Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 ford falcon- complete restoration! with pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastfalcon_19, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Thanks! this car had some side trim that went down the front fenders and half the doors, it was considered the deluxe trim package for 1965. I personally did not like the look of it, so i shaved the holes off and went for the clean look. The 351 is definately going to be a challenge, but fun. I am considering a 289 with dual quads right now, but the engine choice is really up in the air. all I know is its going v8 and a stick shift

2. Willy301

Willy301

Very nice work, I envy your paint set-up. I have a 63 2dr ht and I also shaved the trim holes as my trim was not in very good shape. As soon as I find some quarters I plan on dropping a 351 Windsor in mine. It currently is 302 powered.

3. Thursday last week I had the chance to prep the jams and the dash for paint, so I pushed it back in the booth and went home for the night. On friday morning I masked the car up for the second time and had it all painted by lunch time when we end the day early on fridays. This morning after a great birthday weekend (19 WOO!!) I took the car out of the booth and got as far as installing a couple things on the dash. I totally forgot that the control knobs for the lights, wipers and the lighter were painted red in the center with some sort of brush. I tried to clean one of them up, but I think its a lost cause. I will have to get some replacement ones ordered up, does anyone know a good vendor for these? I know there is falconparts.com and dearbornclassics.com, but anything else? Heres the pictures of the inners and the dash with some stuff on it, I need to find a place to buy a dash bezel as mine had broke in shipping from home on the island.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very impressive! I have been watching this thread for quite some time, but have not yet posted on it. Beautiful work!

You are quite talented for your age. I'm 26 now, but I bought my '65 sedan (54A body code) at the age of 17. I used it as a daily for many years and am now in the process of of pulling her apart for a full resto as well. My car will not be returned to an entirely stock condition however. Sedans are cool (now more then they were 10 years ago), the 170/ 3-spd combo is a little "lacking"..so mine will become a period correct mid 60's factory "what if" 6 cylinder performance model prototype....think "Factory Lightweight with a Six"

Here is my thread if your interested....don't want to highjack:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571758&highlight=mrmodelt

Anyway, just wanted to say nice work and I can't wait for more updates!

Clayton - MrModelT

Attached Files:

5. very cool thread, I like that 4 door!

6. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Fastfalcon- another site for Falcon parts is Mac's. macsautoparts.com . They specialize in Falcons and Comets

7. The Falcon is looking great. Im doing the same original color on my Comet. Im going with the white top though. Im gonna start my build as soon as the weather gets better and all the snow melts.

8. This week has been a little slow for the falcon, but I did manage to get the doors, and trunk fitted, all the bolts for the car cleaned up, painted and clear coated, and FINALLY got the front fender trim holes welded up and the paint stripped off of them. I have been putting that task off for a while! I had previously primed and painted the inners of the front fenders, but I did that over all of the original paint and the other 3 layers of various grays and blacks, and the product I put over top was starting to fail, so they were taken to bare metal like the rest of the car! I gave me a chance to do some extra fenessing of the metal where previous repairs had been made. Heres the pictures of the doors and trunk fitted somewhat, and the fenders all finished up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 65COMET

65COMET

fastfalcon 19;the Falcon is coming along great! Try Russ Wall at Wall to Wall Falcons,he is here in Southern California,one man show and a HUGE Falcon nut,626-969-8157.He has used parts and new for 60-65 Falcons mostly,he is great to deal with,no web site. ROY.

10. update,

This week has been slow for the falcon because of another project we are working on. Me and a couple other friends have to do a full repaint on a 99' f350, which is a huge job, but were almost done. I did manage to get the front fenders for my car in primer and the inners painted. I also got some time when the primer was drying on the truck to fit the passenger side fender properly, and they fit pretty good with some encouragement! I took a couple of pictures of the fenders just sitting on the car, and the passenger one fitted properly. Next I just have to install the hood and do a final fit of all panels and a final gap set! than its time to block out and mask up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks for the phone number! Im hoping he will have a radio delete plate, I have been looking for a long time for one of those. does any one out there have one that they are looking to get rid of? Its the last thing I am looking for to complete the dash board.

On another note, I scored a set of clutch and brake pedals for a 1965 falcon from a guy on the tffn, Didnt need them and sent them to a project in need! The generosity of car folks it unlike anything else!

I can't wait to have the car out of the body shop and into my garage for the drive line swap, the v8 and 4 speed will be fun to throw around!!

12. 41fordor

41fordor

Great progress and good color choice. I think Falcons look good in those light colors for some reason. That'd be a great sleeper with steel rims, dog dish hubcaps and quiet exhaust...then kick their ass when the light turns!

You may take some ribbing about the color, but girls will love it!

13. modeleh

modeleh

Looking good. I think Crites industries has the radio delete panel you're looking for.

14. Yupp! sleeper is exactly what I am shooting for, an innocent color, with steel rims, and a stout little small block! I am going to go with a really tame exhaust, But have cut outs! I dont know If headers are going to go on the car or not, cause I want it to look relatively factory, Im even looking to order all the under hood decals etc. Plus I like the look of manifolds, no reason why. I already picked up a set of 15 inch ford factory steel wheels for the falcon, and a set of fairlane dog dish hub caps, Im still contemplating which tires to go with. I am going to paint the rims a real glossy black to match the roof, I think its going to look pretty sinister for a car getting painted tropical turquoise!:p

Does any falcon guys out there know of a good tire size to fit these cars?

15. indyjps

indyjps

If you want to dress up the roof go black with a flake that best matches the paint on the rest of the car. I think stock non metallic colors will look best though.

Youre very skilled and learning at a young age. Can twait to see the progress. Consider a T5 if you dont have an engine / trans yet. Theres plenty of 347 / T5 set ups available, run it with a carb and dress it out as a stocker.

16. I think the solid black will look best as well I am looking for the deepest rich black I can find, One black I like is GM's super jet black, which came on the ssr pickup thing. It is crazy how many different blacks there are haha.

the 347 kit has crossed my mind as well, and so has the t5 5 speed, Its just a matter of what I can find in my area i guess. If no 4 speed transmissions at a reasonable price can be found, I will be going with a five speed transmission. I just like the feel of the old transmissions, the straighter cut gears,the old school synchros,and the whine, I dunno maybe its just me......

17. Just a little bit of an update,

I have been block sanding like a mad man and just put the car back in the booth for a small spot prime session. the car is now 95 percent final sanded and it will be in paint by tuesday afternoon! Not many pictures because lets face it, block sanding shows no real progress, but I did grab two good pictures of the car while getting its final degrease for the spot priming. When it is spreyed down with a light coat of wax and grease remover, it gives a nice reflection, and a glimpse of the future! The birdy is real close to the end for body work!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Cheers to you man! Great photos. I love seeing creative rust repair. The color choice is fantastic. This is going to be so nice when you get it on the open road. Cheers again!!

19. modeleh

modeleh

looking good! looks nice and straight from here...

20. BACK TO THE FUTURA

BACK TO THE FUTURA

good job fastfalcon, nice to see another one being saved!!

21. eh you might see her going down the road some day! shes an island car for life :cool:

22. and thanks everyone for the kind words! the next pictures posted will have some color! Im going to spray the roof first in black than take the plunge and giver the beautiful hue of turquoise she deserves

23. modeleh

modeleh

well I'll definitely know it's you if I see a laser straight, turquoise sedan going down the road, it will be one of a kind around here. I have a red 64 Ranchero and a pearl white 65 Falcon convert with a white top.

24. ^very cool, I want to build a 62 ranchero some day...I too have a couple of falcons already this one along with a 61 4 door and my dad owns a 64 hard top! scraping the coins haha

25. New Update!

I got the bird into the booth on tuesday and all masked up to paint the black roof. This morning I degreased the roof, tacked it off a couple times, and mixed up the general motors super jet black single stage. The reason I picked this black is because it was the purest black you can mix. all it consists of is mixing base and black toner. In my opinion it is the deepest black with the most body.

After three coats I let the car flash off for 20 min. and put it on a 30 min bake at 140 degrees. When the cool down cycle was finished, I unmasked the car and started masking up for the turquoise. I didn't do too much masking cause I wanted the paint to breathe overnight so all the solvents will evaporate. Tomorrow morning I will mask up the roof and get this baby painted!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Sweet!!! Cant wait to see this one in all it's turquios glory!!!

27. Mee too! then I can take it out in the sun for a good look! thats what im looking forward to most

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Have you made a final decision on which engine to run?

29. sircampsalot2

sircampsalot2