Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its 1958, you just graduated HS and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboShadow, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TomWar

TomWar

In 1960-61 on the street in the East bay, the 36/ Hemi outran ALL sbc's and ALL 348"s and Cadillacs and everything else anybody wanted to try. On The back of the Coupe, in 6" Olde English my friend lettered "PROGRESS 1". There are still people around that remember.

2. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Olds with hydro.

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

All the Above with Chevy Small Block at the very bottom of the list..lol

4. gsp392

gsp392

Keeping with Ford and to stay period correct, I'd go with an FE.

5. Flatheads could run with anything detroit built up 1956 and in light car till 58. but couldn't out run a light car with an OHV motor unless traction was a problem (and it usually was)
    58 my list would go
    1. Chrysler 354-392 duai quads
    2. Cad 331-365 dual quad or tri power
    3. Olds 324-371 tri power
    4. Ford 312 Y-block E (dual quads)or F (supercharged) series
    5. Packard 374 dual quad or 352 supercharged stude golden hawk (same blocks)
    these were all factory equipped motors that could be bought in junk yards for under $300
    it was 1958 that I missed a set of Ardun heads at Blairs Speed shop for $250.

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

7. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Like I said... this has to stay FoMoCo. Personally, if it was me I would use a Poly, to have something that could build decent power, not cost more then my house like a hemi, and be a mopar motor, I am a mopar guy. But, my grandpa wasn't! If I want to build this like my grandpa would have (and that's the goal) it needs to be ford. Preferably mercury. From what my grandma has said, he LOVED mercs. He passed away when I was 4, so I didn't really get to know him. I really feel like I was cheated :(.

I know where a almost new 360 is, probably could get it for a decent price. Could a 360 be dressed up to look like a old merc y-block? Also, Ive done some searching but haven't found much on what it takes to fit a y-block to a ford. Anyone have any good links? What tranny would most have ran? The ford auto? I'm not the biggest fan of autos in hot rods, but at 6' 4", space is gonna be a issue in that little car for me.

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

MEL engine would be the ticket then, like a 383 or 410 CID

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

If cost were no object in 1958, and I were seeking a late-model FoMoCo power plant to re-power a car, I’d be thinking 430 MEL Super Marauder.

More realistically, a 312 Mercury would be a good choice for a ‘50s-style Model A; but the ubiquitous hot rod mill from those years was still the ‘48 Merc flathead V8, and a rich kid like you envision could afford all the hop-up goodies in a very well developed market.

-Dave

10. Swifster

Swifster

Personally, if Uncle Al left me a chunk of change, I would have bought a new Fairlane drop top or a used baby bird.

That being said and in this context, I'd get a 312 and call it good. Even in 2011 dollars, that '58 Fairlane convertible will probably be cheaper.

11. norm ricardo

norm ricardo

292 Y block, 3 deuces , T-5 or anything with a clutch. them 312's are getting tough to get

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Early Chevy V8's are gay ;). Go with the Y-block (since you want to go ford) and fit the body to the engine. After all it's a coupe-ster so it's not like it's a virgin to the saw.

My neighbor was telling me about his friends roadster in 1960 that ran one of those Edsel 361's (?) and ran hard and fast against some of the best in the town. Actually won top eliminator against one of those GAY 301 Chevys.......only after that Chevy snapped the driveshaft 1/4 way down. Hahahahah!!!!

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....go dig up some 1958 HRMs, R&Cs, and Car Crafts and look at them. That's one of the best things about vintage magazines---they don't lie about what people were running at the time.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's what I do and why I came about my choices that I have already. Hit the books !!

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Pretty old thread,but. Around that time I was running my coup (What the Hell is a "Coupster?) and there was a guy with a channeled 31. Blue and with a 410 Edsel engine. It ran pretty good for the time. His wife would cry all the way down chasing him in the push truck. I think that is why he stopped coming out.

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Exactly what I have on mind for the ultimate blue oval power plant of '58. Here's a picture off the MEL thread for inspiration.. :)

[​IMG]

Multiple carburetors and a stick is a must. Real hot rods have 3 pedals. As for the rear end.. I'm not too knowledgeable on what was available in '58 for FoMoCo.

iPhone - TJJ App

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

No question, 430 Lincoln.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Ford 9-inch came out in '57, but most of my (East Coast) mags from that era have guys running '49-'52 rear axles, which are Dana-type, if I remember right.

-Dave

19. I was 4 but I'm pretty sure I had already been written out of everyone's will by then.

My first race car had a a 312 Y block. That may have been my choice if I had graduated in '58 I was pretty deep into Ford products when I was a young man. Of course our driver had a 430 MEL so maybe that would also be an option. (we were married our junior year)

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet. Thanks Dave.

I was planning on doing some research on that. I'm trying to keep all the parts at '57 and older for my coupster build because I have a '57 283. I've been debating over going with a 3-speed and closed drive banjo rear or with a 4-speed and a 9-inch. I want to be able to upgrade to other motors in the future and want my driveline to be able to handle the power.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to the regularly scheduled program.. :D

iPhone - TJJ App

21. 61bone

61bone

I'd have to go with a 58 352 bird motor and trans

22. Coupster = Sport Coupe with the roof removed.

23. rainh8r

rainh8r

MEL 430 if you wanted the biggest Ford product around. Raced in Nascar and on the strip, they would give you all the power your coupster could handle. With a little weight penalty too, but think of the response.

24. dsr_54

dsr_54

Yes a Y block would be sweet.

25. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

What he said ^

:cool:

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Don't "poo-poo" a 'banger my friend, they can be far more potent then you think.

Back in the 50's, my Grandfather's best friend ran a Model A banger in his '29 A roadster. It was a fairly stock, but ran an Isky 3/4 race cam, Winfield 7:1 aluminum head, Vertex Mag and an Ansen twin downdraft intake topped with 2 "97's". The exhaust was 4 14" long 3" dia pieces of water pipe.

Everyone from Grandpa's old club that is still around remembers that '29 A vividly the same way: It was UNTOUCHABLE. :D

They have all told me that for the first two blocks in a street race, nobody could touch him...and on the strip, nobody liked to race him...even the V-8 guys because nobody could beat him! :eek:

When he finally broke the crank, they all through a party because they wouldn't have to loose to him anymore. :eek:

A Crager OHV conversion head for an A motor would be a very hot setup and would make for a VERY SCARY 'banger for sure!

As for the V-8's: think what would have been easy and cheap in those days, something 1948-54 most likely.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

the brand new 352 out of a ford.. or a 361 out of an edsel....

28. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

If grandpa loved Mercs and the '58 budget would bear it, either a 383 Marauder or Merc 430 Super Marauder (400 hp!) would have been the newest and hottest Mercury engine available in 1958.
    In an 'A' it would have been both a knockout at car shows, and a real Gas class contender.
    Would still make one hell of a ride. 6x2s & headers oh wow!

29. id grab a 371 rocket from a wrecked 57 oldsmobile with a tri power. cant beat it.

30. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

in '58 the sbc was only 3 years old, think flathead, caddy, olds, studebaker, I would think what was available in 1953 as that would make options 5 years old and readily available in wrecking yards, etc.
    Good Luck!!