Register now to get rid of these ads!

Burning up spark plug boots any advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, May 3, 2011.

1. dannyego

dannyego

The boots on the driver side are super close to the headers and burn up due to the heat. These headers are made for this motor with this setback in this car for clearance see how close the steering box is.... any tips to solve this problem??? The back one is actually a little closer than the pictured one. The headers are Hedman blockhuggers, its a 56 chevy with a sbc setback about 6"s from the stock location. Any of you trifive guys run into this before? Would really like to drive this thing this summer:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

Verify that your ignition timing and fuel mixture are correct, then do a search for hi-temp sparkplug wires, silicone used to be the hi temp standard , but maybe something more better is king now.

3. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Jacob's make porcelain boot plug wires. We bought a set years ago when we were having this issue. A bit pricey but it solved the problem and we've since built several sets of wires using the same boots.

4. RocketSled

RocketSled

They make kits that'll insulate the boots, but the other thing you might check is the timing of the motor. I timed my 383 accidentally to a cam phasing mark instead of the timing mark. It ended up being 4 degrees ATDC rather than 6 degrees BTDC...melted the crap out of everything around the headers while it was like that.

Last edited: May 3, 2011

5. squirrel

squirrel

Dimple the header tubes to move them away from the plugs a bit. Get higher quality plug wires (although I don't have any specific suggestions). Make sure the ignition timing is set right (being retarded puts extra heat into the exhaust)

6. Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place.

Header wrap at the top is an option
    Saw some stainless chain mail plug boot covers once on a late model someplace. But for straight boots not 90* boots. They were thick and actually probably ride on that header.

7. dannyego

dannyego

So with good wires is this clearence acceptable? I just fixed the timing issue I had with a new distributor so that shouldnt be an issue anymore.

8. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Accell shorty plugs will resolve your problem

9. RocketSled

RocketSled

Hard to say...I can't see the clearance from Denver. :D

10. dannyego

dannyego

Thought about that, but it doesnt look ike it would make much of a difference the back half of the boot would still be sitting in the same place.

11. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I run them on my SBC and it resolved the problem....and the boot won't sit in the same place...

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Taylors wires and forget about it

13. dannyego

dannyego

Cool, I'll look into those. Any other recommendations for high temp plug wires?

14. BigChief

BigChief

+1 on that....

15. mj40's

mj40's

I have the same problem with Sanderson block huggers. Shorty plugs would make it worse on mine. Looking into other wire options as well.

16. vikeys right- header wrap

17. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

best fix of all, throw those headers out for the birds and put stock manifolds back on it

18. dannyego

dannyego

it crossed my mind, but I really dont want have to buy some ramhorns and then have to redo the entire exhaust. Totalling around $300 when maybe some $60 plug wires or header wrap would do the trick.

19. bigjohnAFA

bigjohnAFA
    from Moncure NC

accel header plugs and higher quality wires will cure your issue

20. dannyego

dannyego

Ordering some accel 9011 wires. Good to 1000 degrees and can be within 1/4" of the header. They are $89 but should do the trick

21. TV

TV

I had the same problem with Sanderson 1 3/4 headers in my 32 pu. I tried everything and nothing worked, mine would start running bad and I would stop and find them on fire. I put a pre made set from Accel and my problem went away. Worth a try.--TV

22. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Yup, was going to say the same thing....unobtanium in J-ville FL hadda order two sets....

Additionally, I mixed it with Taylor wires (and a pertronix distributor....we went full meal deal and solved all of my HEI issues in one fell swoop.) and didnt have another problem with the shorty headers....

That said I got rid of the headers (upon reworking the truck AGAIN) and just went with ramshorns and now dont have to worry about it any longer....