best representatives of contemporary moods and show culture.

The ASTRA was featured in Rod & Custom in 66 and was the ICAS International champion for the 65-66 show season - inducted into the ICAS Hall of Fame.

The Kellison was the Hot Rodder's sports car of the late 50s and early 60s and was advertised in many contemporary Hot Rod Magazines.

Bob McNulty showed an ASTRA in the eary 60s along side Tex Smiths XR6 at the 1963 Grand National Roadster Show- see Custom Car Yearbook No.2 ( HOT ROD Magazine) and Bill Burke raced one at Bonneville. There were several good examples built in the early 60s.

The Frank Collingwood ASTRA was the most successful on the show circuit competing in the ICAS competition against some 4000 entries, including well known Hot rods and Customs of the period.

The car took out Best Custom & People's Choice awards at many of the shows enabling Frank to take the championship for the 65-66 season.

But how will anyone know what the 65-66 season champion looks like if there is no photo in the book?

The award reflects the impact of the ASTRA on the audience at the time.

It is a shame that such a car like the ASTRA is not represented in the book!

Yes this is a book review and my submissions relate specifically to the material contained in the book or rather lack of!

Ryan this submission is definitely not off track !

Whilst the publishers or TRJ have a vested interest in the success of the book and the issues raised may undermine the integrity of the book - i believe Hamb members should be made aware of the book's pros and cons before they shelve out their hard earned dollars.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and may I ask does your comment have to do with this BOOK???:rolleyes:

25. Racewriter

Racewriter

It's a book covering 50 years and God knows how many car shows and winners, with many different regions, sweepstakes, etc. - and you're upset because they don't feature YOUR car. Perhaps you're not the target customer.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think maybe you are assuming all of those pictures are available? Maybe they aren't.

In any case, you are certainly welcomed to your opinion. That said, you might want to wait until you've actually seen the book before you give that opinion.

My take... I'm not an indoor show car guy. In fact, they just aren't my thing. I'm not into trophies, could care less about championships, figure displays as a waste of money and effort, etc... I'm just a car guy. I like driving the piss out of these things.

All that said, even I enjoyed the book. And that's saying something.

BTW, I love Astras and Kellisons...

27. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

You either missed the point or you simply want to earn brownie points!

If the ASTRA is not featured in the book, my concern is how many important ICAS show cars have been left out?

Yes there are a lot of winners , but there is only ONE INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW WINNER for each year!!!

I already know what the ASTRA looks like ( but many readers will not !) and i have plenty of material to validate its credentials and its history remains intact whether or not the car is featured in the book !.

My point is the the winners are an essential part of the ICAS competition and history and underpin the purpose of the ICAS.

In my opinion the winners should have have been well represented in the book and the fact they are not is a major flaw!

It may have been prudent to include a third option in the Master Package - a volume devoted to the ICAS winners !!

28. Who gives a fuck? It looks like a great book, albeit a pricey one.

29. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Mazooma1 - the response was not in relation to your post therefore please accept my apologies.

My post just happened to publish after yours.

I'm not a through and through a show car guy either and i agree with many of the issues you raise.

I did not build the ASTRA and i do not accept any credit for it - i am simply the custodian of the car and i feel compelled to preserve it EXACTLY as built to enable future generations to refer to it as part of American Hot Rod and Custom Culture.

My intentions as custodian to preserve the car means i have a certain responsibilty to future generations therefore i cannot enjoy the car in the same way as i would other cars but i own it along with other historical cars with the purpose of helping preserve the history of American car culture.

It takes time , money and commitment to do so, but i do so at my expense and hopefully future generations will benefit from my small contribution to the preservation of historical cars!

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

ICAS?! This book represents what the writers want it (the book) to represent. You feel slighted because the Astra was not included? Really?

I'm thinking this book is about show cars for the sake of art.....not so much about points chasing and posturing. I could be wrong.