Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Adventures of the Anti-Donut - Flabob Air Field

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, May 2, 2011.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Great pictures of outstanding works of art.

I even noticed "a major prize" in one of the shots. Haha.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Frogeelee. Must be Italian." :D:D

3. endlessearth

endlessearth

So many fantastic photos there. Wow. Those planes are gorgeous.

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Great pics Scoot and Mrs Scoot. Had agreat time thanks for letting us know about the event. I also wish the wind wasn't blowing so bad. Not only did the wind prevent the Fly-in but my Pops lost 2 hats. One on the way in (his) and one on the way back home(mine). You would ahve thought he would have learned his lesson. 80 miles an hour on the freeway in a roadster with a short windshield = lost hat.

Thanks again Dan for lunch. Really appreciate it. Glad you were able to get up and going again.

Thanks Mark for showing us around. It was a great trip.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paul! I'm really glad you Dad came! What a seriously cool guy!!! Hope he comes to stuff more often... Bummer about the hats!!

6. Look's like you guys had a great time!..freaking work. We need more post breakfast road trips...this looks like it was truly a blast and great way to speand an afternoon. See ya'll on Saturday.

7. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Shit!! I live right around the corner, Wish i had known it was going on! I did see the old bi-plane fly over my house, but didnt think it was an open house. oh well, next time!

8. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

Fantastic Post Scott

great pictures.

Jeff
    Kitchener Ontario

9. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one taken on the way to Oshkosh last summer. Pretty tight fit.....

Attached Files:

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That could have been a photoshop job! ;):D:D:p

The plane turned out awesome, Mark! Great to see it all assembled this time! Fantastic work!

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Great pictures...I love those '30s racers. The silver plane is the Laird/Turner "Pesco Special" Owned by Roscoe Turner. In it he won the final Thompson Trophy race held in Cleveland on Sept 1st, 1939. the same day the Germans invaded Poland signaling the beginning of WWII and the end of civilian air racing till 1946.
    The original is at NASM. This one is a true work of art as is the Caudron..

Beautiful Planes from the Golden era of air racing.

12. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Thanks again Scoot and everyone else! The girls and myself all had a great time ! ! !

13. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

great photos!

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

A caudron C-460? A Laird Turner racer replica?....These are to airplane guys as the hilborn streamliner and the Burke tank are to hot rod guys....are you hiring?........how bout accepting volunteers?

15. N8B

N8B

Scott.
    Those are fantastic photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you make sure you let Holly know that I gave her that compliment...
    Maybe SHE can shoot the compound next weekend. hehehehe

16. 65Riviera

65Riviera

I love them racers, best of both worlds... Thanx for the pics

17. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

That's the truth right there...These racing planes...Gee Bee's, Laird/Turner, Wedell Williams, Keith Rider, Steve Wittman, Art Chester,etc, etc were typically built by guys exactly like hot rodders.... Most were built on a shoestring budget with minimal engineering and "went like stink". The passion that went into these was sufficient to cause many to risk their lives to get them into the air and race. Of course the incentive was great.... Most were trying to get a reputation as a top notch airplane builder, some hoping to capture the eye of the military, some just trying to keep a business afloat. The purse money from a "place win" at the Nationals could easily be enough seed money to either stay in business for another year or finance next years entry.(or pay off this years)

They were hot rods in the true sense of the word.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best part about looking at all these old planes is seeing the relationship and inspiration to early race cars and hot rods. Not to mention the use of ACTUAL plane parts in early race cars. It was a perfect fit, really!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will, Nate! She knows!

Her and I have been fighting over the camera a lot lately. She took all the driving shots and then gave it up so I could play around with the rest. We are both equally enthusiastic about photography. I think another camera is in our near future... :rolleyes:

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Great eye Scoot!!! Fun day for sure!

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

great pics Scooter, thanks for sharing

22. Fantastic photos! What a great day!

23. HELLMET

HELLMET

The guy who ran all the way to hemet and back to get the gaskets is famed new york pinstriper frank bird. He'll do anything for anyone great guy. Google him.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! Frank! Does he mind being called "Four finger Frank"??

Frank was really a cool guy! He drives the HELL out of that little RPU, also!

25. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frank is a solid dude and a good friend. He built that rpu in a very short period of time for an unbelievably small amount of $. Very talented guy in more ways than you can imagine. Thanks too to Justin for the use of his shop and tools. I was a little busy with the non flying fly-in, but JT made sure the car had what it needed. Even got the power back on so it could leave!

26. Great shots, can't beat Hot rods and old airplanes. When I was in college in the 70's I worked part time one summer for Bob Younkin, mostly did Stearmans. He also had a Howard DGA, Norseman and an early Curtiss pusher.

27. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

great photo's man! thanks for sharing :)

28. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Great photo's, great post. I love FlaBob. I hope it will stay the same forever. I would always get a rental car and go there when I was on layovers in Ontario in the early '90's. Many great fabricators and builders have called FlaBob home(and still do) I remember seeing a wood spar being laid up once when I was there and several guys were mixing up copious amounts of epoxy and not missing any moves with all the precision milled spruce, it was a very long one piece spar(perhaps for the Caudron?).

29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

When I was a kid we lived in the area. I periodically rode my bicycle to Flabob just to see whatever I could. At that time there were some WWII fighters parked outside. Pretty big-time stuff foir a kid to get close to. I was told they were used in movies. On one visit I saw what at the time was the smallest airplane ever to fly. Ex fighter pilot and stunt pilot Bob Starr flew out of Flabob, and he was one of to pilots who flew the mini plane. Bob Starr was also said to be the one who often flew a plane around the area at night that had a traveling light advertising sign on the bottom of the wings. Considering all the growth that has happened in the area it's nice to see the place is still there.