Register now to get rid of these ads!

Someone out something in my gas tank...Anyone know what it is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KadieKay, May 3, 2011.

1. how would a blown head gasket contaminate the fuel in the gas tank?

2. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Sure there is.

I've found that gas will do it if there's a monkey hooked to the throttle pedal.

To the O.P.

Do you pump your own gas or do you trust they guy who makes minimum wage?

Sounds like diesel in the tank.

Shawn

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I've heard that putting plutonium in a gas tank can spin a bearing. Hasn't happened to me personally, but I think I read it on the internet somewhere.

4. Never2low

Never2low

Of coarse plutonium will spin bearings! It's supposed to go in the flux capacitor, I thought everyone knew that.:rolleyes:

I believe deisel nozzles are 1" diameter, for the sole reason that they will not fit in a 3/4" no lead filler holes. I maybe wrong, thou.
    With that said, deisel sounds like the culprit. Spun bearing is coincidental.
    Then again, I've been known to not know shit.:D

5. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I also say sounds like diesel fuel .

6. x6 or 7 or whatever for diesel. was it smoking and rattling when running? also when you switch of a carby car with a diesel/petrol mix it can run on indefinately, may not be associated with your problem, just a side note.

7. AssGasket

AssGasket

US Army TM 31-200-1 has about 40 pages devoted to the analysis of fuel an oil additives thought to disable vehicles.... Almost all additives were deemed ineffective (several per page... That's a lot of de-bunking).... Those that were considered effective were either highly abrasive, acidic, or severely reduced octane levels.....

It's kind of like "Mythbusters", only it's a declassified government manual from 1966 that probably cost a few million in taxpayer dollars to create.....

If you really want to put a vehicle out of commission, just swap out critical components with Wallmart/Autozone discount parts....

8. 17rattycaddy

17rattycaddy

I think the WOT restarts may have contributed to your spun bearing. You can have a sample of the oil tested by any Caterpillar dealer for contaminates for around $12. Just ask for a prepackaged oil sample bottle.

As far as the fuel contamination goes if you think it was diesel take a sample of the fuel to a local fuel supplier and have them test the specific gravity. Diesel should be around 35API @ 70 degrees. Gasoline is much lighter. Also you could put some in a glass jar and let it settle out. Any water will eventually float up. Pull the fuel filter and check for solids or crystals of whatever.

Sorry about your luck. I had a buddy who had a nice custom harley and someone dumped a small quantity of salt in his oil tank and destroyed his engine. We had a hell of a time figuring it out until we pulled the tank and found one of those little salt packages from a resturant in it.

Anyone who delibertly does that kind of shit needs skinned!

9. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds like an ex wife or girlfriend. i don't know about the color or oily residue, but they usually smell clean.
    ________
    Medical Marijuana

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  10. rougebeats

rougebeats

I dont believe diesel is the culprit since the nozzle diameter is larger on diesel pumps than the regular pump.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

My daughter accidently put Diesel fuel in her 80's Ford carburetor engine PU truck.She realized the mistake after about two gallons,she said the truck had about 1/4 tank when she added the diesel.The engine ran like shit of course.Drained the tank,fresh gas,ran funny for a bit then was ok.Didn't seem to cause any permanent damage.

13. i used to work for roadside assist, trust me its been done:rolleyes:. besides he never said hes got an original tank in the car (with a modern filler neck)

14. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

Where did you purchase the gas? The contamination could have been in their tank.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And what makes you think the OP has a vehicle with a "modern" no-lead narrow diameter fuel filler tube? This is the HAMB, not the no-lead fuel forum.

16. rougebeats

rougebeats

The same thing that makes you think it isnt. I forgot were on the H.A.M.B. and nobody replaces a tank on 45+ year old cars.

17. Never2low

Never2low

I'm sorry. I guess I missed the part about it being an older car, since the year/make/model has not been discussed.

18. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I'll go with the diesel answer. My ex wife did this to a very nice late model Lincoln. She had no trouble filling it up with about 16 gallons. Car started fine, drove about 1 block. Onto the tow truck, off to the dealer and $800.00 later car was fine. No bearing damage though.

19. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Replaced lots of tanks.

Never had one come with a modern filler neck.

Shawn

20. Big Nick

Big Nick

My girl put diesel in her OT FJ Cruiser, smashed the nozzle in till it fit and filled it up, realized what she did as soon as she filled it, again like said before, drain the tank and change the filter and she was off and running again. Thats what this sounds like and the bearing issue was just coincidence.

I have heard putting gas in a diesel motor does not have a similar turnout though.

21. I'm going with one of two options here, however inspection of all the bearings is needed to verify the first.

If someone put a foreign substance such as simple green or diesel in the tank, what's to say they didn't dump some in the crankcase also. This certainly would cause some problems with the bearings but all of them would show compromised. The weakest or most stressed one would spin first.

Next would be foreign substance in tank, either accidental or malicious, resulting in poor running, hard cold starts at WOT that's what spun the bearing.

22. yea you keep believing that one.

Karo syrup is actually easier and is already a liquid. It normally doesn't stick the pistons in the cylinders like most believe it will but it will glunk up the valve stems and the induction system. It will glunk the valves enough to stick them.

Back to the OPs question nothing in the fuel will cause you to spin a bearing, maybe something in the oil will trash the bearings. I knew a fella that found about a pound of sand in the oil pan of a fresh built engine back in the '80s.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

WOT, that means Wide Open Throttle? Who the heck in their right mind starts a car like that no matter what the actual problem? Yeah, my bet is that was the cause of the spun bearing. Sometimes some people's fixing is far worse than the actual problem.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be my guess as to what was in the tank. Grab the wrong hose (green) at one of those multi hose gas pumps? I've had to drain and flush at least one gas tank that someone put diesel in by mistake.

A dab of valve lapping compound dropped down a filler tube will wipe out an engine pretty quick.

We ran an old straight 8 Buick for days with a hose going from the fuel pump straight to a pan of gas that we kept pouring sugar into along with more gas for days on end in trade school and the thing kept on going until we got tired of fooling with it and conceded to the instructor that sugar wouldn't kill the engine.

The thing that I have seen screw up the top end of an engine is old/bad gas. Had that happen to one I was driving when I drained the gas out of the tank that was in the 71 GMC that I drive now. That made so much gunk on the valves that it took a full day of cleaning to get a six cylinder Ford head cleaned up and put back on.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  25. OK, Pork. You believe whatever you want. I suppose someone will eventually turn lead to gold as well. This was thoroughly debunked on Mythbusters as well as Snopes, who list four different sources for their proclamation of "False". Tell ya what, go to your garage, put some gas into a Mason jar, add some sugar and shake well. See, for yourself, if the dreaded sticky goo appears.
    In the meantime, I'll believe empirical, scientific proof over anecdotal stories.
    BTW, I went outside this morning and found a hook on my doorhandle........oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. this is probably the winner

27. Joey7319

Joey7319

could be something as simple as a stuck float in the carb, that would allow fuel into the crankcase and spin the bearing. It would also cause it to run poorly and only want to start under full throttle. If you ignore these issues long enough you will wipe out the bearings. just a suggestion.

28. As always, people overlook the obvious in search of the obscure. Whoever posted that a headgasket blew, and dumped coolant into the crankcase, causing the spun bearing probably hit the nail square on the head. Between my truck and my tractor, I've burned a lot of Diesel. All of it, that I've seen, was either clear, with a slight yellow tinge, or red, off road, fuel. Dumping it into your tank will not spin a bearing. If you burn it there will be no residue. Pull the heads. I'll bet the gasket(s) are blown. It just happened. No big conspiracy, no sugar, no Karo syrup, no aliens, just life and it's consequences.

29. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

an ex wife or girlfriend never smells clean again...... I can believe they would leave a green foul oily residue behind them though......

30. i am going with diesel as well. also with a user name like kadiekay i am thinking it's a female. just saying...i am also betting we never find out..