Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My stocker '30 A coupe turned hop-up!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Great looking stocker, duece frame, Hmmm

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Niccceee! Interested in a trade??!! :rolleyes::D

That's the perfect car for a hop-up!

3. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

4. I am liking the photochop very much.

5. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

If your lookin for a "Hop Up" or "Gow Job".....I think he nailed it right there...
    [​IMG]

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I used to think a 4" haircut looked the best on these year coupes, but lately I've been liking the way a 5" chop looks. I don't think you can go wrong with either chop!

7. pick

pick

My curent, and keeper ride is a 31 "A" I've had for 5 years and 20,000 miles. Best car i've ever owned, including a couple of big buck street rods. I LOVE the "A". It's mostly stock looking (black, the only way to go) but with 16" wires, minor lowering etc. It runs a pretty well hopped up banger with HC head, dual 97s, headers, and the best imporvement.... overdrive. t with itYou're going to enjoy your new ride. Do what ya' want with it. When ya' chop it just make sure to take the time to maintain the proper curves and proportions of the little windows behind the doors. It'll make or break the look of your chop. Have fun!

8. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

hotrd32, I totally agree! Thanks for the comments everyone, soon the coupe will go under the knife, still haven't settled on an amount for the chop, but really leaning towards 5 inches.

greazhonkey, I drove the coupe to work today and it made the trip with no hiccups. They have the base locked down now due to the whole Bin Laden deal, but I'll keep an eye out for ya doing work out there.

9. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Just picked up this 21 stud today for a price too good to pass up, looks like it's gonna be an AV8!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sweet, looks like a 35/36. Is it an LB block?

11. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Yep, it sure is!! The internals are spotless, and I feel a little bad because I lowballed the hell out of the guy, but he decided to go a different direction with his ratrod.... So one could look at it as I didn't rip him off, as much as I saved a great engine from a fate worse than death!! :D

Now I think I need to build a roadster instead of a coupe...... Dammit....!

12. Yep, that ol LB would look good in a roadster...

:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

Course chop that coupe and that lil mill will look and perform just awesome!!

13. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

very sweet I love the look of the a with aprons and no fenders .good work

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks hammeredrods, I appreciate the compliment!

Chris, you haven't helped my addiction!! A chop is in the works, but I go in for back surgery next Friday, so things won't be getting done around here for awhile.

More time to plan and mentally build my "perfect hop up"

15. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

I am not sure why some of us that have stock A get up set when someone buys a stock A and turns it into a Hot Rod. Me it doesn't brother at all. I look at it as a chance to buy the stock take off parts to keep my stock A's running. It looks good. I like the look of it unchoped. but that is just my 2 cents. enjoy your car they are a blast

16. diggin' this ride...

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that give me crap for changing the car to suit my tastes. Most of them are guys who drive mini vans to work and have no idea what a Model A really even is. I do like the comments, both positive and negative and enjoy conversation so it doesn't bother me either way.

I kinda like it unchopped as well, and may end up trading the coupe body for a roadster eventually so I'll hold of on chopping it for the time being. I am having a great time driving it around in stock form, and did plan on hopping up the banger until I came across the flathead. I will use the banger in my 28 special coupe (which will be a stock restoration)

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Looking really good Zombie. Yes, people will practically chase you down the street to tell you about how "they would have left it stock!" once you chop it.

Now you want a roadster? I don't blame you, I'd love to have a roadster too. If you chop it though you'll probably not want to get rid of it. I've had a lot of cars, some pretty cool ones, even other model A's, but I can honestly say once I chopped mine, I fell in love big time-all I want to do is drive it/stare at it/work on it, 24/7. Something about a chopped coupe that gets me going.

Good luck man. You should keep the coupe AND get a roadster..:D

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool coupe

I liked it with the fenders too, but than thats how I roll

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

These comments make me laugh.......Looks great Josh keep up the vision of a cool old Hot Rod.

21. A-Z, how did you do the headlight bar?

22. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I used the fender braces and the headlight bar. I trimmed both down to where I thought it looked good (*height and proportion wise*) and welded it up. Here are some pics, it's tough to describe :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ScottV

ScottV

Those crazy kids and thier souped up jalopies !!!! :p

I like it real hot rod fun !

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Just a little update, not much has been getting done on the coupe due to my back surgery. I tell you what, I have never been in so much pain.... Two weeks after and thankfully I'm on the mend with only a little pain to mild discomfort.

I found a set of '40 axles from rustryder here on the HAMB. The price was too good to pass up, and he was even kind enough to deliver and unload them for me. At first I was going to retain the mechanical brakes, but the later axles will handle the V8 much better. Had a few friends over to move some things around for me and all they asked for payment was a ride in the coupe :) How can you argue that??! I plan to chop the roof before I do the axle swap, but I still have a bunch of healing to do. Anyway, here's some pics.

Axles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time out of the garage in a month
    [​IMG]

Rumble seat view
    [​IMG]

Back at home... At least she's got good company :D
    [​IMG]

25. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

So, I pulled the right side head off of the V8, and found a mouse nest in the water jacket..... Greeeeeat..... After spending the last few hours removing material with a scribe I realize I have a long road ahead of me.

On a lighter note, I should be able to sell it on ebay since it's a vintage mouse nest. I heard that stuff is all the rage with rat rodders....

26. GaryC.

GaryC.

I like the look of what you have done.
    Here's a little food for thought.

Attached Files:

27. jamn47

jamn47

I'm sure you'll be happy with any decision you make... The simplicity of it, is what it's all about. I'm starting to like them fendered, no hood or sides and a simple Flathead with two carbs and a nice exhaust. I've always been a Hiboy guy but I like this other look now. Just an opinion! Good Luck!

28. I see, that's awesome! I need to find an extra pair of fender braces.

29. Nice photoshop!! Always liked the look of this thin model A wheels and tires, never saw a hot rodder using them, there are so weak for a hot rod?
    Remember the rolling bones 32 coupe patina!!

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow that paint scheme with that photoshop is badass.......I would run 40 Ford steelies though.